My Oldest Spill Yet

Nice!, Very Nice!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kac said:

4 coins on the right all stacked about 7" down.

2 cent 1867, 2 cent 1864, Indian head 1866 and Flying Eagle 1857. Other IH was on a nearby trail 1906

2 cent pieces look like large moto.

Looks like that lucky charm I glued on my tejon is still working 🙂

Wow, you've really got a garden spot!  The 1866 IH is a near semi-key.  All years starting in 1866 thru 1878 are low mintage and excellent finds.  Hope the condition is up there.

1867 2 cent piece has a doubled-die variety which shows up on the motto ("IN GOD WE TRUST").  https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1867-2c-doubled-die-obverse-bn/3594

It's a longshot, but with the run you're on I won't be surprised....

• Like 3

Not a double die but has excellent detail on all except the flying eagle that is the oldest. I just took a nylon brush to get the mud off with bit of water. Leaving the rest as I may have them appraised as or professionally cleaned.

Bunch of cool places I been hitting all around my area. All are old trails through public woods. Some so riddled with poison ivy most would cringe but it has a nice yellow leaves and red berries this time of year 🙂

I actually just scrub my hands and arms down with some baking soda after and don't usually get it.

Been trying to find a nice LiDAR map reader and data sets so I can see if some the trails I been hitting even show up on them and where they may lead. As it is I go through and carefully look for those thin lost paths where the dirt has been packed down usually old hunting trails that come off of larger main trails. I look at tree sizes where what might have been clearings (smaller trees of similar trunk size). Once I start finding old bullet rounds and old shotgun shells I know I'm in a descent area. Most of the places are pretty free of trash and can almost run in all metal mode. So quiet compared to park hunting! Nice thing about woods hunting is you really don't need a state of the art machine, coins so far been less than 8" deep.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kac said:

Bunch of cool places I been hitting all around my area. All are old trails through public woods. Some so riddled with poison ivy most would cringe but it has a nice yellow leaves and red berries this time of year 🙂

Ha, ha.

12 minutes ago, kac said:

I actually just scrub my hands and arms down with some baking soda after and don't usually get it.

Cold water instead of hot -- keeps the skin pores from opening so less likely to absorb the poison.  At least that's what the old wives say....

BTW, what are the dates+MM's on the two Lincolns?

• Like 1

This last spring they had cut the fields in the area and I went crazy detecting until I found out most those redish roots were poison oak. Eye was all closed up, hands and arms coated LOL

So far baking soda doing a good job here. neutralizes the alkaline in the ivy. They do sell a soap for that I believe, never used it though.

The memorials were 74 and a 91 i think, chucked them in my change jar.

• Like 1

Nice finds that you hit on and I will have to think about some of the old trails around here.

• Like 1