800 Coil Tabs

Smithobx

I have had my 800 since the end of April. I have to admit I was a little skeptical of all the hype but after using it a lot I the last 3 months or so , I am very impressed. This past Friday I was at a new site and when I picked up the detector to take it out of the truck the coil fell off. Both the mounting tabs were broken. I am pretty particular with my equipment so I really don’t think it was anything I did. I emailed the repair center and has been my experience in the past, they were prompt in their response and had shipping instructions to me that same day. They said the coil would be replaced under warranty but would take a few days because the service center had run out of coils and they were currently on backorder. This leads me to believe their must be a lot of people who have had the same issue. It will be interesting to see if this new batch of coils has beefed up the mounting tabs. They really are kind of flimsy when compared to the Explorer series of coils. I don’t mind the wait, it gives me a chance to get to know my 6 in.  coil. 

• Like 3

What size coil was it?

I will be checking out mine to make sure nothing is wrong with mine.

16 hours ago, Smithobx said:

It was the standard 11 in. coil. 

Thanks I will keep an eye on mine.

Ive broken 3 ears off this type of material now.   Its HARD..... like plastic hard.   Crank those ears much and its going to crack ..... even thou i was told you cant break them with a pair of pliers......  ya right.    Larger coils, more torque, or pounding from rocks ect. something going to give.  I realize they want them to give as the rubber wear..... since we dont change the rubber often...... but thicker ears that wont give might be a better choice to MAKE US change those rubber.

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Ive broken 3 ears off this type of material now.   Its HARD..... like plastic hard.   Crank those ears much and its going to crack ..... even thou i was told you cant break them with a pair of pliers......  ya right.    Larger coils, more torque, or pounding from rocks ect. something going to give.  I realize they want them to give as the rubber wear..... since we dont change the rubber often...... but thicker ears that wont give might be a better choice to MAKE US change those rubber.

Or at the very least (Minelab's favorite way), include some inserts with the coils, it would be so simple…and certainly would be far more expedient than having to replace whole coils.

• Like 1