Another Youtube Nox Test I Would Like To Hear Comments....

Happa54

I'll start out with a disclaimer:  I don't have a Garrett AT Pro and have never used one.  I'm sure it's a good detector as it has a lot of happy users.  (Interpretation:  I'm not a detector disser.)  I do have a Minelab Eqx 800.

Although the AT Pro did better in this test, not only does the setup cover a limited part of phase space (coplanar targets with fixed separation, not in the ground, coils swung directly over the objects), but why did he choose Beach 2 mode and those settings?  There is such a huge choice of settings for the Eqx.  Just showing us one arbitrary set and trying to draw a (negative) conclusion is meaningless.

Maybe the AT Pro is better for this kind of masking situation.  But the video hasn't shown that.  It's shown that for settings A on the AT Pro and settings B on the Eqx that the AT Pro performs better here.

This is the reason I don't even bother watching detector comparison videos.  There are so many minefields, including/especially the bias of the detectorist.

• Like 4

The thing that I saw right off the bat was the fact the coil on the 600 was really dirty, and the test was on beach mode.

Why not just test on factory field 1 mode? I don't have a Garrett unit but I can tell you right now that I have found a 1902 dime in between 2 metal twist caps off beer bottles and the dime was standing on edge.

That video just seems off to me and it seems someone wanted the Garrett to win.

Friends I know have now ordered their own 800 to be able to go with me on hunts because of how well it works.

They already have a White and they told me that mine just blows their mind on the finds that I have dug up.

• Like 1

First, the video maker did not just swing over the silver object by itself so that the viewer would know what it sounded like and what target ID number was ideal. Second, the video maker is not swinging the center of the 11" DD coil completely past both sides of the silver object so very poor coil control (on purpose???). Third, those medium-high tones that he is getting along with the zinc penny and almost clad dime/copper penny numerical target IDs 18 to 23 are coming from the silver object. Depending on the quality of the silver, I would expect those big pieces of iron to drag down the silver numerical IDs and tones into the high teens to low 20s when using the Nox 600.

I just replicated this test with a 3" Civil War Era square nail and a rusted piece of Civil War Era flat iron about 2" from either side of a mercury dime similar to his target layout. I am not dumb enough to put the recovery speed on 1 in this really tough situation no matter what "everyone on the internet recommends " as said by the video maker. I left recovery speed on my Nox 600 in default setting (3) and tested all six modes with sensitivity on 18. The Nox hit the mercury dime every time on every swing. I would probably assume it was three separate targets with a zinc penny being one of them in real world detecting. Also I use a little background threshold which lets me know a discriminated target is being detected. So in the real world I would have engaged the Horseshoe button and checked for iron in the vicinity. I probably would have dug the target anyway since pinpointing it would have given me three obvious separate targets.

Why did he use Beach 2? Presumably he is a beach hunter. However, according to the Nox manual, Beach 2 uses the lowest power setting of all the modes for the transmit signal since it is supposed to be used submerged with conductive salt surrounding the coil not just underneath it. 

I can relate to his statement that he might not dig the target. I wish the Nox would not give medium-low tone and numerical target ID responses in the low to upper single digits (2 to 10) swinging over iron targets. I have learned to deal with it (by using a little threshold tone for iron nulling) but I wish iron would only false in the extreme high 30s as iron wrap around.

Jeff

• Like 3

Thnx for you input GB, Valen and Jeff

I posted this out of haste I guess mainly in defense of the Nox. My fatherly instincts coming out in me.

After I created this post, I took my Nox to the backyard and placed a dime between 2 average size nails and was able to pick up the dime signal in Park 1& 2, rec speed 3 and 0 IB. I then placed the dime between 2 long framing nail sleeves (used in a nail gun) and couldn't pick up the dime signal.  I think this is due to the larger size of the iron objects against the size of the dime. 

The youtube poster used a couple of large iron objects too. If they had been nail size, he most likely would have picked up the signal. Why Beach mode? He states he heard or read others who run with these settings.

Honestly though, I'm not a MD techie but I thought this would be an interesting post for comments. 

2 hours ago, Happa54 said:

I After I created this post, I took my Nox to the backyard and placed a dime between 2 average size nails and was able to pick up the dime signal in Park 1& 2, rec speed 3 and 0 IB. I then placed the dime between 2 long framing nail sleeves (used in a nail gun) and couldn't pick up the dime signal.  I think this is due to the larger size of the iron objects against the size of the dime. 

I looked at the Vid. My thought: By having the sensitivity turned all the way up to 25 AND keeping the coil right on top of the targets, he is overdriving the electronics.

I have never heard of anyone being able to hunt at "25" in ground or water [but there is most likely someone who can]  .

It would of been nice to see results held 6" above those targets, or at 22 sensitivity. 

Dave

• Like 3

Like GB_Amateur and others here, I find detector comparison videos to generally be a waste of time because there is typically an agenda involved and carefully manipulated settings, contrived target setups, missing critical information, and creative editing are commonly used to make the case for whatever point the producer is trying to get across.  Even carefully crafted test garden/comparison videos that attempt to take great pains at being objective, careful, or thorough in their production, such as those by Calabash and others invariably leave more questions than answers so are always subject to debate.  I like videos that teach you about detector features or techniques you didn't know about or actual hunt videos.  You really seldom learn anything of substance from the comparison videos and I have yet to hear of them changing anyone's opinion of a particular detector.

• Like 2