E600 Update

dan_h

Downloaded the update file at a wi fi coffee shop yesterday then went home and offline installed the update with no problems.  Like that lower back light setting.  Maybe some unannounced changes will involve how the different modes weight the Multi-IQ responses.

I had changed Park1, Fielld2 and Beach1 per suggestions in the Equinox Handbook.  Perhaps these settings will operate differently now.  So I did a full reset before updating and will use the new defaults for a while.  There are parks within walking distance of my apartment so I'll start off  with the new Park1.

• Like 1

I uploaded the update to my 600 two days ago when I received it from ML.

I read the first few threads of the 1st post on the update and headed out to my fav relic/coin site knowing very little of what I was supposed to do to test the new FE2 feature.  My site is heavily polluted with iron, aluminum, tin, rusty nails, pull tabs, screw caps, etc. Homes were demolished here in the 50's and they pretty much bulldozed the small stuff into the soil. 

Update was easy. Took 1 minute. The 2 backlight settings work perfectly. FE and FE2 work perfectly. 

I ran Park 1, 23 sens, iron vol 3, 50 tones multi, horseshoe on, rec spd 2, FE2, nc & gb.

Since I know this site like the back of my hand, I noticed an immediate difference in FE2-2 (6 on the 800). The signals were choppy and sputtering. It seemed the Nox was having difficulties hanging onto targets. I'm assuming separation was under performing due to high concentration of iron/trash. It did however, hit pretty hard on shallow zinc'rs and screw/bottle caps. 

I was uncomfortable with how it was performing so I scaled it up to FE2-3 (9 on the 800). Again choppy and sputtery signals and I felt I was not going to lock onto deeper targets. Targets at the top though, no problem, it hit them pretty hard.   

I then reverted back to FE1-0 and went into my comfort zone. Immediately dug a 1919 S Wheat and a couple of clad quarters.

Now that I've read a significant number of FE2 comments on various forums, I will have a different or more detailed approach going into my site the 2nd time around, ie; watch for the changes in positive/negative iron TDI's and whatever hints or tricks I can gain as the new FE feature is worked out by everyone. 

img_20190925_174519.jpg

img_20190925_174533.jpg

• Like 1