Sign in to follow this  
kac

Keeping Nel Big Coil Calibration On Stock Coil Boost?

I swapped out my Nel Big coil on my AT Pro and put the stock coil on and just for kicks I did a quick air test to see if there was any difference and I found that the targets now hit 15-20% further away ie dime at 10 inch instead of 8.

For those that don't have Garrett machines and a 3rd party coil, the procedure when changing coil Garrett says to do a factory reset of the machine.

So if anyone knows, does using a large coil setting on a stock coil essentially do a tx boost?

Do other machines require factory reset after changing coils?

Did a quick test in my yard with the settings but find it a little on the jittery side and need to drop the sensivity a notch or 2. It does gain a quite a bit of depth but not sure if it's worth the noise. Almost reminds me of the AT Max.

When I get a chance I'll test it in the local puddle and see if it falses out or has trouble before I do the factory reset.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, kac said:

I swapped out my Nel Big coil on my AT Pro and put the stock coil on and just for kicks I did a quick air test to see if there was any difference and I found that the targets now hit 15-20% further away ie dime at 10 inch instead of 8.

I'm confused.  The 10 inch deep dime was with what configuration?  Same question for the 8 inch deep dime.

I tried my Nel Tornado on my Ace 350, did a factory reset with it on, used it for a bit then without doing the factory reset put on the stock coil, I didn't get the same extra depth result you're getting off the AT Pro, the stock coil gave it's normal results.  I didn't do a reset with the stock coil back on obviously, maybe it's just a quirk with the AT Pro.   

I ended up going to factory reset as the machine was really unstable but it did hit a dime at 10 air test using Nel Big coil calibration on a stock coil. How the machine behaved in the real world it was actually not very usable. Perhaps in clean ground it might be ok but not around here.

I do think the AT Pro is toned down by the factory and probably for stability and made to be forgiving.

Did you gain more depth on your Ace?

No, it made absolutely no difference to the stock coil by having the Tornado on first in an air test, tested the same as it always does.  It does say in the Ace manual to factory reset after changing coil so I thought maybe it would give the same results as you are getting but it didn't.

The Tornado is WAY deeper than the stock coil too. 

Maybe the big is enough of a difference to throw the machine off, did have some descent depth but not worth the instability. Using my 5 clicks down from GB and I'm happy. Targets are consistent.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JohnnyRox
      I have a Sovereign XS2-a Pro and was looking at aftermarket coils.  
      Any of you fellas use one?  Does it go deeper than stock 10 inch coil?  How's the stability?  
      Any other coils you guys use/recommend? 

• By Skullgolddiver
      After a busy week, doing an effort between heavy rain interruptions, I finally finished this work!
      Thanks for all people involved in this project for their knowledge shared...
      Underwater test next week(I hope)

• By Bohemia Miner
      I was wondering what you serious “Water” hunters use to weigh down your coils.  Someone once suggested taking a “tube” sock, filling it with sand, tying it in a circle (like an ankle weight) and sliding in over your lower rod having it lay on the coil.
      I’ve also seen bandanas (to keep you cool) with Silica Gel sewed in to them.  They absorb the water and expand making them heavier than they are dry. I wonder if you had enough in there, would that work also?
      Thanks!
      Walt

• By dogodog
      I have a slight issue with my 11'' coil. Almost from day one it does not pin point in the center of the coil. It was about 2'' toward the nose, not that big a deal at the time. Now it hits anywhere on the whole edge, which means I have a 11'' pinpoint spot. This is very hard to find center target now. Also it is becoming knock sensitive on grass and gets a little chattery even on good solid targets. This coil is only about 4 months old. That being said who should I contact first, Nokta or the service center in Georgia? Anyone have any experience sending stuff back?
    • By Joe D.
      Hello all,
            A little primer first; as some of you may know, my Equinox is in "the shop", due to previously posted issues!  No worries; using the old trusty At Pro!   
           So between Covid, and the horrendous heat wave we are experiencing, i haven't been out much to detect!  But many of you have been out, and posting!  So i just had to suck it up, and get my butt out in it!! Summers here used to be a nice balmy Easterly breeze most every day! The last several years have been unusually hot and humid, with little to no breeze, and record temps! Dangerous conditions, if you don't hydrate well! 
          So, i decided to hit a few local parks, that I've hunted previously, a year or two ago! And stick to the "shaded" areas to make it bearable!  Yesterday i had the 5x8 stock coil on, and did about 3 hours, before it became unbearable! I was soaked, but did well enough for what i expected to find!
      Today was much the same, in a different park! With the 8x11 stock coil! This park has very large tree's, so the added depth helps here, due to very rich soil! 
         My results; as you will see below; are fairly typical of my park area's!   Oldest coin was a 1955 D nickel!  Along with a few early 60's; and up to present day coins!  Not exactly ideal finds, but goes with the age of the area's that are accessible here! And it keeps my skills up! I included some of the junk items in my  "paper towel" displays for future reference! 
         I'm looking forward (probably 6ish weeks) to getting the Equinox back, and get back to the beaches! 👍👍