New Update Has Arrived

Dan(NM)

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

If bronze cents are coming in that low, where are Zincolns?

and IH's that normally hit 19-20?  add in the bouncers with negative numbers that are non-ferrous targets in hiding.  It's a jungle out there!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 1:49 PM, Flowdog said:

running F2@9 sounded like I had cotton in my earphones. 

Well said but it's doing a remarkable job up at the high settings--killing even alloyed slag.  Looking at Steves chart didn't realize that it was an expanded range on both ends = better drawing of targets out of iron???  My intital "cap beater" F26+ range tests (In 2 tone to liven it up--take the cotton...) were impressive and seemed to offer a good solution for those brutal slag and cap infested beaches.  Much as I like to complain I open my mouth and nothing comes out...!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, cjc said:

Well said but it's doing a remarkable job up at the high settings--killing even alloyed slag.  Looking at Steves chart didn't realize that it was an expanded range on both ends = better drawing of targets out of iron???  My intital "cap beater" F26+ range tests (In 2 tone to liven it up--take the cotton...) were impressive and seemed to offer a good solution for those brutal slag and cap infested beaches.  Much as I like to complain I open my mouth and nothing comes out...!!!

I still like to complain, in general, but certainly not about this F2 implementation.  Still working it out, but I am liking F2 5 as a sweet spot over my tried and true FE 0.  Will give it a workout in some mineralized, iron infested relic sites in about three weeks and will learn a lot more about it.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

I believe the key to success with the new F2 mode is mitigating audio fatigue.  The other day I was hunting an old beat to death site with good success using F2 2 and recovery speed 4.  Anything lower than 4 was overload for my ears and what I mean by that is the slightly longer drawn out iron responses creating a cacophony of noise.  I was hunting at my normal sweep speed as well.

Note: watch out for old nickels hitting just below the normal nickel 12-13 bounce.  Got a 1905 V that was mostly a solid 12 but bouncing to 11 as well with a bit of iron in the plug directly above the nickel.  Reminded me of the Fisher CZ 5 where you dig all nickel foil bouncers in old sites and parks.  I have had good success on old nickels using park 1.  Tom D had stated Park 1 is good for nickels and he's correct on that IMO.

• Like 4