Sign in to follow this  
kac

Keeping Nel Big Coil Calibration On Stock Coil Boost?

I swapped out my Nel Big coil on my AT Pro and put the stock coil on and just for kicks I did a quick air test to see if there was any difference and I found that the targets now hit 15-20% further away ie dime at 10 inch instead of 8.

For those that don't have Garrett machines and a 3rd party coil, the procedure when changing coil Garrett says to do a factory reset of the machine.

So if anyone knows, does using a large coil setting on a stock coil essentially do a tx boost?

Do other machines require factory reset after changing coils?

Did a quick test in my yard with the settings but find it a little on the jittery side and need to drop the sensivity a notch or 2. It does gain a quite a bit of depth but not sure if it's worth the noise. Almost reminds me of the AT Max.

When I get a chance I'll test it in the local puddle and see if it falses out or has trouble before I do the factory reset.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, kac said:

I swapped out my Nel Big coil on my AT Pro and put the stock coil on and just for kicks I did a quick air test to see if there was any difference and I found that the targets now hit 15-20% further away ie dime at 10 inch instead of 8.

I'm confused.  The 10 inch deep dime was with what configuration?  Same question for the 8 inch deep dime.

I tried my Nel Tornado on my Ace 350, did a factory reset with it on, used it for a bit then without doing the factory reset put on the stock coil, I didn't get the same extra depth result you're getting off the AT Pro, the stock coil gave it's normal results.  I didn't do a reset with the stock coil back on obviously, maybe it's just a quirk with the AT Pro.   

I ended up going to factory reset as the machine was really unstable but it did hit a dime at 10 air test using Nel Big coil calibration on a stock coil. How the machine behaved in the real world it was actually not very usable. Perhaps in clean ground it might be ok but not around here.

I do think the AT Pro is toned down by the factory and probably for stability and made to be forgiving.

Did you gain more depth on your Ace?

No, it made absolutely no difference to the stock coil by having the Tornado on first in an air test, tested the same as it always does.  It does say in the Ace manual to factory reset after changing coil so I thought maybe it would give the same results as you are getting but it didn't.

The Tornado is WAY deeper than the stock coil too. 

Maybe the big is enough of a difference to throw the machine off, did have some descent depth but not worth the instability. Using my 5 clicks down from GB and I'm happy. Targets are consistent.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Fisher / Teknetics 2018 Coil Compatibility Chart
    • By yomahat
      Hi all,
      I am looking to buy an additional coil for my MK 14kHz to get some extra depth while in the field. I cannot decide between AF35 and KR40. Could you please advise which coil shall I purchase to add some depth for coin, jewellery and relic hunting and why?
      I would really appreciate your answer!
      Thank you in advance!

• By gambler
      whites garage sale  so I just ordered this from whites garage sale, now my question is when would I use each of these coils?

• By Glenn in CO
      Does anyone know any information on the new coil for the TDI SL and if the coil will be available separately?

TDI SL is now ... TDI Hi-Q
      A new high performance coil design for added depth -
      in two options
      TAN Part Number: 800-0334-Hi-Q
      CAMO 800-0334-Camo
      MSRP: $1199.95
      MAP: $1099.00

• By rled2005
      Has anyone found a lower shaft for White's TDI to adapt to Minelab coils or coils made for Minelab correctly without extra rubber washers? Tecknetic's lower shaft comes close but is too short.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      VLF detectors can come with DD or concentric coils. This is similar to but not quite the same thing as DD versus mono on a pulse induction detector. There are three basic coil types in wide use, Concentric, Double D (DD) and Mono. A VLY detector transmits and receives simultaneously and so there must be both a transmit coil and a receive coil. A pulse induction (PI) detector can alternate between transmit and receive and so one coil can be employed as both transmit and receive in an alternating fashion. There is confusion on this but simply put VLF (induction balance or continuous wave) detectors do not employ mono coils. A VLF can only employ the concentric or DD options. A pulse induction coil can  work with all three types.

Metal detector coil types illustrated - concentric vs DD vs mono
      VLF detectors are more alike than different these days. One thing that can make a real difference is what coil the detector comes with. Two very similar models will be quite different if one comes with a 12" round concentric, and another an 11" x 7" DD.
      In this case the very same detector can be turned into two different detectors by changing coils. Here are a couple rarely seen on the F75 - the 10" x 5" DD and 10" elliptical concentric. A big difference between the Teknetics T2 and Fisher F75 was that the F75 came later and the ability to use concentric coils was added. The T2 can only use DD coils.
      Why DD or concentric? DD coils are all the rage these days. However, concentrics have more consistent detection patterns with less dead spots up close. Every notice how that DD coil goes wacky on shallow targets? And concentric coils are much better at identifying flat ferrous targets like bottle caps. Here it is from the guy that should know best, Dave Johnson, lead designer on the F75.
      About Search Coils by Dave Johnson
      Search Coil Field Shape by Dave Johnson
      Coil Basics by Carl Moreland
      I like the 10" DD for the solid design, better for working in stubble or other locations where an open coil might hang up. The concentric just for being better behaved. The DD is the better prospecting coil for bad ground. Concentrics do well on milder ground.
      A note on coils. The blade like knife edged detecting pattern depicted in DD marketing ads is largely myth. Electromagnetic fields radiate and simple coils cannot focus them into beams. A round concentric coil has a search field shaped like a soccer ball cut in half. A similar size DD coil will have a search field more like a football cut in half lengthwise. If you ever doubt this, just fire up your detector with a DD coil, flip it over, and run a coin under the coil noting where the signal fades at different locations under the coil.
      Finally, depth is more related to coil width than coil length. Think of a 5" x 10" coil as a stretched out 5" coil, not as a skinny 10" coil. That is why when listing elliptical coil sizes you will often see me putting the small number first. Marketers do it the other way around so you tend to think you are getting more than you are.

Fisher F75 with 10" Elliptical DD Coil

Fisher F75 with 10" Elliptical Concentric Coil