Slim Pickin's

I went out today for a couple hours to a school not visited previously. The old wood chip tot lot was the target area. All I ended up finding were 4 quarters, 2 nickels, 7 pennies, a small button off something, a rivet off some clothing or a shoe, and a strange metal piece that showed up in the foil range. There were indeed some junk items today but not in the picture (can slaw, a zipper, foil, a few pencil tops). I had the feeling someone else had been at this spot before because it was really quiet. Well they didn't get these! It's getting more and more difficult in these places and the finds are more difficult to pull. All the other counties around us where there are probably good things located within school grounds have a strict "KEEP OUT" policy and don't allow any kind of public activity on school grounds.

091519_finds.jpg

• Like 6

On 9/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, RobNC said:

a strange metal piece that showed up in the foil range.

Is it a broken piece of jewerly?  Seems like a low conductivity for silver or even silver plated copper, but it sure looks like silver in the photo.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:59 PM, RobNC said:

All the other counties around us where there are probably good things located within school grounds have a strict "KEEP OUT" policy and don't allow any kind of public activity on school grounds.

I sure hate to hear that.  I'm one of the fortunate ones who lives in an area where there are still coins buried on public grounds and no rules against hunting for them.

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's still pretty decent, there would be nothing stopping me detecting schools here, easy access but I can't imagine them being good places to detect, maybe I'm wrong.

Hands down, school's have produced the most for me. In fact, most of my silver and gold rings have been found at schools. High schools are the best. The e-trac was very good at sniffing out rings if there was not too much trash. I now live in a location where schools are all fenced and gated off. 

• Like 1

Not bad, at least you found something.

Pencil eraser bands always trip me up, get my hopes up they are a gold ear ring.

8 hours ago, kac said:

Not bad, at least you found something.

Pencil eraser bands always trip me up, get my hopes up they are a gold ear ring.

Those pencil erasers come in slightly higher than a nickel on my T2, in the small gold range. It's always a disappointment to recover one. I guess the kids feel like if they "lose" their pencil that is an excuse not to do more work that day. hahaha

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, phrunt said:

That's still pretty decent, there would be nothing stopping me detecting schools here, easy access but I can't imagine them being good places to detect, maybe I'm wrong.

I would give that some more though mate. The modern ones too much junk but old ones that have been closed since the sixties can be a real bonanza and have a high count of silver coins if not previously detected correctly. If the pennies and half pennies are gone (easy found), most of the early detector users just used high discrimination to avoid the junk and fortunately the good silver coins. As for gold coins the wife is one ahead of you, and it looks like you are one in front of me.😭 If I ever get time I will post some of my coins (Gold Field Tokens) that I have found over the years on the prospecting site. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...