Pigs And Grubs

Busho

Hi guys. In the last couple of years I've noticed where I live an increase, visible and noticable, of gold detectorists doing the wrong thing. Leaving all their holes unfilled, rubbish from camps and even their actual crap and crap paper just lying there in plain site. Some even digging on tracks leaving pot holes to drive over. Yeah, there are plenty that do the right thing but the pigs are now increasing. A while ago I went to Castlemaine in Vic, you gotta be kidding me, I must have been greeted by about 100 holes and scrapes unfilled and actual crap and the paper on the walk track! Just saw similar at Avoca with a big dug up, raked area, unfilled holes and the rest. A while ago at Dunolly the same and again at Stuart Mill. Is it any wonder they want to shut people out of the bush here these days. Im getting sick of seeing it. Whats it like in the US?

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Here in the states 98% of detectorists are over 55, have bad knees, and only detect within 100ft of their rig... The other 2% find gold.ย ๐Ÿ˜‹

I try to make it a point to detect in places not frequented by other humans, but when I have gone to flogged areas they usually seem fairly tidy, save for some unfilled holes and big iron left out. Maybe we just don't have the bogan infestation you ozzies do.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tboykin said:

Here in the states 98% of detectorists are over 55, have bad knees, and only detect within 100ft of their rig... The other 2% find gold.ย ๐Ÿ˜‹

I try to make it a point to detect in places not frequented by other humans, but when I have gone to flogged areas they usually seem fairly tidy, save for some unfilled holes and big iron left out. Maybe we just don't have the bogan infestation you ozzies do.

Mmm, might take some spray with me next time I'm out.ย ๐Ÿ˜€

While I expect aussie gold huntersย  has been good for detector sales, its probably been bad for all the things your describing.ย  Most of us come to gold detecting from a love of the outdoors so we keep it nice by nature.ย  If you come to it from love of a tv show and/or greed it's a very different attitude.

• Like 4

In Aust. it is the fortune hunters thinking with no experience that they are going to get rich quick,ย that leave a mess behind including those illegal prospector that have access to earth moving equipment. Most hobby and full time prospectors try to keep things as they were, even if it is to prevent claim jumpers knowing where they are.ย ย 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

In Aust. it is the fortune hunters thinking with no experience that they are going to get rich quick,ย that leave a mess behind including those illegal prospector that have access to earth moving equipment. Most hobby and full time prospectors try to keep things as they were, even if it is to prevent claim jumpers knowing where they are.ย ย 

Hi mate. Yes, those illegal ones, and some have been around a while too, have done some serious damage and a few still do. It saddens me to see it. But you know what. I'm glad those in power have put the brakes on Bush claims. The amount that left them after working was an utter disgrace to say the least here in Vic. Pushing outside their claims, destroying tracks, burying rubbish. I hope they never let anyone ever again here have a claim in the bush, ever.ย 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Busho said:

Hi mate. Yes, those illegal ones, and some have been around a while too, have done some serious damage and a few still do. It saddens me to see it. But you know what. I'm glad those in power have put the brakes on Bush claims. The amount that left them after working was an utter disgrace to say the least here in Vic. Pushing outside their claims, destroying tracks, burying rubbish. I hope they never let anyone ever again here have a claim in the bush, ever.ย 

So what is it now? Just open to anyone detecting or closed to everyone?

12 minutes ago, Lacky said:

So what is it now? Just open to anyone detecting or closed to everyone?

Hi mate. You can detect in areas that are State Forest, some areas that are reserves (you need to find out the ones you can) and certain areas in National Parks. But the push is to close more and more to detecting. And to be honest, even though I have detected for decades, I can understand why they want to, even though it would sadden me to see it happen. What is taking place, more and more, even though many say it's just the few. I will completely get if and when it happens. I am totally sick and tired of kicking in others holes and seeing the rubbish and s#$t. Im done, and leave it now. When it shuts, bad luck. For years I've tried to fix it, I'm done. End of story.ย 

• Like 2

Totally agree with Busho, aboutย the idiots who wreck it for all, then go on to attack and rubbish so called 'greenies', for the negative public reaction to the mess they themselves have left. In Australia we have a certain number of 'prospectors' who believe they have the God given right to do as they please in the bush.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Reg Wilson said:

Totally agree with Busho, aboutย the idiots who wreck it for all, then go on to attack and rubbish so called 'greenies', for the negative public reaction to the mess they themselves have left. In Australia we have a certain number of 'prospectors' who believe they have the God given right to do as they please in the bush.

Your dead right Reg. It dumbfounds me at times. I even know, not here say, of a prominent PMAV member who actually had manufactured and sold hookup (illegal) behind 4wd scraper blades to pull out the scrub. And the hide of them, they all in it know about them, to say they "fight for our Aussie right to prospect" what a joke! ย They're part of the reason the powers hate it!

• Like 2