New Update Has Arrived

Dan(NM)

Hi all.

I have a nox600. I love the new backlight update. The stock backlight was almost unusable, and way too bright. I actually almost sold the detector because the backlight was so bright, i never understood why it was so bright, and i'm glad they decided to correct the situation.

Anyways I'm not that smart, but i'm trying to make sense of all this F2 stuff surrounding the new update. It's hard to get simple information for the 600 and I don't want to continue to further confuse myself, so i'm just going to ask and perhaps this can also help others:

The 600 with the 2.0+ update has the option to turn on F2. Default is 0 and 1-2-3 can also be selected.

What is the difference between 0-1-2-3? Which one should i be running and or experimenting with?

The man in me says crank it up to 3, but the old man in me says start it off at 0 and take it from there. Obviously if this new update is going to reduce how many bottle caps I dig, I would love to be able to take advantage of that seeing as how I am in Hawaii and do mostly beach/snorkel detecting. Thank you in advance for clarifying this for us 600 users. I really dig this site, and although I haven't posted before - I have spent countless hours on here.

HH

Flowdog I had pretty much the same experience hunting the nails where an old church burnt down.  Many many times I would get falsing that in my experience constituted a high probability of a non-ferrous in the iron only to be the iron tricking me.  These were not the grasping for straws that we sometimes go for, some of them I thought should have been non-ferrous.

But then, F2 0 did it's thing when I got a nice smooth fainter yet quick high tone that stopped me dead.  I spent a lot of time interrogating this one.  luckily I had initially hit it just right as it was only discernible from a narrow sweep angle.  With a tight well centered sweep It gave a repeatable TID of 17.  After removing the plug the signal disappeared and cleaning the loose soil from the bottom of the hole gave the same result.  I loosened the soil in the bottom to a depth of around 8" and started running handfuls over the coil.  Eventually I had it in my hand, It was not the IH or junk target I had surmised but a 1916 wheat penny normal TID 22-24.

Tom

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Oiwon said:

Hi all.

I have a nox600. I love the new backlight update. The stock backlight was almost unusable, and way too bright. I actually almost sold the detector because the backlight was so bright, i never understood why it was so bright, and i'm glad they decided to correct the situation.

Anyways I'm not that smart, but i'm trying to make sense of all this FE stuff surrounding the new update. It's hard to get simple information for the 600 and I don't want to continue to further confuse myself, so i'm just going to ask and perhaps this can also help others:

The 600 with the 2.0+ update has the option to turn on FE. Default is 0 and 1-2-3 can also be selected.

What is the difference between 0-1-2-3? Which one should i be running and or experimenting with?

The man in me says crank it up to 3, but the old man in me says start it off at 0 and take it from there. Obviously if this new update is going to reduce how many bottle caps I dig, I would love to be able to take advantage of that seeing as how I am in Hawaii and do mostly beach/snorkel detecting. Thank you in advance for clarifying this for us 600 users. I really dig this site, and although I haven't posted before - I have spent countless hours on here.

HH

In the simplest terms it is a tradeoff.  F2 appears to behave differently than the existing FE iron bias filter and may be stronger at the highest setting (3 for the 600) than the FE filter.  For both, the higher setting you use may reduce falsing off round, mixed ferrous like crown caps and other ferrous targets but you may also mask nearby non-ferrous targets by doing so.  Test it out on sample bottlecaps and then with a coin next to or on top of tge cap to see which setting best cancels the bottlecap yet still allows you to hear the coin.  Note that the best way to tell if a high tone is a ferrous false signal is to go to all metal using the horseshoe butyon and listen for a strong iron grunt along with the high tone.

• Like 2

So I was able to find a fair amount of information on the correlation between FE and F2 for the EQX 800 in this thread and the dankowskidetectors.com thread that was linked but there wasn't as much for us EQX 600 owners. At least not as easy to find. However, between what I was able to find here, and the limited information provided in the latest instruction manual, I think I've finally figured it out, at least for the low to mid iron bias ranges. Here it is in table format:

image.png.e680d088430ee11a78378d8e7c3f30b9.png

The high end numbers in red are pure conjecture of what the FE equivalents would be based on extrapolating a linear trendline from the medium iron bias range. Not particularly useful numbers but I thought it was interesting for perspective.

Let me know if I missed anything.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Flowdog I had pretty much the same experience hunting the nails where an old church burnt down.  Many many times I would get falsing that in my experience constituted a high probability of a non-ferrous in the iron only to be the iron tricking me.  These were not the grasping for straws that we sometimes go for, some of them I thought should have been non-ferrous.

But then, F2 0 did it's thing when I got a nice smooth fainter yet quick high tone that stopped me dead.  I spent a lot of time interrogating this one.  luckily I had initially hit it just right as it was only discernible from a narrow sweep angle.  With a tight well centered sweep It gave a repeatable TID of 17.  After removing the plug the signal disappeared and cleaning the loose soil from the bottom of the hole gave the same result.  I loosened the soil in the bottom to a depth of around 8" and started running handfuls over the coil.  Eventually I had it in my hand, It was not the IH or junk target I had surmised but a 1916 wheat penny normal TID 22-24.

Tom

Tom, good job sticking it out with that wheat cent! And thanks for describing your outing using F2. The wheat TID 17 is unsettling. It will make mandatory a return trip to the old site in my post. I recall getting TID 17 three or four times that resolved pure and steady. I passed. In the falsing cacophony of F2 on low I covered an old harmonica reed @ TID22 that was rock solid. Same TID with an old set of keys, but not from every angle. The purest tone that day was on a very old crimped bottle cap. I think it may be made of brass? Non-ferrous, heavy, and clean. Possibly copper. The point being, the lower range in F2 seems, at least to my hearing, to produce moving/falsing audio for every iron, alloyed, corroded and/or irregular shaped target. However, all that activity came to an abrupt, steady and very welcome tone on a both circular and irregular shaped non-ferrous targets amongst heavy junk. Simply the lower scale of F2 doing its job: Unmasking to the greatest extent possible.

I believe ML turned loose Tom D on the F2 project to advance the cause of tackling the unmasking physics we all suffer from. Steve H has more than once pointed to Tom's article, "The Painful Truth", showcasing Tom's current F2 passion to make masking a bit less onerous.

Meanwhile, back in the dirt, I will be digging those 17's that I walked over. Maybe wheaties or may be Indian Heads! Either way, thanks Tom for the heads up on the weird TID.

Curtis

It was fortunate that I had lowered the range of my high tone coin program from 18 down to 17 to hunt this particular site..  This was a couple days before the upgrade went on line.  

Yesterday I hunted a different site that has some rotting tin like can lids and pieces.  I dug several of these and found that the smaller pieces will actually go to the iron tone by simply moving F2 0 up to F2 2.  That was a eureka moment for me.  I also dropped recovery down from 3 to 2 and the hunt in that area was a giant step in intelligibility for me compared with F2 0 with recovery 3 and part of that was due to the reduced fatigue factor.  Cleaner more coherent sounds akin to crappy loud speakers vs Hi-Fi.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jackpine said:

It was fortunate that I had lowered the range of my high tone coin program from 18 down to 17 to hunt this particular site.

If bronze cents are coming in that low, where are Zincolns?

3 hours ago, Jackpine said:

t was fortunate that I had lowered the range of my high tone coin program from 18 down to 17 to hunt this particular site..  This was a couple days before the upgrade went on line.  

If you don't mind answering a couple questions about your coin program, are you using any disc, or do you run with horseshoe engaged? How many tones also. 

4 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Yesterday I hunted a different site that has some rotting tin like can lids and pieces.  I dug several of these and found that the smaller pieces will actually go to the iron tone by simply moving F2 0 up to F2 2.  That was a eureka moment for me.  I also dropped recovery down from 3 to 2 and the hunt in that area was a giant step in intelligibility for me compared with F2 0 with recovery 3 and part of that was due to the reduced fatigue factor.  Cleaner more coherent sounds akin to crappy loud speakers vs Hi-Fi.

I was experimenting varying RS between 3 & 2 and IB from 4 down to 0. After the county sheriff arrived my concentration was shaken, even though he decided I was on my permission. I had no concentration remaining whatsoever when after the sheriff left, I had a concerned citizen honking his car horn at me. After explaining myself yet again, I was too frazzled to resume my experiment with F2. But my aborted experience with recovery 2 and low F2 coupled with your experiences, gives some clue where I'll start when my state of mind is right to go back to that particular permission or my next hunt in a different spot.

8 hours ago, Flowdog said:

If you don't mind answering a couple questions about your coin program, are you using any disc, or do you run with horseshoe engaged? How many tones also. 

I run all metal all the time.  I believe I said 3 tone but its actually 4.  Foil 1 thru 11 low tone, nickel 12 and 13 high tone.  14-16 a mid tone, 17 and up high tone.  Vol 6 on the iron

I was experimenting varying RS between 3 & 2 and IB from 4 down to 0. After the county sheriff arrived my concentration was shaken, even though he decided I was on my permission. I had no concentration remaining whatsoever when after the sheriff left, I had a concerned citizen honking his car horn at me. After explaining myself yet again, I was too frazzled to resume my experiment with F2. But my aborted experience with recovery 2 and low F2 coupled with your experiences, gives some clue where I'll start when my state of mind is right to go back to that particular permission or my next hunt in a different spot.

I'll probably change up the Bias and speed site dependent but 2 and 2 was working well for me yesterday.

Tom

• Thanks 1