New Update Has Arrived

Dan(NM)

On 9/26/2019 at 12:54 PM, Yellowstone said:

Tried the new program out on a midnight foray at the beach at low tide.  Settings - Nox 800, Beach 2,  FE2 - 4, Recovery - 4, Sensitivity - 18.  Still dug a lot of small wire, lobster trap pieces and coins.  Wasn't sure if I liked new settings or not until walking out and hit scratchy -4 signal, 8 inches down signal turned to 6 and found this.  

Will give it another shot.

FE2.jpg

Very nice!

So does gold give a ferrous signal down deep?  I hunt on the beach 99% of the time.  The beach was dredged last year and there's a lot of iron.  Am I to dig every ferrous signal?  

On 9/25/2019 at 1:33 PM, Happa54 said:

For 600 users....

My interpretation from reading the updated manual is IB on FE is still the equivalency scale 600/800;  1/2, 2/4, 3/6

FE2 is independent and is 1/3, 2/6, 3/9

Big added difference here. 

Actually, the 600 vs. 800 iron bias correspondence table in the updated manual does not differentiate between FE and F2 iron bias settings for the 600 and has definitely changed from the previous "non-F2" version that was 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 to now 1/3, 2/6, 3/9 for BOTH FE and F2.  Yet that is inconsistent with the line in the manual that comes right before the table that states, "EQUINOX 600/800 Iron Bias Setting Equivalents
The following shows the equivalent Iron Bias settings between the 
two models. EQUINOX 600 offers fewer adjustment increments and 
a lower maximum Iron Bias than the 800 model.EQUINOX 600/800 Iron Bias Setting Equivalents"

So either ML's updated "Equivalents" section is in error or ML actually changed the 600 firmware so the maximum 600 setting of 3 now corresponds to 9 vice 6 on the 800.  My money is on a typo in the new table, but as a minimum the wording is inconsustent with the table in the updated manual, so something needs to be fixed to remove the ambiguity for 600 users.  Hmmm.

Screen shots from each version of the manual are inserted below:

Old Manual Upper/Updated Manual lower:

SmartSelect_20190928-014457_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

SmartSelect_20190928-014118_Drive.jpg

• Like 2

The sense I get with this upgrade is that you could draw two "bias curves".  The F--is lower and flatter--not quite beginning to break up the range of caps--but there are fewer consequences.  It also attempts to bring them into the center of the ID scale for a more defined ID.  F2  is a steeper curve that does get the entire range of caps but carries with it your typical high bias tradeoff--sluggishness around iron and alloys as all this filtering takes place in software.  At the higher levels Recovery Speed does not seem to do nearly as much.  While its pretty good at higher levels on "clean" metals such as high kt gold, just as with any "power curve" there is still a loss of overall effectiveness at the higher ranges--where the audio becomes a bit corrupted--the bias takes up a lot of the machine's "work" capacity.  Where you are trying to tame diverse fq's to begin with--adding the muting of a scattered type of target (caps) has got to involve "dialing back" the machine's ability to detect all targets.   I think the way to get the most from this upgrade is  to run a low setting but then--practice speeding up the sweep to knock out a higher range of caps and iron.  It's great to have this additional tool to run extreme high bias but there are for sure some tradeoffs to be managed. 

cjc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Actually, the 600 vs. 800 iron bias correspondence table in the updated manual does not differentiate between FE and F2 iron bias settings for the 600 and has definitely changed from the previous "non-F2" version that was 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 to now 1/3, 2/6, 3/9 for BOTH FE and F2.  Yet that is inconsistent with the line in the manual that comes right before the table that states, "EQUINOX 600/800 Iron Bias Setting Equivalents
The following shows the equivalent Iron Bias settings between the 
two models. EQUINOX 600 offers fewer adjustment increments and 
a lower maximum Iron Bias than the 800 model.EQUINOX 600/800 Iron Bias Setting Equivalents"

So either ML's updated "Equivalents" section is in error or ML actually changed the 600 firmware so the maximum 600 setting of 3 now corresponds to 9 vice 6 on the 800.  My money is on a typo in the new table, but as a minimum the wording is inconsustent with the table in the updated manual, so something needs to be fixed to remove the ambiguity for 600 users.  Hmmm.

Screen shots from each version of the manual are inserted below:

Old Manual Upper/Updated Manual lower:

SmartSelect_20190928-014457_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

SmartSelect_20190928-014118_Drive.jpg

I was wondering the same when I read the mew manual.   I have the 600 and after plenty of time hunting and testing just leave it at 0 but it would be nice to have clarification from ML on this new range/equivalency chart. 

FYI for Mac owners:

I was able to update to v. 2.0 on my wife's Mac running macOS Sierra version 10.12.6 although the ML site says it requires OS 10.13 or later.

I tried using my son's new Mac Air running 10.14.6 but the new connections would not accept the equinox standard usb cable. So I emailed the ML updater link to the older Mac and ... it frickin' worked! 

Desperate deeds sometimes require drastic measures. I've been without a computer since my PC black-screened months ago. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cjc said:

The sense I get with this upgrade is that you could draw two "bias curves".  The F--is lower and flatter--not quite beginning to break up the range of caps--but there are fewer consequences.  It also attempts to bring them into the center of the ID scale for a more defined ID.  F2  is a steeper curve that does get the entire range of caps but carries with it your typical high bias tradeoff--sluggishness around iron and alloys as all this filtering takes place in software.  At the higher levels Recovery Speed does not seem to do nearly as much.  While its pretty good at higher levels on "clean" metals such as high kt gold, just as with any "power curve" there is still a loss of overall effectiveness at the higher ranges--where the audio becomes a bit corrupted--the bias takes up a lot of the machine's "work" capacity.  Where you are trying to tame diverse fq's to begin with--adding the muting of a scattered type of target (caps) has got to involve "dialing back" the machine's ability to detect all targets.   I think the way to get the most from this upgrade is  to run a low setting but then--practice speeding up the sweep to knock out a higher range of caps and iron.  It's great to have this additional tool to run extreme high bias but there are for sure some tradeoffs to be managed. 

cjc

My ears have learned a lot since my first usage of the 800.  I can still remembered how I didn't understand it so much I thought I was going to hate it.

I mostly All Metal my beaches around 23 on sensitivity.  Then I make sure it is balanced, the targets are loud and then I'll adjust recovery speed as necessary.  The bias has not been much of a concern as I tend to dig it all and lately the negative iffys can be a good 'odd' target or deep one.  If I don't here it then I can't decided to dig or not to dig in combination with the screen info.

Yesterday I had a long beach session and tried the FE and FE2 at 4.  I don't know what I didn't hear but I dug 100 targets (4 junk rings including a stainless steel that had surface numbers of 1, 12, 14, 20 and 2 of them were negative before I dug them) and learned a bit of the new sound.  More will be revealed.

• Like 2

I know people would rather hear/read answers but I don't have any of the latter, yet.  However, I do have a question/concern.

Many, including I, have noticed that quite often hot rocks will hit in the nickel zone (TID's around 12).  That's in Gold mode, at least.  I'm wondering if this new Fe2 filter might help with that, either directly in the Gold modes, or indirectly in other modes such as Field 2.

• Like 1

Simon,

Get out to the goldfields with this new update and find a nugget!

Mitchel

I have to learn what I have now before I start updating. I am still learning the 800 and want to know it before I mess it up with a update.