TDI Hi-q

Glenn in CO

Noob

That’s what I said that Jack said at White’s when I called there and it’s a folded mono .

Noob and Jim why wouldn’t White’s make the mods if it would improve the SL ? It’s not like it’s going to cost big bucks to make some simple changes.. We already know just upping the voltage would help to improve it overall.

If it would help to solve this unknown factor I’d call White’s again. I need someone who talk the talk and I don’t think that’s me .

Chuck 

27 minutes ago, noob said:

The coil is probably nothing special.  I'm  willing to bet it's a standard folded mono except that it's  made using Litz wire and a graphite shield. 

Don't think so. Whites ad says it is a Dual Field coil. They also say it's patented. The Folded coil idea can't be patented...it's in the public domain. Whites has the patent on the Dual Field design.

Jim

I believe in due time by a video we should see how hot this maybe new coil and SL is ..

I’ll just leave it at that for now and keep my money in my pocket.

Chuck 

• Like 1

“ This compact detector weighs only 3.5 pounds with its waterproof 12” Spider Search Coil, which offers deep detection depth. Other accessory coils are also available.”

Is White's going to keep it a secret what the new 8"x14" Dual Field will weigh on the TDI SL?

The patent number is US7994789B1. Look it up on Google Patents.

Jim

Well, they've never before made a DF as an elliptical, nor have they ever had a 14" DF. It's also possible they have modified this particular coil in some way. The thing that bothers me about all this, and I'm not backing Whites here, is why is the "tone" of threads about Whites always so negative? Minelab screws up and everybody makes excuses for them...like leaking, and wobbly shafts, etc. But Whites are jumped on for every little thing.  That patent is from 2009....still has almost 10 years to run. The idea was good enough that Reg Sniff came up with the folded mono to try and get around it. Lets give Whites a little credit. And their latest patent is from 2018, though on a different idea. They're still coming up with new ideas.That 2018 patent is for an auto-nulling circuit to improve the balance between the transmit and receive coils in VLF's. I have no idea, but it may be in use in the GM24K.

Jim

3 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

The thing that bothers me about all this, and I'm not backing Whites here, is why is the "tone" of threads about Whites always so negative? Minelab screws up and everybody makes excuses for them...like leaking, and wobbly shafts, etc. But Whites are jumped on for every little thing.

In my opinion I don't see the threads as negative, I see them as missed opportunities for White's introducing new products by limited information and details. Can't buy a new coil design without buying the whole detector package? I want to see White's stay in the game and become a leader or stiff competition in the metal detector industry. Who knows maybe this is their new way to "hype" new products or marketing strategy. We will see!

• Like 2

The term 'Q' is an electronics thing. I have some background in that, but that said, I don't have full understanding. I do know you can increase the 'Q' of a coil, which is a good, thing, by increasing the number of turns in the windings. But coming up with a new coil for an existing detector requires all the coil values to match the older coils. So, requires some engineering to get it right. Inductance, DC resistance, etc. IMHO I can't see Whites claiming higher "Q" value if it didn't exist. That would make them outright crooks. I just don't believe that. Without one of the coils to disect, there's no way to know for sure. I imagine we'll find out, in due course.

So, to take my mind off detectors, I'm heading for Yellowstone Park Sunday to get in a few days of late season fly fishing for spawning browns. Yee Haa!

Jim

• Like 2