Multi Iq For Everyone.... Vanquish

Tometusns

I think that pretty well says it. It's not an Equinox and never was supposed to be. It's a new minelab entry level machine with the main thing that made the Equinox special....multi IQ. The ability of a machine to see coins others miss. Not necessarily deeper just better vision. 

It Will be very interesting to see it in action when it gets in the public's hands and goes through their test gardens. 

Segments and notching...25 segments on the 540...50 on the Equinox. So a segment will be more than 1 number. On the 540 perhaps it's 2 compared to the Equinox's 1 

Deep? I expect respectable but it may be deep or the depth could varry depending on the model. It's not an Equinox.

For people wanting into a fun hobby without breaking the bank and swing a machine with multi IQ. I think it could be an awesome little machine. But only time will tell!!! HH!! Tom

minelab-vanquish-metal-detector.jpg
Minelab Vanquish metal detector

minelab-vanquish-340-440-540-technical-specifications.jpg
Minelab Vanquish 340 / 440 / 540 Technical Specifications

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The 540 pro pack runs about $500 US.  About the same price as I can pay for a gently used Equinox 600 or about $50 less than a new Equinox 600 acquired with typical dealer or veterans markdowns (which can likely also be applied to the 540 too, so not as strong an arguement there).  Knowing what I know about the two machines, it is not quite a no brainer to go with the used 600 over the new 540, because you DO get two coils and wireless phones with the 540 Pro.  But if I was savvy enough to know what two coils brings to the table (i.e, knowing I would only use the V8 coil under certain limited circumstances) and knowing I can get APTX LL phones for about the same price as a decent hand digger or less, I personally would opt for the ability to adust tone options to 2, 5, or 50 tones rather than being stuck at 5 tones, have the recovery speed adjustments of the Equinox, go with single frequency if the situation warrants, and not worry about the weather or beach waves with the fully watertight housing - i.e., things I could put to use on just about every outing.  Looking at it from that perspective, I am not so sure the 540 is such a great value over all when you consider what features ML left off the 540 vs. the 600.  Adding just a few more simple features tweaks to the 540 (high/low recovery speed, 2 or 3-tone option, 15 khz single frequency setting) while keeping it at the same 540 price point would completely change the value equation for Vanquish in a good way IMO, though it would still be a close call vs. used Equinox 600 but that extra coil might seal the deal, especially if I was looking for a decent backup to the Equinox 800.

PS I felt the same way "Multi IQ for the masses" until I did this 540 analysis and it kind of surprised me.  I think the 440 is the true Multi IQ for the masses machine but things start to get blurry enough in regards to true value when you bring the 540 into the equation and start bouncing it off the Equinox 600.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Received a Kellyco holiday catalog in the mail this week (even though I've never bought anything from them...).  They are advertising the Vanquish models as if they have them in stock.  Presumably they printed the catalog assuming they would be getting detectors in before Christmas.  (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.)

• Like 1

I am of the opinion the Vanquish will be a digital version of the Fisher CZ series.

Multi-IQ at its heart is a two frequency simultaneous multi frequency detector.   Selectable multi frequency on the Equinox, non selectable on the Vanquish.

That is what has my interest.

HH
Mike

9 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

I am of the opinion the Vanquish will be a digital version of the Fisher CZ series.

Multi-IQ at its heart is a two frequency simultaneous multi frequency detector.   Selectable multi frequency on the Equinox, non selectable on the Vanquish.

That is what has my interest.

HH
Mike

3 hours ago, coinhunterseth said:

Why does that make it different from the processing on the Equinox? Won't it just be a version of the Equinox with reduced features?

Agree with Seth, I am not quite sure what you are driving at regarding your "Selectable multi frequency on the Equinox, non selectable on the Vanquish" statement.  They both have a number of search mode profiles that determine an optimal weighted Multi IQ frequency profile and target signal processing for the targets and environment of interest, there are just fewer choices on the Vanquish and they have different mode descriptors.  In either case, you really have no selectable control over the actual transmit frequencies and signal processing used in the Multi IQ profiles as they are fixed in software for each mode (other than auto selection of the noise cancel channel which works the same on both detectors - with the exception that the 800 has manual noise cancel and Equinox had adjustable tones and recovery speeds).  Can you elaborate?  Thx.

• Like 1

Chase,

When in Multi mode, when you chose the program Detect mode and Profile, you have in effect chosen which frequency set will be used.   You control that.  That is select-able multi-frequency operation.  

The Vanquish only has one frequency set.   None of the Detect modes are "weighted", to use Minelab's marketing speak.   Whatever the frequency set consists of is what you have.   The Detect modes differ only in recovery speed, discrimination patterns, and tone breaks. 

HH
Mike