TDI Hi-q

Glenn in CO

37 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

The Special Edition created by Miner John was a huge hit.  John was no longer able to produce them after the Paradise Fire wiped out the town.  His coils were not patented.

Whites reverse engineered the coil and put a patent on it.  The coil is "new" to Whites but it's the Miner John design.   Nothing else was added or changed.  Everything else on/in the detector is the same as the SE.  I received this info from the factory.

I bought the tan model as I live in the Pacific Northwest.  Sometimes I'll leave my detector and go back to my vehicle for something.  I was afraid I'd lose the Camo in the forest. 

Whites could not patent the design after the fact of its sales to the public. Can't be done. The only way they could patent it would be to make a substantial change in the design. Nobody can patent an idea that is even publicly written about. Once an idea, or design, is known, it can't be patented.

Given that, and given the fact that Whites is calling this a High-Q coil, it's possible Whites has come up with a design change that increases the 'Q' factor of the coil. That change could be substantial enough to allow it to be patented.

Jim

• Like 2

Bohemia Miner

Being you the only one here that has the TDI SL with the said hot new coil from White’s we want to hear more from you.

If you can will you please run a Pinpointer over the coil to see if you can determine if the coil has a loop on the front end .

I know I’m asking a lot but if you find the time a coin air test would be great. We would be so lucky if you have a test garden too.

I thank you ahead of time for anything you can give us.

Chuck 

Makes some interesting reading about this new coil for the TDI sl,i have what was possibly the very last TDI Pro that was sold in the UK,it was a special order that Steve Howard allowed to come over from the US,also was lucky to buy some of the Jimmy Sierra coils which had been made by Miner John before Jimmy had been forced too close down.Got some amazing bargain on the coils but my favourite by a large margin is the Coiltek 14x9 Mono coil which is of course designed for the GPX range of machines.But it works exceptionally well pn the TDI Pro the biggest main advantage is that its ultra lightweight as its foam filled.

I doubt that after the major fire that wiped out MJ coils and all his moulds etc he will ever start up in business again,the small profit margins associated in producing coils means that you could not keep going unless you diversify and i guess MJ did by producing coil cover etc for GPZ and various allied machines.Not sure if MJ was covered by insurance ??

A couple of times i had thought about doing the upgrade modifications that some folks had done to the Pro version but that was about as far as i got,its finally out of warranty but still worried about doing something major and burn some of the major components out.

Hi RickUK

Jimmy was a great guy to deal with and gave great service with some great products that carried his name.

I bought a TDI from a dealer that was under his distributor with White’s when they came out. It worked great for a while but then had trouble. I’d sent it back three times but on it Jimmy steps in and told Whites to give me a new one.

Jimmy wanted to pass the business on to a family member so he could retire but White’s said no you’re not. That made years of service come to a end quick.

Oh each time that TDI went back I paid shipping.

Chuck 

Ridge Runner, I will do that but was told that it was an exact copy of John's coil because there was mo patent on it.

I haven't gotten around to a Test Garden yet.  However, I did do an Air Test between a 10" Elliptical folded "Jimmy" coil made by Miner John, the new High Q coil and a Coiltek Goldstalker coil using various sized nuggets.  I should have used some coin sized targets as well.  I guess it's time for another experiment.

I had that same problem with a customers MXT.  I asked Jimmy how many times did we need to send it in before we gave him a new one.  He replied "I'll send one out today with a label to send the other one back to me".

He was definitely big on Customer Service.  I heard a completely different story as to why they closed their doors.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:55 PM, Ridge Runner said:

I’ve bought shotguns and rifles but I have yet to buy one in camo . I don’t see myself anytime in the future buying a detector in camo either.

If a guy back in the 1800 can stand his rifle against a tree then get turned around and having to walk off leaving it . What makes you think it couldn’t happen to you in a wooded area with a camo detector..

The above story about the rifle is true. It was found just like I said in one of our national forest standing there just like  the owner left it.

Chuck 

Funny you should say that Chuck.  I have a buddy who hunted with a camo rifle.  He leaned it against a stump, walked away for a minute and couldn't find it for a while.

That's why mine is tan!  I live in the Pacific Northwest.  Sometimes I'll leave my detector and walk back to my vehicle.  I don't want to lose it in the woods.

• Oh my! 1

You know whatever the reason another great guy and his business not there for us anymore. I haven’t heard a word from Jimmy sense he went out of business. 

Chuck 

Bohemia Miner 

What you said about the camo is the reason I don’t have trouble with red one new detector is going to be,

Chuck 

On 10/22/2019 at 1:18 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Bohemia Miner

Being you the only one here that has the TDI SL with the said hot new coil from White’s we want to hear more from you.

If you can will you please run a Pinpointer over the coil to see if you can determine if the coil has a loop on the front end .

I know I’m asking a lot but if you find the time a coin air test would be great. We would be so lucky if you have a test garden too.

I thank you ahead of time for anything you can give us.

Chuck 

I just ran a test with various pin pointers and I cannot get it to react the same as my Miner John Jimmy coil.  The winding seems to be in the center rather than the edge.

And your not asking alot, Chuck.  Like my mentor Jim Straight, I like to see how things work!

Anyone have a diagram of John's coil for reference? 

Thanks!

Walt