Equinox 800 And Ctx 3030

Hello friends! 

Iam very close to leave to Tanzania now. Up until now kam training with a cheap detector Form China. 

I left the plan to buy a gpx cause i can hardly use it in Europe so now iam so i want to buy now:

An Equinox 800 or a ctx 3030.

So what i know is that the equinox came out a few years after the ctx and that it has a special mode for prospecting Gold. 

Does anyone has an expirience with both detectors and can tell me whats fits better for high Mineral ground and prospecting gold? Or whats would you prefer?

Honestly i want to stick with minelab cause i heard a lot oft good things. 

THX greetings 

Erik

1 hour ago, Erik_in_Mission said:

Hello friends! 

Iam very close to leave to Tanzania now. Up until now kam training with a cheap detector Form China. 

I left the plan to buy a gpx cause i can hardly use it in Europe so now iam so i want to buy now:

An Equinox 800 or a ctx 3030.

So what i know is that the equinox came out a few years after the ctx and that it has a special mode for prospecting Gold. 

Does anyone has an expirience with both detectors and can tell me whats fits better for high Mineral ground and prospecting gold? Or whats would you prefer?

Honestly i want to stick with minelab cause i heard a lot oft good things. 

THX greetings 

Erik

If you plan on prospecting for gold, you might as well forget the CTX, it'll be useless. Honestly, if I were prospecting for gold and that was my main focus, I would get a pulse induction machine. If you don't want to spend that kind of money then I would definitely get the Equinox.

• Like 1

Equinox 800. Depending on the size of the gold, you may need the 6" coil too, probably. It is very sensitive and will separate well in dense hot rocks. 

If you have the money, the XP Orx would make a great detecting duo paired with the Equinox.

Jeff

Hi Erik.  

You mention that where you are going in Tanzania there is mineralised ground, but is there trash?  

A VLF (Equinox, CTX, Gold Monster, etc) is only going to be a real benefit if there is trash and you are wanting to minimise the amount of holes you dig. 

IF, there is minimal trash, high mineralised ground, you have the money to spend on a CTX - I would buy an SDC 2300 (it's a PI machine).  Small, compact, rugged, waterproof, rarely has issues with mineralised ground, extremely easy to use, picks up fine and wiry gold and likely a good resale value if you want to sell it at the end of your adventure.  

If the ground is really mineralised then any VLF will struggle to a fair degree.  

Best of luck with your adventure whatever unit you choose to buy  👍

I have been gold detecting with the CTX when visiting my Sister in Oz . Not successful😀 

I have the Equinox 800 now (which is not a VLF machine but Simultaneous Multi-Frequency)

Did not try it on Gold detecting when I went over to Oz last year as no one was going out but definitely like it better over the CTX which I used for over 4 years.

1 hour ago, Nig the Dig said:

I have the Equinox 800 now (which is not a VLF machine but Simultaneous Multi-Frequency)

Well, technically, it still is a VLF machine because the multi frequencies it uses are in the VLF elecromagnetic spectrum.  VLF is not just limited to single frequency or non-simultaneous multi-frequency machines, but refers to a what are more accurately called induction balance machines (as differentiated from Pulse Induction machines).

• Like 2

Thx for your answers. The thing is that i just go there for two weeks so i didnt want to spend to much money for a gpx 5000 cause this would be my first choise and i cant use that machine in europe at all. So i decided to buy a Equinox 800. If iam a bit sucessfull with that machine i can come back with a pulse induction detector. If i find absolut nothing i dont think i would find something with a gpx either. Anyway thanks for your Post! I will let you know how it will go! Greetings

• Like 3