My Drought Is Hopefully Over

57buick

this same park continues to be relentless with the pull tabs day after day lol Another load of mostly old pull tabs and a copper ring and a wheat penny today. Im convinced there has got to be more good stuff here somewhere.

The copper ring and the wheatie were both found in hole with a pull tab, nothing different in the signal than every other pull tab I dug so it was completely masked as far as the NOX was concerned and that was in Field 1 so the recovery speed is at 6 I think

pull tabs9-23-19.JPG

ring9-23-19.JPG

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 57buick said:

The copper ring and the wheatie were both found in hole with a pull tab, nothing different in the signal than every other pull tab I dug so it was completely masked as far as the NOX was concerned and that was in Field 1....

If I recall correctly, the Field modes are set up to be more responsive to low conductors, and that would include the pulltabs (at the expense of the copper items, etc.)  That doesn't mean that the Park modes (optimized for high conductors) would necessarily have given you a hint of the ring and Wheatie, but it would have likely had a better chance to do so.

Lesson here, though, as you've pointed out -- trash (and those pulltab signals could have been gold rings...) can mask or in the least make it difficult to detect the desirable targets.  Given the time, cleaning them out is helpful to more than just the environment.

43 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If I recall correctly, the Field modes are set up to be more responsive to low conductors, and that would include the pulltabs (at the expense of the copper items, etc.)  That doesn't mean that the Park modes (optimized for high conductors) would necessarily have given you a hint of the ring and Wheatie, but it would have likely had a better chance to do so.

Lesson here, though, as you've pointed out -- trash (and those pulltab signals could have been gold rings...) can mask or in the least make it difficult to detect the desirable targets.  Given the time, cleaning them out is helpful to more than just the environment.

Well and I am using the small 6" coil because of the density of trash so my thinking was that I needed more sensitivity to make up for the small coil to detect anything old and deeper than 4 inches or so? At least thats what my thought process has been? Tell me if im thinking wrong

Should I try a different mode? This park is 200 years old and is all river rock everywhere ive dug so its hard digging anyway. But the river rock is natural. Dont think it was ever deposited by man. It runs along a creek that feeds off the main river. And its the main historical site for the whole city, the first pioneers to develop this part of the state lived on this property and their house is still there. He became the big bank owner in this city

3 hours ago, 57buick said:

Should I try a different mode?

There are others here (e.g. Chase Goldman) who can better answer your question.  I have all three Minelab coils for the Eqx but I've mostly used the stock 11".  Certainly a smaller coil encompasses less ground which can help with both mineralization issues and number of targets in the field of view.  It also gets less depth.  However, both of these considerations are often over-emphasized.  That is, the 11" still has good target separation and the 6" good depth.  Yes, the choice helps, but it tends to be more helpful/necessary in extreme situations.  That's what I've read, not what I've found by my own testing and field work.  You have to determine what is optimal for you, and likely any choice will still produce good finds.

As far as selection of modes, again it's not a binary (right/wrong) decision.  All modes will find treasure; all modes will have problems in extreme background.  From what I've read, the intent of Minelab (as determined by engineers and volunteer field testers) was to optimize the Park modes for common more/less modern higher conductive coins and the field modes for lower conductivity relics and ancient coins such as lead bullets and very thin hammered British Isle and European coins.  1 modes are for larger items (like coins) and 2 modes are for the smaller items (like small jewelry), and that's for both Park and Field.  Beach and Gold modes have '1' meaning normal conditions and '2' for extreme conditions, but the definition of 'normal' and 'extreme' need to be investigated more deeply.

Don't let anyone fool you (and I don't think they're trying to do that) into thinking s/he knows the optimum mode in all nor even in a particular situation.  There probably is an optimal setting, but figuring it out is difficult if not impossible, and further, there are probably several settings that get close enough.  Do you (not 'you' specifically, just 'you' as in anyone out there reading this) want to spend your valuable time tweaking settings to absolute optimal or getting close in a short amount of time and then doing what we all like to do -- search for treasure?

Bottom line is that some optimization of detector choice, coil choice, mode choice, and settings choice is warranted but don't overdo it.

I hope I've answered your question and not made the waters even murkier.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

There are others here (e.g. Chase Goldman) who can better answer your question.  I have all three Minelab coils for the Eqx but I've mostly used the stock 11".  Certainly a smaller coil encompasses less ground which can help with both mineralization issues and number of targets in the field of view.  It also gets less depth.  However, both of these considerations are often over-emphasized.  That is, the 11" still has good target separation and the 6" good depth.  Yes, the choice helps, but it tends to be more helpful/necessary in extreme situations.  That's what I've read, not what I've found by my own testing and field work.  You have to determine what is optimal for you, and likely any choice will still produce good finds.

As far as selection of modes, again it's not a binary (right/wrong) decision.  All modes will find treasure; all modes will have problems in extreme background.  From what I've read, the intent of Minelab (as determined by engineers and volunteer field testers) was to optimize the Park modes for common more/less modern higher conductive coins and the field modes for lower conductivity relics and ancient coins such as lead bullets and very thin hammered British Isle and European coins.  1 modes are for larger items (like coins) and 2 modes are for the smaller items (like small jewelry), and that's for both Park and Field.  Beach and Gold modes have '1' meaning normal conditions and '2' for extreme conditions, but the definition of 'normal' and 'extreme' need to be investigated more deeply.

Don't let anyone fool you (and I don't think they're trying to do that) into thinking s/he knows the optimum mode in all nor even in a particular situation.  There probably is an optimal setting, but figuring it out is difficult if not impossible, and further, there are probably several settings that get close enough.  Do you (not 'you' specifically, just 'you' as in anyone out there reading this) want to spend your valuable time tweaking settings to absolute optimal or getting close in a short amount of time and then doing what we all like to do -- search for treasure?

Bottom line is that some optimization of detector choice, coil choice, mode choice, and settings choice is warranted but don't overdo it.

I hope I've answered your question and not made the waters even murkier.

My ears were burning.  :smile:

First of all, great finds.  Yes, your drought is over.

Anyway, GB is giving you good advice, 57buick.  However, I thought I would clarify some stuff regarding the modes and give you some "operational" pointers for your difficult dense non-ferrous target situation.

First of all, on the modes.  For the following, I am talking only Park and Field.  Beach and Gold modes are very specific to their descriptors, however, those modes have situational application to other situations/targets too - for example, some folks have had good success with Beach modes on very mineralized ground nowhere near any beaches and Gold mode is a great "change of pace" mode for relic or coin hunting or for interrogating targets on the fly, but more about that later.  For Park and Field, as GB said, the "1" modes are set up for larger targets and the "2" modes are set up for smaller targets.  However,  I have  a slight correction to what GB said regarding the target types.  Specifically, Park 1 and Field 1 are optimized for high conductive targets (like silver or copper and clad coins) and/or large targets based on the "lower weighted" frequency profiles that ML has applied using Multi IQ.  Park 2 and Field 2 are optimized for smaller and/or lower conductive targets like lead, aluminum, brass, and gold jewelry and relics.  But as GB said, these "optimizations" are really just ML guidelines because just like everything else in detecting, there are no "hard and fast" rules, no certainties (other than your best discriminator is your digger and eyes and you can't detect a target if you don't get your coil over it), and no free lunches.  Everything is a matter of tradeoffs.  And, yes, I would recommend, hitting that site with more than just one mode even though any one mode should be able to be used to snag a wide variety of targets despite their published "optimized" target objectives.  The Equinox, with its various Multi IQ modes, single frequency options, speed settings and gives you versatility unmatched by just about any other detector out there (the Deus comes close and I find myself using one or the other at just about any site I visit as they have complimentary performance - you might want to consider hanging on to yours if you can afford to - the newer X35 coils are amazing and will really open things up).  So if you have the luxury of time and unlimited access to that site, definitely hit it with different modes, different settings, and different search patterns.  And keep removing the junk that is potentially masking keepers.  Many folks do not have the time and/or patience to do so and you will likely be rewarded for doing so.

A couple of other "operational" tips - use pinpoint to gage the size of the target > can be useful in IDing aluminum cans which might ring up high.  You can trace the "footprint" of the target to quickly tell the difference between a larger target (can) vs. a coin or pull tab.

Hit iffy signals with multiple modes (what I call target interrogation).  If I am searching for relics, I primarily use field 2 but like to keep either Park 1 or Gold in my User Profile slot for ready access see if the iffy signal changes or a high conductive signal comes out of the muck.  Similarly, if I am not already searching in ALL METAL, if I encounter clipped signals, I will turn off disc using the Horseshoe button to see what the signal sounds like.  If it has a strong ferrous tone, then likely ferrous falsing, but may still dig it to make sure, but I least my "expectations" are properly set when I dig and I might get pleasantly surprised.

This works better in thick iron situations than thick non-ferrous trash situations, but try lowering sensitivity some.  That might actually allow deeper keeper, high conductive targets to pop out of the aluminum muck because the detector will be less overloaded by the shallower aluminum tab signal.  Like I said, this works better with heavy iron infested ground.  Another suggestion is to hit the area with single frequency like 5 or 10 khz to see if you can get high conductive targets to pop more. 

Anyway, maybe you can try some of these things out.  No hard and fast rules, use your go to "optimal" settings and if the site begins to dry up, try something different.  No site is ever really hunted out, it just becomes a greater challenge.  HTH.

• Like 1

used the larger 11" coil today and park 1 and 2, seemed to work just as well I guess. still ots of trash but pulled up this weird Indian or Aztec medallion, copper ring and a lot of pennys.

The medallion seems to be made of brass I think

9-29-19loot.JPG

9-29-19 medallionfront.JPG

9-29-19 medallionback.JPG

• Like 3