TDI Hi-q

Glenn in CO

Ok, here is what we have so far as of today, 10/18/19. From White’s website on the camo version of Hi-Q:

“All-new patented 8×14″ Dual Field coil for improved depth and sensitivity.”

White’s website on the tan version of Hi-Q:

“All-new patented 8×12″ Dual Field High-Q coil for improved depth and sensitivity.“

Both detectors have the same MSRP of $1195.95. If you order the camo from White’s website, do you get a larger coil as advertised?

For what it’s worth dealers are advertising both as having an 8” x 12” or more accurately 7.5” x 12” coil

Does “all-new” mean all new? Does High-Q have some kind of new performance feature? Or is it just a name picked out of a hat?

Or is this “all-new patented” a newer version of the patented Dual Field coil series but otherwise nothing new beyond a new housing?

Ridge Runner called White’s and was told verbally this is a folded mono coil. So which is it, the patented Dual Field, or not patented folded mono design? Or is there a new Hi-Q folded mono White’s is patenting? If so, where is the patent application?

Personally, just looking at the housing, it appears to be a simple mono coil design, neither Dual Field or folded mono.

Yet the email from White’s posted by garikfox says “The TDI Hi-Q is our version of the TDI-MJD they perform identical...”

So no improved depth and sensitivity? And folded mono, not Dual Field? Or does “our version” just mean both coils are black and elliptical, and maybe this is just a regular mono coil as seems to be looking at the housing? Or is it more a reference to the prior TDI-SL with Miner John coil and this TDI-SL and this new coil, with this version having no improved depth and sensitivity over the Miner John version. In other words, they ran out of Miner John coils and replaced it with something made by White’s, but otherwise basically the same thing?

If that is the case, what is this all about?....

“All-new patented 8×12″ Dual Field High-Q coil for improved depth and sensitivity.“

I don’t think I am picking on White’s here. These are honest questions about what White’s is advertising. The advertising does not seem to match what is being told to customers verbally and via email. Or is it just me and I’m being out of line with these questions? You tell me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some people would say the TDI has the advantage over GPX in the iron discrimination area. The truth is they both suck compared to a VLF when it comes to discrimination. Passing on a target with a PI is a risky game at best. Get a PI for ground handling and a VLF for discrimination.

• Haha 1

Thanks, Steve.  My perspective is having used both for relic hunting and admittedly not for prospecting.  On the TDI a minie ball and a square nail have similar responses.  Not so on the GPX.  The high tone (low conductor) cherry pick feature is great for buttons and other brass targets but will reject large lead.  

So, I can see from a prospecting perspective where this might be advantageous but it seems like a pretty brute force way to iron discriminate (I.e. giving up on high conductors) which is not an “either or” choice I have to make with the GPX though I can still be fooled by bent nails on the GPX even with ferrous blanking.  

I have a lot less swing time on the TDI than on the GPX, for full disclosure so...yeah probably not the best anti-endorsement.  

But if, like Garik, you already have a brand new GPX, why switch to TDI at this point unless weight is an issue and you also don’t mind losing some $$ due to depreciation if you sell your “like new” GPX.  I would give the GPX a spin first and then decide.  But that’s just me.  

OTOH glad to see Whites trying breath some life into the TDI line, but I agree some technical clarity and less marketing doublespeak on the new coil offerings would be welcome especially since they are targeting primarily experienced prospectors and relic hunters who generally can see through the hype and just want transparency and facts.

.I believe that White’s has type- O on their site on the size of the coils for the Camo TDI SL .

Why would anyone offer one size on one then another size on the other? Then the only way I can get said coil I got to buy a particular color detector that I don’t want.

Just maybe someone hasn’t got the message of telling the buyer take this are nothing is history.

Chuck 

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If that is the case, what is this all about?....

I don’t think I am picking on White’s here. These are honest questions about what White’s is advertising. The advertising does not seem to match what is being told to customers verbally and via email. Or is it just me and I’m being out of line with these questions? You tell me.

Solid questions, Steve, and they deserve to be answered by Whites. I don't see any bias in those questions. Too many separate answers to a simple question. C'mon Whites...what's the story? Also, the patent application may be there, but has yet to be published. You can forestall publishing for up to 18 months after the application.

Jim

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

All-new patented 8×12″ Dual Field High-Q coil for improved depth and sensitivity.“

I totally agree with you Steve about the misinformation White's is telling customers from the customer service representative at the factory and what they are advertising. Doesn't really give you a lot a faith of what you would actually be getting if you bought one today. I guess White's doesn't want us to worry about the technical side of the new product offering, they just want you to believe you will like it no matter what they say. Maybe Steve Howard will chime in.

I have a regular TDI big box and I have found more older coins and relics than any VLF detector I have used in the past or any VLF that is available today. The TDI does have limitations, but you can cherry pick deep coins that VLF detectors cannot detect. It takes awhile for a person to understand and use the TDI, but like any other learning curve you encounter with any detector once you master it capabilities, this TDI  in my opinion is amazing.

• Like 3

I’ve bought shotguns and rifles but I have yet to buy one in camo . I don’t see myself anytime in the future buying a detector in camo either.

If a guy back in the 1800 can stand his rifle against a tree then get turned around and having to walk off leaving it . What makes you think it couldn’t happen to you in a wooded area with a camo detector..

The above story about the rifle is true. It was found just like I said in one of our national forest standing there just like  the owner left it.

Chuck 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 4:06 PM, Jim in Idaho said:

Solid questions, Steve, and they deserve to be answered by Whites. I don't see any bias in those questions. Too many separate answers to a simple question. C'mon Whites...what's the story? Also, the patent application may be there, but has yet to be published. You can forestall publishing for up to 18 months after the application.

Jim

It may be patented, but is it patented by White's??

The Special Edition created by Miner John was a huge hit.  John was no longer able to produce them after the Paradise Fire wiped out the town.  His coils were not patented.

Whites reverse engineered the coil and put a patent on it.  The coil is "new" to Whites but it's the Miner John design.   Nothing else was added or changed.  Everything else on/in the detector is the same as the SE.  I received this info from the factory.

I bought the tan model as I live in the Pacific Northwest.  Sometimes I'll leave my detector and go back to my vehicle for something.  I was afraid I'd lose the Camo in the forest.