Ahh Bugger!!! Tinypic Have Shut Down - -

jrbeatty

On 9/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

All you need is JRs login info Simon; he can change the password when you are done. I have high storage limits on my account (currently using 16 out of 60 gigs) and this site will never disappear unless I die, and even then there would be lots of warning as the account stays prepaid in advance by a substantial amount.

Will this site pay for itself and provide some income to whomever is the administrator?  The site would always be open then for its content.  We would all hate to lose some of our own research and comments.

I've had a couple of computers and phones crash and lost that data on my current devices but it is in some form of chip, backup or hard drive for most of it.  Some of it I have to upload to something other than Google photos, etc.

The site runs a small profit and the site itself has value due to the traffic level so my wife would either arrange for somebody to administer it or sell the website to somebody like Gerry that might have an interest. But as you note the site should not be relied on 100% nor should any one storage method.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Will this site pay for itself and provide some income to whomever is the administrator?  The site would always be open then for its content.  We would all hate to lose some of our own research and comments.

17 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The site runs a small profit and the site itself has value due to the traffic level so my wife would either arrange for somebody to administer it or sell the website to somebody like Gerry that might have an interest.

Mitchel, I realize you weren't wishing any ill will upon Steve, far from it.  But as much as I appreciate the voluminous valuable info on this site, I think the loss of Steve would dwarf the loss of the site.  I guess it's like life insurance:  bet you die and hope you lose the bet.  But if Steve disappeared from here in whatever manner, the loss would be so impactful that it would be difficult to continue.  We can do fine when he's on month-long trip to England, Alaska, etc.  But permanently?  I don't want to think about it.

• Like 3

GB,

I'm speaking of the business model.  Key individuals and personalities can never be replaced but it is certainly comforting to be able to access the content no matter the situation with the writer.  We can all envision an absentee owner business.  I'm grateful for all the work Steve has put into this site.  Many of us will reach the point of being virtual prospectors one day.

Steve has created a site and preserved its history in such a way that it is not a drain on his resources.  We should all be so focused in not wasting more time and money than is necessary.  Content is king in the internet site business.  It provides SEO ranking and a value proposition to any potential advertiser.  Without value to the site and only a labor of love so to speak, it would make all of our comments, quibbles, finds and hopes come to a sudden end.

We know that Google tracks us in everything we do online.  I spend a fair amount of time here when I have the computer on.  I hope it does help to pay for the site.  Click through on some of the ads.  The website gets a referral fee that offsets costs and it can promote our interests.  Some of the other clubs and sites that I am on in this metal detecting business charge a fee so they stay online.

There have been many sites where the administrator/owner has been unwilling to make the upgrades necessary because it was costing them money and time they didn't have.   They shut down.  That is the loss of good information and valuable content.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Well my father is 88 and going strong and my mom 80 and the same. Barring misfortune at 61 I should have a few years left in me. Impermanence is the nature of things however, so tell the ones who matter that you love them today and give thanks for another morning on this planet. :smile:

Got the drive space... just copy the whole website! https://www.httrack.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Had a free half day to work on the album, got to the end of page 8.

Phew! Hell of a lot of fiddling about, but this website is absolutely brilliant for editing.

Simon: The file names you supplied don't match the original images I have (perhaps they were Tinypic names)  Now  I can't always remember precisely which were the original images used, and there are hundreds and hundreds of them on Jannines memory stick, often multi images of the same piece of gold. Some are self evident, others may now be different but I have tried to be as faithful to the originals as possible.

Let me know here if anyone has comments, advice, etc, best not clutter the album pages.

Thanks everybody.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Got the drive space... just copy the whole website!

Can you give us an estimate on how much disk space the current site will require?  That also allows us to estimate the download time.

I think Steve said he was using 16 GB on a 60 GB account.  You probably don't need everything but I don't know how you pick and choose.

• Like 1

Httrack creates a browser compatible mirror of a website on your local computer. Does not matter Mac or PC. The program has all sorts of settings for how many levels deep, file types, etc. but I have generally just copied whole websites. This is the program I used recently to copy the entire Tesoro website to my computer just in case their website went away.

and yes, 16 gig more or less.

• Like 1