Nf 25 Evolution Mono?

Elijah

Busho, I'm afraid you are wrong about Jim Stewart pioneering flat wound coils. Lance Hewitt who worked for Minelab was winding flat wound coils years before Jim Stewart. I have a 24" that Lance wound back in the early nineties. John Hider-Smith also built large flat wound monos, and I prospected with both Jim Stewart and John in Western Australia, and I also have a 38" flat wound mono that John built. John learned how to wind coils from Bruce Candy.

The Laanecoorie 'bash' is held each year as a tribute to Jim Stewart who died from cancer, and the bash is a fund raiser for the Peter Mac cancer center at the caravan park that Jim once owned. 

As an ex friend of Jim's, no doubt we will see you there next weekend Busho?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Rohan replied and that it is an official coil to be released in October, the photo was from a Russian reseller of them.  That's a big EVO, pretty cool.

Why do Russian dealers always have these things so early in the cycle?  Are they finding lots of gold in Russia?  Where are the pictures and posts of nuggets from Russia?

23 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Busho, I'm afraid you are wrong about Jim Stewart pioneering flat wound coils. Lance Hewitt who worked for Minelab was winding flat wound coils years before Jim Stewart. I have a 24" that Lance wound back in the early nineties. John Hider-Smith also built large flat wound monos, and I prospected with both Jim Stewart and John in Western Australia, and I also have a 38" flat wound mono that John built. John learned how to wind coils from Bruce Candy.

The Laanecoorie 'bash' is held each year as a tribute to Jim Stewart who died from cancer, and the bash is a fund raiser for the Peter Mac cancer center at the caravan park that Jim once owned. 

As an ex friend of Jim's, no doubt we will see you there next weekend Busho?

No Im not. Yes others were doing stuff and I don't doubt you have one your mate built, I know others were doing things, but it was through the use and kind release of Jims info that the ones we have today are. That is what I was saying. Im not going to get into an "im right, you're wrong, I know more than you" thing here. Was just paying tribute to Jim for his knowledge and contribution. 

Busho, I appreciate the fact that you are paying tribute to Jim Stewart whom I knew,  prospected with, and was there at his funeral.  Unfortunately you just have your facts wrong, as the big coil which has appeared here on this forum (the Bismark) was bundle wound, as were most of the coils that Jim built, although he also built DDs. This can be backed up by others who were close to Jim.

The flat wound coils that are on the market today were not pioneered by Jim, as Rohan (Nuggetfinder) will be able to tell you, as will Coiltek. Others who worked with Jim on his coil projects would also be able to put you straight on the facts including Bruce Candy himself. 

You failed to enlighten us as to whether you will be attending the Laanecoorie 'bash' to spend a few bucks for a good cause in Jim's honour, but should you do so I can introduce you to some people who actually worked with Jim on coil projects, including the concentric coil, which is being redeveloped at the moment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Busho said:

No Im not. Yes others were doing stuff and I don't doubt you have one your mate built, I know others were doing things, but it was through the use and kind release of Jims info that the ones we have today are. That is what I was saying. Im not going to get into an "im right, you're wrong, I know more than you" thing here. Was just paying tribute to Jim for his knowledge and contribution. 

Nah Busho. Jim never claimed to pioneer flat wound coils. How do I know? 

Because I worked with Jim for many years both as a prospecting buddy in WA and Victoria, and also helped him wind many coils. He was intrigued by flat windings and understood the principle very well (after seeing what Bruce Candy and others had achieved with them) and we even attempted a 36" DD using flat wound Litz wire, but it was not a success.

Jim did, however, wind many successful coils. As Reg points out, Jim's major success and big money earner was the 36" bundle wound "Bismarck" coil, although he also wound different sized coils for the SD2000 prototypes (in collaboration with close friend Bruce Candy) Here's the "Bismarck" with a 30 oz and a 5 oz we found with it at Guys Rush:

If you are attending the Laannecoorie bash next weekend then you can fact check the above statements with resident prospector Tony Honey who carries on Jim's tradition of homebrew coils, and worked in close collaboration with Jim until his unfortunate demise.

• Like 2

Why couldn't I get one of those when I was there?  haha  (Just to break the thread a bit!)

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Why couldn't I get one of those when I was there?  haha  (Just to break the thread a bit!)

John Hider Smith claims that you have to ding them hard with the pick to prevent them turning into lead  :)

As the video shows, we certainly dinged that one - although there were mitigating circumstances - - -

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chrisco said:

What dates and times is the Laanecoorie bash this year?

Chrisco, bit off topic but everything you need to know should be here (it's this weekend coming).  

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30879&p=1