TDI Hi-q

Glenn in CO

41 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Jim

I don’t know what the Sam Hill is going on because I ask a direct question to Jack if the High-Q was a dual field coil. His reply back to me no it’s not . He said it’s a folded mono.

I believe that White’s came up with a high tech name like High-Q so to sound like new technology. Would you want to say what joe blow has been making for years?

If you didn’t know about the coil before and everybody else didn’t know about them White’s has come up with new technology. Then all of us nuts who can’t live without it will have to buy . That’s just what White’s wants you to do .

Chuck 

LOL....I'm sticking with my original thought that it is a Dual Field coil. But, you can increase the Q factor of a coil by increasing the number of turns in the windings. Increasing the number of turns will also increase the resistance of the coil, however. Maybe Whites came up with a way to increase the Q, without increasing the resistance. Thus a "Hi-Q" coil. Generally, the higher the Q, the more sensitive the coil. Maybe one way to accomplish this would be two coils in the same housing, that are paralleled electrically. In a typical dual field coil, the large and small coils are in series. Maybe the new coil has 4 windings...in a series/parallel configuration?

Jim

Maybe Whites has come up with a way to increase the number of windings without increasing the overall resistance of the windings.

On Rob’s forum he had posted what White’s has and they calling the 8X14 a dual field coil.

I guess after talking with Jack I don’t know anymore than I did before my call . I guess if I called back to White’s they would tell me we don’t have a guy by the name of Jack there .

Maybe I’ll keep it simple and buy a Simplex.  ha

I’m not sure if I am Chuck.

I’ll just say bye 

hahahahahahahaha

J

Jim

It ain’t that funny . I looked in the mirror and somebody has written  stupid across my forehead .

The Best Jim   

Chuck 

It’s really funnier. When I said I was calling Whites you said best of luck with that and I didn’t realize how true your statement was until now.

• Like 1

On another forum I seen this guy has almost new V3i for sale but he don’t show what he wants just the list price of 1499.00 . He has yet to get anyone asking what he really wants.

I think the day of putting a detector in a sardine can is history. Just using plastic will cut down on the weight and yet looks better at the same time.

I know we have a lot of people on here is full time nugget hunters and part time coin hunters . Then you flip the coin over and you have a guy like me and that’s just the opposite. I’d like to say a nugget hunter first but that’s too far away here in Texas.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but White’s only has two true nugget detectors   The 24 K that hasn’t been out too long and the TDI SL  we won’t say how long but with a new skin and with a new hot coil not sure about it yet . Just maybe we’ll get to see a video on it to set the record straight if it’s one to set .

What I would like to know is have they done anything to the TDI to make it better other than like said new skin as in paint job ?

I know beauty is only skin deep but ugly is to the bone .

Chuck 

• Like 1

I know, for a fact, that Whites changed the TDI SL. Probably in 2015, but for sure the Special Edition. They removed C56, and the diodes D20 and D21, and installed a jumper across two of D21's 3 contact locations. I've done the same to my old 2013 unit. They did NOT do the sweep speed mod, which entails changing capacitors C20, and C21, unless they've just started doing that. They hadn't done the SS mod on the 2018 Special Edition.

The SS mod mainly benefits nugget hunters. The C56 mod increases the overall sensitivity.

Jim

35 minutes ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I know, for a fact, that Whites changed the TDI SL. Probably in 2015, but for sure the Special Edition. They removed C56, and the diodes D20 and D21, and installed a jumper across two of D21's 3 contact locations. I've done the same to my old 2013 unit. They did NOT do the sweep speed mod, which entails changing capacitors C20, and C21, unless they've just started doing that. They hadn't done the SS mod on the 2018 Special Edition.

The SS mod mainly benefits nugget hunters. The C56 mod increases the overall sensitivity.

Jim

Looks like I'm going to have to do the SS mod on my 2018 SL. I'm  also going to be doing additional mods as well.. cosmetic and functional. I'll post the pictures. .

Jim

I see you’re very knowledgeable on the electronics of the TDI SL . I too believe if you could get your hands on the tan SL you would know upfront what mods it had

The only thing standing in our way from us finding out is the 1099.00.

Chuck 

7 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Jim

I see you’re very knowledgeable on the electronics of the TDI SL . I too believe if you could get your hands on the tan SL you would know upfront what mods it had

Chuck 

The coil is probably nothing special.  I'm  willing to bet it's a standard folded mono except that it's  made using Litz wire and a graphite shield. 

37 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Jim

Chuck 

Chuck, I have a  buddy in Florida who is a tech for the Navy. His wife bought him one of the tan Special Edition models back in June. He took it apart and found that it had the diode mod done to it, but not the SS mod. It was made in 2018.

Jim

• Thanks 1