What's A Good Scoop For Fine Stuff?

I have an RTG but the screen openings are way too big for small jewelry. What are some better options for small items like earrings etc.? Was thinking of making one out of pvc so I could dangle it over my coil when wading but would rather not re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

I've seen the Hoover Boys on utube using a swim noodle fixed into a ring with fine mesh zip tied to it and a tether string so it floats close by. They dump the contents of the scoop on it and go through it with a pinpointer. Maybe that would work well for the small jewelry ?

I've seen that. Problem is by the time I get my scoop within reach it's empty. I have to painstakingly try to get the small finds on the tip of the scoop where it is solid. Frustrating when you see a glimmer of something gold disappear.

How big are the holes on your scoop?

PVC is typically not good enough to scoop into into rocky bottoms or heavy wet mud/sand where the fine edge and heavy mass of a metal scoop help do the work for you.

Steve posted this scoop for fine jewelry last year and there are other member suggestions in the thread.  HTH.

RTG basket type so gap between wires is about 7/16". I agree PVC won't handle gravel and rocks very well.

$200 scoop is a bit much. Saw a Sito that has small holes in the middle and back but also pretty pricey.