New Firmware 2.0

PUHH

From Russian forum https://www.reviewdetector.ru/index.php?showtopic=1740349&st=29400

More info (Google translate) :

Based on the data received from Equinox users from around the world, some software adjustments were made to improve the operation of the basic functions of the device. In addition, smoother backlighting has been made possible for the Minelab Equinox 600.
Now the EQUINOX 600 has a function to adjust the backlight brightness - “Low”, corresponding to the minimum backlight level of the EQUINOX 800.
And, probably, the most anticipated - thanks to the addition of a new settings profile, the advanced Iron Indicator feature has become available.
The initial settings of the Iron Indicator EQUINOX (Fe) will also be available, but now it is possible to switch to the new setting Fe 2. When turned on, a wider range of iron targets is cut off from the search, including and bottle caps

• Like 2

I think there is something to this -- and I think the translation provided by PUHH may be "real" information.

Reason being, last week someone made a post on NASA-Tom Dankowski's forum, about the two available software versions for the EQX (1.5, and 1.75), and how that person felt that 1.5 was less "falsy" around iron, and possibly better overall.  NASA-Tom responded with a somewhat "cryptic" answer to the question, that there might be a "fix" for this person's concerns (presumably "falsing" high-tones from iron targets), in the "upcoming week" (which is this week).  I took that to mean that there may be a new software update on the near-term horizon, presumably improving the Equinox's performance in and around iron...and the chatter here seems to confirm/be related to that...

Should be interesting...

Steve

Hopefully, if this isn't a hoax, the update will also fix the flakey button pinpointing where the sound sometimes doesn't come on and requires turning pinpointing off then back on again before it works.  Yes, I do pinpoint with the coil method, but there are instances where the button pinpointer helps.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I've had a lot of trouble with this lately but after a fair bit of experimenting I've found it does this most if there is discriminated out iron under the coil when you press the pinpoint button.  If I am in all metal horse shoe mode and the ground is clear under the coil when I press the button it never seems to happen.  Try it out.

Great tip, Simon. Will give it a shot.  You'd think there would be a simple firmware fix for this though.

8 hours ago, Sting Ray said:

From Russia eh?   Any mention to who they selected for the USA in 2020?   

I seriously wish the update will allow mode selection to backward and not 7 clicks to go back to previous mode.   Wishful thinking.   Solid target ID would be very helpful

I too have wanted that back button.  That is why I choose a compatble "2nd" mode for whatever site I'm searching to plug into the user profile slot so I can quickly toggle between the two in the field.  E.g. Field 2 and Park 1 or Beach 1 and Gold 1 (on dry sand), etc. for interrogating targets etc.  A back button would be helpful navigating the settings menu also.

Variable target ID is a strong indicator as to whether I am dealing with junk or not.  Especially if I am using 50 tones, "flutey" sounding targets are a great audio cue of a bottlecap.  If the target is a coin or ring, then I usually get a solid ID and it really says dig me unless it is a known junk target ID associated with a pull tab, etc.

• Like 1

After the first update it was supposed to help ID silver on edge better. I don’t feel like it did much all honestly in that aspect. Anything larger than a dime and it’s still not a great signal compared to it being flat on the ground. Anyone else not get that great of results from the first update?