Theft

jasong

Sorry to hear this Jason.  If this happened a few weeks ago and if they were druggies I am afraid your stuff is probably long gone.  They need their fix so they are not going to be holding on to anything.    I hope you do recover most if not all of you gear.

Yes and no, the biggest items aren't covered. RV (and contents), ATV. Haven't found out if the Conex is covered or not. I did recover the RV,  but it's a total loss, not usable anymore. They dragged it 1/4 mile with no wheels until it buried itself, then broke in and vandalized and took everything. Including a bag of dirty clothes and half a bottle of laundry detergent, so who knows, maybe I'll get something back better than it was. 🙂

Big thanks to the GSSN guys who helped me dig the RV out and get some wheels back on so I could get it out of the road. Lent me some lugnuts off their own trailers too since mine were stolen. Those guys were top notch gentlemen.

My homeowners insurance thankfully says they will cover some tools and prospecting equipment. I tried to get them to cover the RV contents, but no luck. They took virtually everything but left a ton of my expensive geology textbooks so, that was a good surprise. They ripped my 1990's defunct tape deck out of the wall, but left my easily removable $300 cell reapeater. Geniuses!

Thankfully the thieves left my backhoe alone. They hid my key (I found it) and clearly they were intending to take it later, presumably angling to find a buyer who would keep quiet because that would be an easily trackable item around here if they tried to sell it on the open market. I also know the lady who runs the only heavy equipment store.

My stuff is a loss but I don't even care at this point, my focus is entirely on catching these people now. I know where they live now, and I proved it to one of them today. In doing so, I also became pretty certain these people are the same ones involved in the ongoing rash of thefts out here the last decade or so.

• Like 4

You mentioned NW Az, I have a feeling this is around Dolan Springs an Gold Basin/Meadview area.
I look at the local Craigslist frequently, I will keep an eye out and send you a link on your messages here if I see something that may appear an akward sale advertised.
Its a very disheartening situation when someone invades your personal property.
Good luck with rectifying the situation.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hard Prospector said:

Couple years back, a buddy of mine who lives in the desert had his shed broken into and a lot of expensive stuff sacked. Recently  he bought a 40'  steel shipping container for outside storage. Being a engineer and fabricator,  he made a number of "custom  & unique" modifications to it in addition to windows a door, etc. One particular window was somewhat larger and you might say could be  "enticing"  to the wrong kind of sort.

One night he and his wife were awakened to this terrible screaming and banging coming from outside their home. Glock in hand, he walked out to find the noise coming from inside the shipping container. You see this one custom window was built so that once someone broke in, a trip mechanism engaged a heavy tension spring slamming down a steel cover over the window trapping the crook  inside........just like a rat.

Tom never gave the dirt bag any indication what was going on and after calling the sheriff, would occasionally strike the steel siding with a hammer. This loud echoing "BANG" coupled with the pitch blackness  and uncertainty of his fate would cause the crook to wail in fear. Well eventually the deputies arrived and took the guy into custody.  Coming out of the container hand cuffed; he was sweating profusely, crying , shaking and had blood running down his face. Oh, and it was obvious he'd shit his pants.

With the above post in mind, does anybody have any really good ideas on how to best lock/secure conex containers? I know a lot of people use them to store things. Most of the newer units come with the welded-on steel padlock covers. It would be nice to hear how others are locking them in addition to the padlock. I have seen crossbar locks that connects to the vertical locking bars like the link I have attached. Obviously if somebody wants to break in, they will regardless of how you secure the doors. Maybe a new thread on this subject?

https://www.amazon.com/Equipment-Lock-HDCDL-Steel-Heavy/dp/B005CIGVWQ/ref=asc_df_B005CIGVWQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167148598996&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=51138861860413357&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032424&hvtargid=pla-304941837333&psc=1

Sorry to hear Jason, 

If I get back out that way, I will keep an eye out. I know the feeling, had my travel trailer burned down, everything stolen, and my storage in Dolan Springs broke into 2 times. Meth heads getting crazy out there...

Dave

• Like 1

Jason,  As you know I don't sell many traditional prospecting items, but mostly detectors.  If there is something down the road you need to get replaced, I'll try to work a special deal with you.  Thieves are the lowest of low so if you do find them, but sure to keep a level head and not do anything that could put you behind bars.  I know it would be quite easy for me to end their existence, but what does that make me?

If everyone could mention this to their prospecting clubs and buddies, then something should turn up.

Keep us informed and glad you were able to save the books and backhoe.

Gerry

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jasong said:

I know where they live now, and I proved it to one of them today.

Just be careful.  There are much worse things than having your personal property stolen/destroyed.  You're obviously not dealing with anyone with a conscience/morals/respect for others.

• Like 4

I'm going to the GSSN outing on Saturday and Sunday.

Is there anything I can bring you from Los Angeles?