New Update Has Arrived

Dan(NM)

https://www.minelab.com/usa/equinox-software-update-2-0

Minelab Software Upgrade Instructions pdf

EQUINOX SOFTWARE UPDATE 2.0

At Minelab, we get your passion. And like you, we never leave any stone unturned. It’s that same grit and determination that drives us to make every product and every innovation just that much better.

WHAT IS NEW?

Difficult ferrous targets — the common enemy for all detectorists. That is until EQUINOX. Hit the download on our EQUINOX update to make those pesky bottle caps, rusty nails and other falsing targets a thing of the past. Fire up the Minelab Update Utility and you’re on your way. It’s simple. You’ll experience the enhanced Iron Bias feature, improved EQUINOX 600 backlight and much more.

Improved Iron Bias

Iron Bias has been enhanced with the addition of a new Iron Bias settings profile. The original EQUINOX Iron Bias 'FE' settings will still be available, but there is now the option to switch to the new Iron Bias 'F2' settings, which have an improved capability to reject a much wider range of difficult iron targets, including bottle caps.

EQUINOX 600 Backlight Brightness

The EQUINOX 600 now has the ability to adjust the backlight brightness to an additional 'Low' setting that matches the minimum setting on the EQUINOX 800. This 'Low' brightness is ideal for detecting at night and in low light conditions.

MINELAB UPDATE UTILITY (MUU) DETAILS

Minimum System Requirements:

USB 2.0 port
EQUINOX USB Charging Cable with Magnetic Connector

Windows 10:

50 MB of hard drive space
20 MB of RAM

MAC OS:

Greater than 10.13 High Sierra
50 MB of hard drive space
30 MB of RAM

Note:

• Only one EQUINOX can be connected to your computer during the update operation.
  • The EQUINOX must be ON during the software update.
  • Any custom detector settings will be preserved while performing the update.
  • An internet connection is required to download the Minelab Update Utility to the computer, however, an internet connection is not required to update the EQUINOX and this can be done offline.
  • The EQUINOX coil must be connected to perform the update.

Important: Do not turn off or disconnect the EQUINOX during the update process.

Version displayed after the update is 2.1.12

How To Rollback Equinox To Previous Software Version

Click on image below for larger version...

9FC11310-F876-48C7-91FE-079AF7FC1E06.jpeg

I figured out how to access the new FE feature. Go to the iron bias setting, push accept/reject button(far right)  Once there you can adjust the settings from 0-9 , what that does I cannot tell you 🙂 

I just downloaded and will go to my beach low tide.

I went out after the update.  It is not a very good beach for us right now as there are no patches to find.  There are just a few random items out on the negative tide.  I left the wet sand and went to the volleyball courts.  Before I got there I went around a cafe area and got most of the quarters there.  As you can see I still got lots of bottle caps in the upgraded version.  I didn't use the bottle cap rejection feature.  (I didn't know how to turn it on.)  My observation is that the targets were a bit cleaner.  Even some of the bottle caps didn't crackle.  I adjusted the FE but didn't hit the accept/reject to try the next level.  At least I know if it is not on the upgrade didn't change the detector.

IMG_20190925_022752.thumb.jpg.9dd7333cfcf01b8efed31971ad3664d7.jpg

The detector didn't help me find this:

IMG_20190925_022129.thumb.jpg.8471b79b7eb493385e458cb0990bb2d2.jpg

There were several other offerings of fruit on the beach tonight also.  I left them there.  I picked this up because the cleaning truck will plow over this in a few hours.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Are you saying you felt the good targets were a bit cleaner after the update just on normal everyday settings? I ask because they mentioned that F2 feature being added, the backlight correction on the 600 and MUCH MORE.... I want to know what the much more is.

I would like to know as well.  Hit an old summer camp yesterday and had quite a bit of iron falsing to high numbers with IB at 0. The negative numbers clue you in but it slows down the hunt.    If the rain stops will check it out in normal FE with IB 0 thru 3 and and compare against the new F modes.  Mostly interested in how it effect see thru (possible loss of targets) using the new F mode settings. 

I set the settings a little different than before.  I turned the threshold way down and the target volume way up.  My beach tonight didn't have as much black sand as normal but I do think I set it up so the targets didn't have to be as interrogated as much as I normally do.  There were a couple of targets together in a hole and I didn't hear them both distinctly but I did hear them as odd.

I wish I would have tried the cap reject feature.

I used Beach 1 on the wet sand and I thought it was good.  When I went to the dry sand I switched to Park 1 which I don't normally use.  Most of these bottle caps came it at 16 if new but the rusty ones would go as low as 10.

I noticed last night that my pennies had jumped up recently to many of them being in the 25-26 range.  That happened a couple of times tonight but the few pennies were mostly around 20. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Are you saying you felt the good targets were a bit cleaner after the update just on normal everyday settings? I ask because they mentioned that F2 feature being added, the backlight correction on the 600 and MUCH MORE.... I want to know what the much more is.

Agree - more interested in the "and much more".  Was that twist top you tested, Simon, corroded in any manner?  Pristine "crown cap" steel or mixed steel caps are going to be hard no matter what. 

Frankly, if the emphasis of this update is an additional ferrous filter, that is frankly one of the last things I am needing or wanting, especially when it comes to semi-corroded bottlecaps which I can pretty much pick out with very high accuracy due to the ferrous grunt off the coil edge with Fe Bias at 0 and the typical accompanying highly unstable TID.   I really am not all that interested in another filter that just sets me up for the possibility of more inadvertent masking of non-ferrous targets near ferrous targets.  I have found that all Fe bias does is negate the positive effects of having high recovery speed settings for target separation in thick iron situations and typically run it at 0.

Nevertheless, I am interested to see how this does in thick iron situations and to glean whether there are actual useful "and much more" enhancements.  

The back light fix for the 600 is a good thing for 600 users.

• Like 2