I went out today for a couple hours to a school not visited previously. The old wood chip tot lot was the target area. All I ended up finding were 4 quarters, 2 nickels, 7 pennies, a small button off something, a rivet off some clothing or a shoe, and a strange metal piece that showed up in the foil range. There were indeed some junk items today but not in the picture (can slaw, a zipper, foil, a few pencil tops). I had the feeling someone else had been at this spot before because it was really quiet. Well they didn't get these! It's getting more and more difficult in these places and the finds are more difficult to pull. All the other counties around us where there are probably good things located within school grounds have a strict "KEEP OUT" policy and don't allow any kind of public activity on school grounds.

091519_finds.jpg

• Like 7

That's still pretty decent, there would be nothing stopping me detecting schools here, easy access but I can't imagine them being good places to detect, maybe I'm wrong.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, RobNC said:

a strange metal piece that showed up in the foil range.

Is it a broken piece of jewerly?  Seems like a low conductivity for silver or even silver plated copper, but it sure looks like silver in the photo.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, RobNC said:

All the other counties around us where there are probably good things located within school grounds have a strict "KEEP OUT" policy and don't allow any kind of public activity on school grounds.

I sure hate to hear that.  I'm one of the fortunate ones who lives in an area where there are still coins buried on public grounds and no rules against hunting for them.

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's still pretty decent, there would be nothing stopping me detecting schools here, easy access but I can't imagine them being good places to detect, maybe I'm wrong.

Hands down, school's have produced the most for me. In fact, most of my silver and gold rings have been found at schools. High schools are the best. The e-trac was very good at sniffing out rings if there was not too much trash. I now live in a location where schools are all fenced and gated off. 

• Like 2

Not bad, at least you found something.

Pencil eraser bands always trip me up, get my hopes up they are a gold ear ring.

8 hours ago, kac said:

Not bad, at least you found something.

Pencil eraser bands always trip me up, get my hopes up they are a gold ear ring.

Those pencil erasers come in slightly higher than a nickel on my T2, in the small gold range. It's always a disappointment to recover one. I guess the kids feel like if they "lose" their pencil that is an excuse not to do more work that day. hahaha

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, phrunt said:

I would give that some more though mate. The modern ones too much junk but old ones that have been closed since the sixties can be a real bonanza and have a high count of silver coins if not previously detected correctly. If the pennies and half pennies are gone (easy found), most of the early detector users just used high discrimination to avoid the junk and fortunately the good silver coins. As for gold coins the wife is one ahead of you, and it looks like you are one in front of me.😭 If I ever get time I will post some of my coins (Gold Field Tokens) that I have found over the years on the prospecting site. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If anything your a dollar seventeen richer 💸

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By devilsrenegade
      The mxt hit a home run at an old ballpark recently with this 43 war nickel. Also found a wheat penny and some clad and a little trash. Funny thing happened on this particular hunt, I was heckled by a passerby in their vehicle who pointed at me and laughed out loud, don't know if he was laughing at me or my old White's detector . Anyway I didn't let it get me down and had a good hunt. Has that ever happened to anyone else on the forum ?  

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By devilsrenegade
      Was nice day with the t2 going over some sidewalk strips. 

• By kac
      Couple years ago I hit one of the swim holes not too far away and in a 10-15 sq ft area hit nickel after nickel......... Was thinking someone was trying to drown their kid by stuffing coins in their pocket and telling them to go for a swim.

• By 2Valen
      What a day it has been, Working and then taking a break for an hour so I had to do a little hunting with the 800.
      Today I went back to a local park just to kill a little bit of time before I had to go to meet someone.
      I pulled into the park at about 4 pm and grabbed the 800.
      Turned it on and went to Park 1 with factory setting, did noise cancel, and started swinging.
      The first 3 hits were all aluminum and the 4th was a bolt from who knows what.
      The 4th hole made a noise that I had never heard before, a chatter and the ID number changed from a strong 36 to a 21 during the noise.
      I knelt down to start digging as the depth showed 3 arrows and I proceeded slowly to reach whatever was down there.
      Because of the chatter I did not truly know what to expect and moved the dirt slowly as to find the reason for the chatter.
      To my surprise I noticed an edge of something in the dirt, and I pulled more dirt from the sides of the edge so I could get a grip on it.
      I pulled it out of the ground and to my surprise it was a 1902 dime, it had seen better days but it was still a sight to see.
      I then hit a area where someone must of lost all of his change and someone else's at the same time.
      The more I pulled off the ground from under the grass, the more my pin pointer detected.
      I could not find a place to set the pin pointer without it going off. It took about 15 minutes to pick out the coins from the grass.
      I looked at the time and had to leave while having so much fun, but had to get back to work.
      All the coins in the picture ranged from 1902 to 2018.
      I think I am getting the hang of this detecting thing and can't wait to get out again. Just don't tell my wife because she gets mad.

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Found this small 10k class ring this morning.
      And another junk ring.
      And few coins mostly nickels.
      Will try to return class ring.
      Has first name engraved .
      https://postimg.cc/gallery/ize0kr3u/