You Never Know What's In Your Back Yard

2Valen

15 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's pretty cool, I found a silver in my front yard, no match for your finds 🙂

I am still learning this unit and like I have stated in the past, I am only a novice at this. I have only been doing this for a few months, but without this forum and the people here I would have given up before now.

You guys are great and give great information. I am only lucky that in the area that I live in people just don't know what is still buried in the ground.

Some people have seen me panning for gold here and think I am crazy, but I have pulled a few ounces out of the creeks.

Friends have found more than me and even diamonds in the same places that I have done. I think that when I try to learn something I just don't give up, I work out the problem and keep going.

I know that you have found things that I will never find, and only because of where I am at I have gotten lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacky said:

I'm jealous,  my subdivision was built on farm fields in the late 60s.

Go back 150 years and what was there, could have been a trading post, stagecoach stop, or a mining town.

You will never know until you check local records. Good luck in what you might find in your own yard, and go deep as they have probably brought in new soil to put on top of what was there.

• Like 1

Sage brush was there. Boise only started 150 years ago. We are a pretty young state. Prior to the gold rushes in the 1860s it was mostly only Indians. The outer areas of boise (not the old areas) were sage brush till irrigation enabled farming, then farms till the growing population caused the fields to be turned into subdivisions. There are some small townsites that have been absorbed,  but they weren't where I'm located. On the east coast/older areas it can be a big mystery what was there before. Here it's a very boring answer.

• Like 1

25 minutes in the backyard and two excellent coin finds!  You've made a lot of progress since you first posted here.  Glad to have helped but obviously you've learned how to learn on your own.  Nothing like a good find to bolster the confidence (and the enthusiasm).  Hope your wife doesn't mind your yard looking like a mine field.  Tell her it's those damn moles.  😁

• Like 1

Very nice job!  I'd LOVE to have things like that available to find in my own yard!

SUPER!

Steve

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacky said:

Here it's a very boring answer.

One of my friends who lives on a small farm was saying the exact same thing about his yard. He has a Whites detector and a few days ago I went out to his house and did a little detecting with him. I spotted and he dug. By the end of a few hours he had dug up several coins from the early 1900's also a 1891 $1 gold coin. Granted there was a lot of trash from farm animals and farm equipment that he dug up also.

One can never know what is there until they try to uncover whats below the surface.

Indians did trade gold up until the 1900's and they made jewelry from silver, so you never know what to expect.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:23 PM, 2Valen said:

So there has been 2 churches on this property plus an old house that was torn down over the past 125 years.

Update on this sentence that I wrote.

I have 3 100x150 lots and the house was on the 3rd lot next to the original church. Another church took it over and then a Masonic Lodge had it for 35 years.

That building was torn down and then the church I have now was built at that time. This place has been here since 1957 and is now my home.

So I plan to rid my yard of every single piece of metal in it. I only wish I had know all of this before I built my 36x36 garage.

7 hours ago, 2Valen said:

One of my friends who lives on a small farm was saying the exact same thing about his yard. He has a Whites detector and a few days ago I went out to his house and did a little detecting with him. I spotted and he dug. By the end of a few hours he had dug up several coins from the early 1900's also a 1891 $1 gold coin. Granted there was a lot of trash from farm animals and farm equipment that he dug up also.

One can never know what is there until they try to uncover whats below the surface.

Indians did trade gold up until the 1900's and they made jewelry from silver, so you never know what to expect.

Yeah, I hear ya, and it isn't impossible that there could be something good. Its just far less likely than lots of other places I have researched. If I was under house arrest then yeah, I'd search the hell out my yard. But that not being the case pretty much anywhere in the older sections of town is more likely and close, the river is more likely and close, lots of parks, playgrounds, etc. My house literally sat in the middle of a field, not close enough to the old roads for a house or yard to have been there, just the middle of the 640 acre block of farm fields. I've just decided my detecting time is better spent other places. At some point maybe I'll be bored and stuck at home for some reason and be pleasantly surprised though.

• Like 1