Equinox 800 Testing Gold And Ferrous With Update 2.0

Detectorist AU

Just completed testing the latest software upgrade 2 on the Equinox 800. Impressive improvements on the Iron Bias discrimination. Check out the video I made when detecting gold with the new upgrade 2.0 installed.

NB: According to the newly updated Equinox user's guide (Page 52), running in F2 mode "disables" the old "FE" mode, and vice versa.  IN other words, you can't run an FE setting, and an F2 setting, at the same time.  If you set an F2 setting, then the old "FE" setting is inactive.  Then, if you set an FE setting, that deactivates your F2 setting.

• Like 4

thank you for this Video but you are NOT running "factory Standard as Gold 2 runs in MULTI and you run in 40KHZ

On September 27, 2019 at 6:12 AM, Detectorist AU said:

NB: According to the newly updated Equinox user's guide (Page 52), running in F2 mode "disables" the old "FE" mode, and vice versa.  IN other words, you can't run an FE setting, and an F2 setting, at the same time.  If you set an F2 setting, then the old "FE" setting is inactive.  Then, if you set an FE setting, that deactivates your F2 setting.

During your Gold Mode testing you may have inadvertently (or intentionally) set your detector to operate at 40MHz frequency, which completely disables iron bias - both Fe and F2.

Stated on Page 52 of the manual, "Iron Bias is only available when the operating frequency is Multi". This is not any different than previous firmware versions and applies to all modes.

With that in mind, it would be interesting to see you run your tests over again in Multi using the same targets, various Fe vs. F2 equivalents, and, if available, a hot rock in close proximity to your gold targets. All prospectors have a pet hot rock, right?🕍

Thanks for making the effort to conduct, video and post your original attempt. I hope you adjust and post again.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Flowdog said:

During your Gold Mode testing you may have inadvertently (or intentionally) set your detector to operate at 40MHz frequency, which completely disables iron bias - both Fe and F2.

Stated on Page 52 of the manual, "Iron Bias is only available when the operating frequency is Multi". This is not any different than previous firmware versions and applies to all modes.

With that in mind, it would be interesting to see you run your tests over again in Multi using the same targets, various Fe vs. F2 equivalents, and, if available, a hot rock in close proximity to your gold targets. All prospectors have a pet hot rock, right?🕍

Thanks for making the effort to conduct, video and post your original attempt. I hope you adjust and post again.

Yes I did have this set to 40Mhz on the first run however if you look further into the video (8:20 minutes in) where I did further testing then this was done in Multi with similar results. Interestingly it seems that F2 bias also worked in 40Mhz.

At the end of your video, you showed how to set FE & FE2 settings(7:20ish mark).  You did this in Park 1 and then went to Gold 2 mode.  My understanding is that the FE2 setting is local.  Here is what the ML manual states:

Iron Bias adjustment is local; only the current Detect Mode Search Profile will be affected by changes to this Advanced Setting.

• Like 2

You also really should have removed all disc (AM) so we could hear the intensity of the iron grunt, that is what really confirms the presence of iron, not absence of falsing.

Too many discrepancies/inconistencies/ambiguities here for the audience (e.g., single frequency, non- global F2 setting, and disc applied, plus doing it on a surface with rebar underneath) plus no comparison with FE to really conclude anything from the video regarding the new iron bias filter.  Thanks for posting nevertheless, a few useful tidbits there regarding response to different gold targets with the new software.

Maybe you can apply some of the feedback you received to post an improved video test.

• Like 2