Firmware Update In Bed Of Nails

Jackpine

Went to the summer camp and detected where an early building burned to the ground, a bed of nails and a layer of blackened earth.  After comparing the "old" iron bias setting of 0 against the new F2 mode set at 4 I can honestly say there is absolutely no difference in audio or TID intelligibility.  None Nada zip.  Same ole falsing and jumpy TID.

Can't yet say on iron rings or bottle caps but it appears the nail handling is not improved one iota.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jackpine said:

Went to the summer camp and detected where an early building burned to the ground, a bed of nails and a layer of blackened earth.  After comparing the "old" iron bias setting of 0 against the new F2 mode set at 4 I can honestly say there is absolutely no difference in audio or TID intelligibility.  None Nada zip.  Same ole falsing and jumpy TID.

Can't yet say on iron rings or bottle caps but it appears the nail handling is not improved one iota.

Tom

Why the lower IB settings?  Did you try the default F2 setting of 6?  Were you in All Metal mode?  Why not compare FE 6 to F2 6 settings?

On 9/25/2019 at 10:59 AM, TedinVT said:

Why the lower IB settings?  Did you try the default F2 setting of 6?  Were you in All Metal mode?  Why not compare FE 6 to F2 6 settings?

I hunt with FE at 0 nothing else so why compare settings I don't use?  F2 4 was stated by Tom D to be the end all and for a lot of situations I'm sure he's right as he knows a lot more about detectors than myself. If the new F2 settings helped in beds of nails that would have been great, but they don't.  F2 apparently helps on round iron and bottle caps I'm sure a lot of people will like that.

• Like 2

Tom D is saying f2 at 4 is equivalent to fe at 0. So yes you were essentially running the same. Something else may be happening that i dont know about and he hasn't said though. But he said every number under 4 is the same as taking normal fe negative by a quarter. So that f2 0 is the same as if you could run fe at negative 1

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 5:03 PM, Pedlar mills said:

Tom D is saying f2 at 4 is equivalent to fe at 0. So yes you were essentially running the same. Something else may be happening that i dont know about and he hasn't said though. But he said every number under 4 is the same as taking normal fe negative by a quarter. So that f2 0 is the same as if you could run fe at negative 1

Tom's clarification was needed and welcome. It seems the F2 settings are his baby that he convinced ML to implement.

So F2 4 and higher gives increasing levels of rejection of bottle caps and round iron.

Settings below F2 4 give increasing levels of sensitivity to masked/tilted coins in iron at and increased level of audio fatigue.  I've used FE 0 since almost day one So will jump right to F2 0 and see if I can handle it in that bed of nails site comparing targets to FE 0 for sh@ts and giggles.

The question on my mind is that blackened earth from the fire, will it have an effect on the outcome? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jackpine said:

Tom's clarification was needed and welcome. It seems the F2 settings are his baby that he convinced ML to implement.

So F2 4 and higher gives increasing levels of rejection of bottle caps and round iron.

Settings below F2 4 give increasing levels of sensitivity to masked/tilted coins in iron at and increased level of audio fatigue.  I've used FE 0 since almost day one So will jump right to F2 0 and see if I can handle it in that bed of nails site comparing targets to FE 0 for sh@ts and giggles.

The question on my mind is that blackened earth from the fire, will it have an effect on the outcome? 

Hi Jackpine, what is the link for Tom's clarification? I'm trying to understand the equivalence of F2 at 5 and above compared to FE. Anyone know Is F2 just an extension of the FE tones above and below FE0, or does it do something extra/different? My challenge is to not waste time being distracted by Iron Falsing. I'm fed up digging horseshoes and Iron crap at 13, on the off-chance that the variable signals I'm seeing may be deep or on-edge coins. I check using AM and 5Hz but too many still fool me (UK fields, Field 2 using standard settings) 

8 hours ago, CliveHamy said:

My challenge is to not waste time being distracted by Iron Falsing. I'm fed up digging horseshoes and Iron crap at 13, on the off-chance that the variable signals I'm seeing may be deep or on-edge coins. I check using AM and 5Hz but too many still fool me (UK fields, Field 2 using standard settings) 

Same here.  I hunt on dirt exclusively and usually check U.S. nickel range (12-13) signals by switching to 5Hz and I've found this method to be very effective in identifying bottle caps.  My big problem is bent rusty nails.  I haven't seen any testing on these yet with the new update  (though I realize that air testing on rusty nails is of limited value).  I downloaded the update last night and hope to get out to an old site soon and see what happens.  Would be very interested in hearing other folks results as well.