A package I've been very much looking forward to arrived in the mail today, I call them the twins.  It made sense to package them both in one package for postage reasons and fortunately JW was working doing some renovations at his house around the corner from mine today so he had his a few minutes after the courier arrived at my place with the package as I shot straight over to give it to him. 

I tore the box open to find them extremely well packaged

IMG_20190926_111415.thumb.jpg.85ad03e948c4275af2a8241d6f3c8756.jpg

IMG_20190926_111521.thumb.jpg.7b1732a8f5e6d5f343c3a3e048fdb332.jpg

And now the twins

IMG_20190926_112438.thumb.jpg.d5b741ca6fc24bb806e908e8c237b029.jpg

15x10 spiral wound X-coils, one for the GPZ, one for the GPX.  The GPZ's coils curly cord seems good to me.

IMG_20190926_112352.thumb.jpg.b675144d58dc8f8ca69175a9ec1761f7.jpg

They came with a spare coil cover.  This is obviously the GPZ coil.

IMG_20190926_112355.thumb.jpg.c452a501fd66036c255d241f86580b8d.jpg

And the GPX one.

Hopefully I can find some gold soon with it, I've on a dry spell at the moment, although the football field of coins has kept me busy.  It's been about a month since I've attempted to find gold as my weekends are filled with skiing as my daughter is addicted to it and my week days have been busy doing the local coin hunting, now this coil has arrived I best get out there soon.  It snowed yesterday and today there is a freezing wind blowing off the snow, if it wasn't for that I'd be shooting off now to test it out.  Only about 2 weeks left of ski season.

JW's been doing pretty well lately with his 10x9" X-coil and he rarely takes it off he loves it so much so it will be interesting to see how he goes with this new one being spiral (flat wound) when his 10x9" is bundle wound. 

• Like 7

The twins look great Simon, I hope they find each of you some goodies.

cheers dave

• Thanks 1

As the weather is rotten outside I've been mostly stuck indoors going crazy wanting to take it out for a spin but I couldn't resist throwing the coil on a detector for a play, The first thing that stood out to me was something I also noticed on my other 12x6" X-coil and it's the way the cable comes out of the coil.  It's something I really appreciate about the X-coils as the cable comes out following the natural swing angle of the shaft, instead of going straight up out of the coil like every other GPX coil I own.   I think it means it's less likely to get hooked up on the sage bushes and so on that I detect around as it's right next to the shaft.

IMG_20190926_145511.thumb.jpg.43f10519f600fa4dd0d261e3ef5c7f5f.jpg

You can see in this photo on my QED, the natural swing angle of my detector is exactly in line with the coil cable.  I'm not sure if it was planned this way but if it was, it's a good idea.

• Like 4

One thing I did notice is the coil cable on the GPX model X-Coils is a bit stiffer than say a NF or Coiltek cable, it never caused me any grief, just something I noticed.

cheers dave

28 minutes ago, davsgold said:

One thing I did notice is the coil cable on the GPX model X-Coils is a bit stiffer than say a NF or Coiltek cable, it never caused me any grief, just something I noticed.

cheers dave

I found that with my 12x6" X-coil and people commented on my poor wrapping of the wire in this photo when I first used it.

IMG_20190521_152854.jpg

That was due to the stiff wire which I mentioned at the time, it never created any issues as because it was so stiff it never caused the detector any falsing with wire movement :laugh: It however has been completely rectified in the newer GPX X-coils, I can now do a nice tight wrap with minimal effort.  This photo is it fitted to my QED as I had a play with it inside my house due to weather, no point turning the GPX on inside my house 🙂

IMG_20190926_192903.jpg.bbae65c3e5832c68ead89886255ff212.jpg

This would be impossible with the earlier X-coil.

I now also have a 15x10 spiral, the slightly smaller cousin to the 17x12 spiral that I really like, I am going to have to give the 15x10 spiral a good go now.

15x10 spiral a.jpg

15x10 spiral.jpg

cheers dave

• Like 1

Are these supposed to be better than a Nugget Finder?

• Like 1

They're mostly made for the GPZ with very good results, a few have been made for GPX that work well, only time will tell I guess... they do look promising as I'm very happy with the performance of my X-coiil 12x6" GPX coil, I look forward to giving this 15x10" a good run.

• Like 1

The next coil for my X-coil stable arrived today, it's a 15x14" flat wound (spiral), I haven't even had a chance to test the 15x10" yet as between bad weather and taking my daughter skiing (it's school holidays) I've been very busy.

Today was a day off but the weather didn't play ball with rain and snow on the forecast.  I managed to take off down to the river behind my house just after it arrived for about 20 minutes before the heavy rain started.  I went woefully unprepared as I was in a rush to beat the weather so I just grabbed a bottle I've got a few bits of gold in to test them.    I just quickly threw the coil on my QED as it's quickest and easiest to use, no harness or cords or battery or anything to slow me down, just switch on and go like a VLF 🙂

Here is a quick video I took, very unscientific I know, didn't bother with depths and burying or anything but I was very happy with it's performance.  I didn't need to ground balance the QED it was balanced from turn on in default settings with this coil in this soil.  I did suffer a bit from EMI with this bigger coil in this area, no surprise as there are high voltage power lines nearby from the windmills, I could of messed with the SMR (like manual tune) to get rid of it but I was in a rush with the black clouds coming.  In the video I'm mostly holding the coil quite high off the ground and lower it a bit on the two smallest bits, the other bits are a good 5+ inches off the ground, probably a reasonable amount more than that... as I said, unscientific 🙂

Now the weather has kicked in I'm stuck inside 🙂 I'm glad I got to have a little play with the coil, so far I really like it a lot.  I had a play with some editing software on this video, I've never bothered doing that before 🙂

IMG_20190930_132724.thumb.jpg.b00bcced9367137b92e4eeca07c50629.jpg

I hope NZ has some bigger deep gold for me to find!

• Like 4