Vanquish - Now We Know!

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

I've attached the 'scope screen photo here, and also an Equinox Beach Mode waveform that Chiv posted on Geotech1. They match ( to my engineers eyes ) , what wasn't detailed was what mode the Vanquish was in at the time. It just may be different in some or other mode. So a little prudence is called for.

Thanks for the plots.  Good info.

I think (speculating here) from an Equinox "mode" perspective, Vanquish pretty much stays in one "mode" (i.e., a single Multi IQ search profile in Equinox terms - may eventually be verified by further scope tests with Vaquish switched into baits various modes) and the Vanquish "modes" (coin, jewelry, relic) are differentiated only by underlying changes in recovery speed (not user adjustable on Vanquish, unlike Equinox) and the associated default discrimination settings.  This is based simply by the way ML describes the modes for Vanquish vs. Equinox in the user guide (and excerpted below).  The engineering assessment of the output waveform provides additional evidence to support that conclusion which was discussed previously here.

SmartSelect_20200126-125018_Drive.jpg

The arm cuff seems to be close to the same as on the Equinox minus the foam padding. Both of mine have held together well but they have had Doc’s covers on them almost since day one. I’ll probably buy a cover for my Vanquish too soon. 

I am in NW Georgia in some iron rich red clay for a few days. There is very little EMI here so I got to do some in ground testing on a US nickel, US clad dime and a .25 gram piece of lead. I have my F19 with 10x5” stock coil  and Vanquish 340 with 10 x7” stock coil with me so I was able to use my F19’s depth meter, 19kHz frequency and good target ID as a reference. Plus I had access to an almost vertical well established embankment that I could place the targets into from the side so there was very little soil disturbance. 

I tested the nickel and dime at 9” depth and the .25 gram lead at 3”. I had the F19 in discrimination mode set on zero discrimination and 99 gain. The Vanquish 340 was in all metals accepted discrimination mode and maximum sensitivity. The F19 struggled a bit with all three targets but identified them correctly. The Vanquish 340 easily identified the nickel and dime. It also correctly identified the lead target but not as easily. By the way, the Vanquish 340 also passed Steve’s Bic pen air test and detected the titanium tip out to 1.25 inches with the same settings. 

Jeff

• Like 4

Jeff McCIendon.....

I admit that at 340 I kind of estimated performance similar to my Teknetics G2 and your test confirms it ... what I consider to be a very good performance ... another plus at 340 will be ... a little more impact on high conductive targets .. for equally-sized reels ...7x10" Vanquish vs 7.x11" tek G2... 

.it would be interesting to have a small 5x8 "Vanquish coil ... against your F19 on a 5x10" coil...

My Vanquish V340 is being sent to me by the vendor tomorrow, so soon I can tell you more about it ..

Thank you for testing and comparing performance between the two detectors ..

• Thanks 1

The Vanquish is doing very well on small gold and nickels, ok on lead in these real world tests (better than I would have expected for a pure beach profile), so I suspect ML has done some further optimization on Multi IQ here and I may just get my hands on a Vanquish to see how it does for relic hunting in mild and hot soils with the two coils (540).

• Like 3

Hey Chase

That’s great you got your hands on a 540 Vanquish. It will be good to hear your opinion on the Vanquish and this may tell if this detector is for me .

If you don’t like it my birthday is coming up in May.

Chuck 

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Hey Chase

That’s great you got your hands on a 540 Vanquish. It will be good to hear your opinion on the Vanquish and this may tell if this detector is for me .

If you don’t like it my birthday is coming up in May.

Chuck 

Chuck - Haven't gotten it yet.  Just seriously considering it based on user reports on mid conductor performance.

12 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I was able to use my F19’s depth meter, 19kHz frequency and good target ID as a reference.

Could you also take a Fe3O4 reading?

• Like 3

Testing was done with recently dug and not cleaned targets. Ground phase was 61.7 with 1 to 3 bars Fe3O4 reading, so mild to moderate mineralization in igneous/metamorphic granite, gneiss and schist decomposed red dirt.

Jeff

• Like 2

Today I got a shipment with Vanquish 340 ...
the first impression is good, and the operation of the detector itself is very simple ..., .. The weight of the detector with batteries is 1165 grams .....V10 coil ... has a true size of 17.7cm x 25.4 cm and a weight without coil cover exactly 360 grams ..

I made a short comparison of the detector range in the Jewerly program ... which is most sensitive to very small targets ../ compared to Allmetal /..

januar 8  Iphone5S 2020 007_DxO.jpg

The range in Centimeters is ... good-solid signal with ID...range to 0.1gram 24K gold is 11cm..excellent result for this class/Entry level/ of detector .. A... big plus/+/..is the highly conductive silver coin giving a high ton ...

januar 8  Iphone5S 2020 009_DxO.jpg

Simply adjust the detector to a straight bar to get a very compact detector dimensions with a length of 60 cm,  and 1100 grams weight..
This also adjusts but also shortens the maximum total length of the detector to only 105cm .. so it will be good eg for children ... or for special situations in very confined spaces ..
If the possibility of swapping the rod to the longer lower rod such adjustment will also be suitable for adult people.-that's my intention ..

Januar 9 iphone5S 2020 001_DxO.jpg

• Like 3