Vanquish - Now We Know!

Thanks.  Good info and not surprising since ML’s biggest challenge with Vanquish was providing a machine that was stable on salt beaches.  As a result, it is less optimized (or less hot) than Equinox for mid conductive targets (IOW not an ideal relic or small gold jewelry machine) and will hit silver and other high conductors well.  The only other question (besides signal processing like you mentioned) being whether it automatically dials back Transmit power when encountering black sand (or mineralized soil) like EQX does in Beach 1.  Nice “compromise” general purpose mode approach by ML.

This is a good question Chase .., although Minelab does not inform about it in manuals, it is possible that in extremely strong mineralization lowering TX to 1/3 of ... maximum TX, can also work the same as with Equinox ..

Simon .... you have a good idea., ..
all you need to do is repack the V340 electronics and coil into an improved GO-Find body.

My main problem with the Go-Find was the loose feel, which makes it feel like a cheap toy to me. If the handle locked firmly into place with no wiggle it would have made a big difference. Though for me to buy one you’d have to put a Gold Monster circuit in it. That would make for a great stuff in rucksack prospecting unit.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 5:50 PM, Chase Goldman said:

As a result, it is less optimized (or less hot) than Equinox for mid conductive targets (IOW not an ideal relic or small gold jewelry machine) and will hit silver and other high conductors well. 

How do you have come to that conclusion for not being a good relic machine? 

5 hours ago, Wester said:

How do you have come to that conclusion for not being a good relic machine? 

I didn't say "not good", I said "not ideal".   It is not optimal (compared to Equinox) due to the measured, fixed multi-frequency profile (discussed in the post previous to mine) which is weighted towards high conductors (it is effectively a tweaked Equinox Beach 1 mode equivalent, weighted towards the low frequency portion of the spectrum).  This is a compromise that gives it good general purpose capability and salt-beach stability.   That is why it is value priced and feature limited.  If you want a multi-frequency machine that is better optimized for relic hunting whose targets are primarily mid-conductors (brass, lead), Equinox gives you more options to tweak the machine for that type of hunting (of course also at a higher price point).   That being said, "not ideal" does not mean "not good" or "not capable".  You will find relics with the Vanquish, but you will also likely leave some relics in the ground that are partially masked by junk/orientation or at the limit of detection that might otherwise be detected by the Equinox.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Iit is effectively a tweaked Equinox Beach 1 mode equivalent, weighted towards the low frequency portion of the spectrum).  

So if the Russians are right with the frequency range of 7.8 kHz / 13 kHz / 18.2 kHz / 39 kHz. You mean by weighted towards the low freq spectrum 7.8 kHz/13kHz? It does have 18.2kHz/39Khz though.

2 hours ago, Wester said:

So if the Russians are right with the frequency range of 7.8 kHz / 13 kHz / 18.2 kHz / 39 kHz. You mean by weighted towards the low freq spectrum 7.8 kHz/13kHz? It does have 18.2kHz/39Khz though.

Yeah, but that looks most like like beach mode spectrum vs. any of the other mode frequency spectrums on the Equinox, that is why Vanquish is stable on a salt beach.  If you read the description of beach mode in the Equinox manual, it is the lowest frequency weighted mode.  The key is how much Vanquish is processing the 18.2kHz/39Khz signals.  Nobody knows.  Put another way, relic hunting with Vanquish is probably very similar to relic hunting in Beach 1 mode on the Equinox.  Not my ideal mode choice, but it will find some relics and may have some advantages in highly mineralized soil if it also automatically dials back transmit power like on the Equinox but there is no indication that it does that.

Here's where I drew my info from.
The English translation of the MD-Arena website page. Down towards the end of the readers comments [ie. angry Russians arguing ] are a scope screengrab, and some spectrum analysis.
MD-Arena page
I've attached the 'scope screen photo here, and also an Equinox Beach Mode waveform that Chiv posted on Geotech1. They match ( to my engineers eyes ) , what wasn't detailed was what mode the Vanquish was in at the time. It just may be different in some or other mode. So a little prudence is called for.

ChivEQX_B1.jpg

VanqTX-Russian.jpg