New Firmware 2.0

PUHH

IF they change the way it "wraps around", to me that would be HUGE for us water hunters.  It would clean up all that pesty falsing in the sower digits and i could eliminate more of the upper digits.   It appears as though they are working on those pesty bottle caps.   As far as stable digits..... for a single digit machine i think it does quite well.... especially for as fast as it is.   If it holds those digits to long ..... plain and simple you will miss targets going to fast.

18 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Looking forward to an update if and when it’s available. Hopefully it will improve target ID at the beach.

I highly doubt that in salt water, wet sand water contact, target ID will get better. The nox is a batch machine.....get -1, +10, +2, -1, +13...….it is probably a true +8. 

Dave

6 hours ago, cobb05 said:

After the first update it was supposed to help ID silver on edge better. I don’t feel like it did much all honestly in that aspect. Anything larger than a dime and it’s still not a great signal compared to it being flat on the ground. Anyone else not get that great of results from the first update?

Yes.  Same here.  There was definitely a "change," in how it sees on-edge silver coins/rings, in the newer update, but it didn't improve it substantially, IMO.

I specifically tested the machine, once version 1.75 was released, focused in particular on the "on-edge" thing.  However, I did not note all that much improvement (in air testing).  There is definitely "different" behavior there, and I'd say there was some "marginal" improvement, but not enough to make a huge difference, IMO -- at least not with air testing. 

With that said, I will say that I dig a reasonable number of "mid-depth" coins on edge, with the Equinox (4 to 5" or so), and I dig ALOT of them that are "partially" on edge (say 45 degrees canted) from deep depths, so it's not like the machine is "awful" at coins that are oriented "other than flat."  It's just that for certain targets, directly on edge, it struggles.  And the improvement in 1.75 was not nearly as great as I had hoped, as compared to 1.5.

Phrunt, if you are able to dig coins that are entirely on edge (vertical) -- down to the limits of the machine's depth, with a "coin-type" ID, you are able to accomplish something that I can't.  If I recall, it DOES do better in that regard with smaller coins, (I'm trying to think back to the testing I did a year ago), but still...I'd LOVE to have those results, that you describe!

Steve

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I am truly puzzled by people saying the Nox doesn't have a solid target ID, I'm constantly amazed by how rock solid it's target ID's are especially on coins even at extreme depth.... maybe it's just my mild soil although I've found the same thing on the beaches here too.

You need to come try your Equinox in my test garden (but I realize it's a pretty long drive 😁).  Deeper means less TID stability.  My interpretation is that it's my soil mineralization (3 bars out of 7 Fe3O4 on Fisher Gold Bug Pro, 0.1% to 0.3% Fe3O4 on Fisher F75).  For example, on a 7" deep silver dime the TID can vary (in a jumpy way, changing with each half swing) from 21 to 35.  (Air test 26-28.)  That's with 11" coil in Park 1, Recovery Speed = 5, Gain = 20, Iron Bias = 0, both 5 tones and 50 tones.  By comparison, at 4" depth it's tighter but still not locked in -- TID range 25-30.  All these are with coil centered on target (since it's test garden I know where the coin is).

I also hold out the possibility that there's a variation between actual detectors (manufacture 'tolerance') although I realize some have poo-pooed that.  Another reason for you to bring your detector to my test garden.

I have not had any major trouble detecting coins on edge at depths of 6" or more in my 4 to 5 bar Fe3O4 dirt with the Nox. The fact is my dirt is so bad sometimes in my area that I am lucky to even detect a 6" coin sized target with my other VLF detectors! If the Nox can detect coins on edge here at 6" including silver, and can hit coins with accurate enough target ID at 8" or more for me to know what is under the coil, I feel like I am way ahead of the game. Yes, the numbers do jump some the deeper the target, but I still know it is a copper, clad or silver high conductive coin and not a zinc penny or nickel. At more than 4" here my other detectors all read coin sized targets as high conductor big silver targets numerically or give no numerical target ID and just give the highest tone setting for an audio response.

I did the update to 1.75. I noticed more accurate depth readings, better pinpointing and somewhat better coin on edge detecting.

This may be a dumb statement, but ALL of the VLF detectors I have used have some degree of trouble detecting coins on edge, especially with DD coils. Am I missing something??????? Was there some advertising hype or stated expectation that the Nox would have no issues with coins on edge?

Jeff

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Yes, the numbers do jump some the deeper the target, but I still know it is a copper, clad or silver high conductive coin and not a zinc penny or nickel.

I agree, and I hope it doesn't come off that I'm complaining about the Equinox TID.  My other detectors don't lock onto the TID, either.  Maybe some are a bit tighter -- I haven' t really studied it closely.  But I'm digging everything above 23 and usually 19-23 (Zincoln zone) as well.  There do seem to be a lot of targets that come in right around nickel but, again, if 50% (or more) 12-13's I'm digging it.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, phrunt said:

I've certainly experienced big iron giving ID's up around 13, so if they're fixing that, excellent.

I'm sure 600 users will appreciate the lower light backlight.

In some of our older sites old tools like axe heads, picks, hoes, etc., tend to ring up around nickle on the EQ800, but they have a dull'ish sound to them vs a nickle which excites the EQ800 to no end.  Hard to explain, but if they can properly ID these large iron tools that would be great, although I don't mind digging them, some of them end up going home with me.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

I am truly puzzled by people saying the Nox doesn't have a solid target ID, I'm constantly amazed by how rock solid it's target ID's are especially on coins even at extreme depth....

I forced myself to lean and only use 50 tones, because I figured if one focused on the audio, they would learn nuances and clues.  Still plenty to learn, but I mainly hunt by tones, although there are certainly patterns I enjoy seeing on the TID display as well.  I've seen, and recorded silver dimes ringing up anywhere from 23 - 32, that's a big spread, but they were all depths, angles, orientations, some holed, some holed multiple times, etc., and they all had one thing in common, a tinkly dig me audio characteristic.  So while the TID# may not always be the same, the audio is usually telling.  Certain sites seem to bring the TID#'s up or down, mineralization, depth, types of dimes (thin seateds vs meaty barbers and mercs?), tough sites with heavy alkali or other mineralization can skew the numbers in any number of ways. 

• Like 8

I did my update to 1.7.5 yesterday . Wont be out with the Nox for a while. Too busy hoovering up with the ET which has got better Target info. Gold number 12 yesterday for the year. 3 for the Nox and 9 for the ET . 

The Nox is best when not having to rely on target info as much.