Disappearing Target

2Valen

I was hunting in my backyard again and had a good sounding tone with a TID of 32 on the display so I started to dig.

I got down to about 4 inches deep and my carrot was sounding a close target as I dug.

Carefully sifting through the soil I noticed what looked like the outline of a dime. All that it was, was just an impression of one.

Once again I searched the hole again with my carrot and the target was no longer there.

I tried the 800 again and found nothing within 3 feet in all directions of the hole, checked to see if anything stuck to the scoop, on my shoes, on my clothes and found nothing.

How can a good sounding target with 2 detectors get lost or disappear like that. 

• Confused 1

Ive sometimes had that happen. Ive also had seemingly same thing happen and i keep searching the soil Idug very slowly and I will suddenly come across a tiny bent nail or tiny piece of foil.

Sometimes a tiny piece of foil will set the detector off when in the ground but not when out of the ground unless my pinpointer actually touches it. Thats all I can say about it. No idea why it would be an impression of a dime though

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 57buick said:

Ive sometimes had that happen. Ive also had seemingly same thing happen and i keep searching the soil Idug very slowly and I will suddenly come across a tiny bent nail or tiny piece of foil.

I have also had that happen, but in this case nothing found. Today I rechecked the same area and had zero hits in that spot.

When I saw the impression of a dime on some dirt I knew that it had to be there, but alas it vanished without a trace.

3 hours ago, fredmason said:

a coin on edge and just out of range can seem to disappear.

When I dug down I also went about 4 extra inches away from the target in case it was off to the side. Once it disappeared I dug down another 3-4 inches deeper and wider still no more signal.

Both detectors just lost the signal as if it was never there. I sat the soil on a piece of cardboard to make it easier to put back in the hole and rechecked it very carefully with the 800 before putting it back in the hole once I gave up.

I have no idea what happened to the target but I could clearly see the imprint of a dime (the back side of it) and that is the most puzzling part of the whole thing. If I had not seen the impression or the second detector getting a hit I would not be concerned.

42 minutes ago, phrunt said:

something I've worked out very recently to find them is using pinpoint mode, that sucker finds them.

Well I did try that also and still came up with nothing. I think I tried everything except a sluice.

Right now the ground is so dry I have quit digging but I am marking hits with wood skewers for when it does rain.

I figured that when it does I can simply pull up the skewers and find out what is down there.

• Like 1

Did you check your clothes (e.g. pants cuffs) and shoes?

• Like 1

In moist soil I've had the target stick to the end of my shovel, saw the image in the dirt(like you described) and then wandered around like a fool for 10 minutes with the pointer trying to find the target. It may have been stuck on your digger, you placed it to the side or behind you, it fell off and now it is outside your hole 18-24". I know this because I have done it.

48 minutes ago, Skate said:

In moist soil I've had the target stick to the end of my shovel, saw the image in the dirt(like you described) and then wandered around like a fool for 10 minutes with the pointer trying to find the target. It may have been stuck on your digger, you placed it to the side or behind you, it fell off and now it is outside your hole 18-24". I know this because I have done it.

Agree, but he did say scanned 3 ft in every direction around the hole for that very reason.  He basically did everything I would have done.  The only other thing I can imagine is the phantom was a heavily corroded ferrous disc and corrosion halo (falsing high) instead of a dime that disintegrated upon recovery.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did you check your clothes (e.g. pants cuffs) and shoes?

Yes I did and I also checked my wife's bra as she likes to hide money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3