Multi Iq For Everyone.... Vanquish

Tometusns

2 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

Chase,

When in Multi mode, when you chose the program Detect mode and Profile, you have in effect chosen which frequency set will be used.   You control that.  That is select-able multi-frequency operation.  

The Vanquish only has one frequency set.   None of the Detect modes are "weighted", to use Minelab's marketing speak.   Whatever the frequency set consists of is what you have.   The Detect modes differ only in recovery speed, discrimination patterns, and tone breaks. 

HH
Mike

Mike,

After doing a deeper dive into the user guide mode descriptions (kind of a misnomer considering how simplistic the guide actually is), I see exactly where you are coming from.   Thanks for pointing that out.

I can’t tell if ML just dumbed down the mode descriptions for inexperienced users or they are indeed just using a single multi frequency profile for all modes differentiated by disc, tone break, and underlying differences in recovery speed settings, but it certainly looks like the latter.  If this is the case, Vanquish is even less sophisticated than I originally thought.  Using a one-size-fits-all fixed multi frequency profile (say something equivalent to having your Equinox locked in at Park 1 or Beach 1 continuously) can actually be counter productive under certain circumstances and with certain targets could be worse from a depth performance standpoint than simply using a compromise multi-use single frequency such as 12 kHz (one of the reasons I really thought ML should have provided at least one single frequency setting for Vanquish).  

Stepping back, I know I’m over-stating the doom and gloom (after all, how could it be worse than a single frequency machine, in actuality), but I really wonder how stable it will be under extreme salt or mineralization conditions without having to really crank sensitivity down (or without internally making the response muted). [Anyone who has tried the Equinox in anything other than beach 2 mode on wet salt sand with black sand mixed in, knows what I am talking about].  I am sure ML tested the profile that would give good all around performance but does that mean you are boosting performance signifantly above single frequency or significantly below a situation specific ideal multi frequency profile.  Probably doesn’t matter except in forum discussions because it should work for 90% plus detecting situations anyone in the target demo could encounter.

I will also be very interested in actual field performance especially from those experienced folks thinking they are going to get 600-like performance on the cheap for bare bones prospecting or grab n go wet salt surf detecting using those tasty coils.  Might be a tad disappointing.  But I am sure there will be plenty of pleasant surprises and outstanding finds too once the user finds stories and pics start rolling in, just as with any detector.

For the casual detectorist it will easily give hours of enjoyment (but so does the Go Find, quite frankly) and makes multi frequency accessible to all as the thread title states.

Anyhoo, that seals it for me, no thanks. At the 540 Pro price point, I would move on up to the Equinox 600.  But ML wasn’t targeting me anyway so I am sure it will be a smashing success with their target market segment.  

We’ll see how it does going up against the Simplex which is getting a little head start.  I already placed my vote...

• Like 1

After a long think about the machine i have decided the Vanquish is too much like the Nox with most of the guts out of it . I will be getting a Simplex in the new year . My name is on the list at my local dealer but they have around 50 ahead of me . I ain't in a hurry though . But it is my next machine. 

I bet thats what you bought Chase , Yeah ? 

The only other thing i want other than that machine is an 11 inch X35 coil for the ORX . Then thats my lot for the foreseeable future . Till Minelab wets my appetite with a new ET / CTX replacement . 

On 11/20/2019 at 9:41 AM, Mike Hillis said:

I am of the opinion the Vanquish will be a digital version of the Fisher CZ series.

Multi-IQ at its heart is a two frequency simultaneous multi frequency detector.   Selectable multi frequency on the Equinox, non selectable on the Vanquish.

That is what has my interest.

HH
Mike

Plus some single frequency options on Equinox. But basically I like the way you are looking at it Mike. The CZ was one of my favorite all time detectors and why FT has sat on the analog version for so long with no digital version offered will always be a mystery to me. My CZ-5 with 5” coil was awesome and I would have bought a digital CZ in a heartbeat. No real features needed, just put a CZ in the Omega/F19/Gold Bug box. Anyway, just like CZ there is no reason why one basic frequency mix can’t work for everything as a general purpose device, and I agree that is what Vanquish appears to do.

fisher-cz-5-control-panel.jpg
Fisher CZ-5 control panel

minelab-vanquish-440-lcd-display-controls.jpg
Minelab Vanquish 440 control panel

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But basically I like the way you are looking at it Mike.

Now that Mike has opened my eyes with respect to ML’s simplistic functional descriptions, I now get it too.  Digital CZ with the ability to auto ground compensate  in the background (no manual ground balance control) and provide a visual control setting and target ID interface.

And not having Nickels ringing as a High Tone could be worth the price of admission.  I love my CZ-20's but having a High Tone in the Gold Ring conductivity range makes me apoplectic.  Why oh why on a saltwater beach machine prevent the user from cherry picking the Mid Tones????????

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 2:39 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The CZ was one of my favorite all time detectors and why FT has sat on the analog version for so long with no digital version offered will always be a mystery to me.  I would have bought a digital CZ in a heartbeat. No real features needed, just put a CZ in the Omega/F19/Gold Bug box. Anyway, just like CZ there is no reason why one basic frequency mix can’t work for everything as a general purpose device, and I agree that is what Vanquish appears to do.

I discussed building a digital meter for the CZ with Tom Dankowski, and it's doable, actually not difficult at all.  If you've ever seen a Sovereign with a modified digital multimeter used as a TID display, it would be a similar operation.  Nothing fancy, but it would be interesting to see a digital meter vs the preset tone bins.  The CZ-70 was my first deep silver coin shooter, it opened up some spots for me that were beyond the capabilities of the first detectors.  It's a shame Fisher was never able to advance the CZ platform, it was the opportunity ML needed to leapfrog ahead.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, LowTide said:

And not having Nickels ringing as a High Tone could be worth the price of admission.  I love my CZ-20's but having a High Tone in the Gold Ring conductivity range makes me apoplectic.  Why oh why on a saltwater beach machine prevent the user from cherry picking the Mid Tones????????

First Texas must have heard you when they designed the F75 since you get the choice of nickel-zone tone (high or medium).  Letting you choose your own tones as a function of conductivity, something several detectors now allow, is way better, IMO.