Disappearing Target

2Valen

13 hours ago, Skate said:

In moist soil I've had the target stick to the end of my shovel

It just rained today and it was the first time in almost 10 days. The soil was very dry, and I have also had a couple of coins stick to my digger in the past when the soil is moist.

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The only other thing I can imagine is the phantom was a heavily corroded ferrous disc and corrosion halo (falsing high) instead of a dime that disintegrated upon recovery.

Chase that has to be what happened, because I seem to recall seeing odd in the soil. It looked almost like an old piece of ash from a burn pile if you know what I'm talking about. It was in small spot near the imprint that I dug up.

• Like 1

Im guessing its was still down there possibly on edge on the side of the hole..... why because he mentioned he did see the impression of the dime.   In the water i have targets disappear ALL THE TIME with the Nox...... but i know if it wasnt in the scooped sand ...... its going to be in the middle of the hole that next one or two scoops.    As a dirt digger who has to be extra careful with the dirt..... putting that dirt on a rag is important as is having a PPer.

• Like 1

When ever you use the pinpointer on the Equinox the more you swing over the target it can actually null the target out . The target will get smaller and if this happens go out of pinpoint then back into it. 

Also if you have auto track on it can actually null the target because it acts like ground balance when swinging back and forth over a target. 

Doug 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Donut said:

When ever you use the pinpointer on the Equinox the more you swing over the target it can actually null the target out . The target will get smaller and if this happens go out of pinpoint then back into it. 

I have noticed that and try to avoid doing that if I can.