Newbie Needs Detector Advise For Large Cache

hello! my first post...been researching for a new detector and quite honestly, getting frustrated. There is a rumored cache in my area which could be a large deeply buried target. Would be great to get to a depth of 2-3 meters. However, I would also use the detector for gold and meteorites. The main target is in highly mineralized soil and rock. Essentially, looking at a contact of rock outcrop and volcanic cinders. Not level at all! 

Looking into the 2-box, could go deep enough but read that they don't really work for this topographic challenge? Looking at Garrett atx with 20 inch coil, can't really find out how deep that will go? but seams to meet all other needs. Also looking at garrett 2500 because it has the optional 2 box with a standard detector, but can't really understand the depth abilities on it either, and worried it really isn't that good otherwise. The ATX would be a financial reach for me, so I think minlabs are out of the question.

Gee, I guess I want it all! Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!!

I can't tell you the best detector for your requirements, but on a limited budget, there seem to be some great buys on Ebay recently for used detectors.  I think it's the time of year (end of detecting season in much of the US).  You should probably post some more background on your situation, such as your experience, what detectors you've owned, and a very rough location of where you expect to be using it, e.g. state/province.

• Like 1

Malter

I found that Fisher two box detector always worked great for me . White’s has one that’s in one unit but never used one .

i just let my friend have my Fisher but if found the need it would be another Fisher.

Chuck 

12 hours ago, malter said:

Would be great to get to a depth of 2-3 meters.

That type of depth is highly specialized and will cost to much for the average person.

I would think about something for ease of use and within your budget. There are several out there, and you can find some used ones on Ebay or on some forums.

Good luck

9 hours ago, 2Valen said:

That type of depth (2 to 3 meters) is highly specialized and will cost to much for the average person.

Actually it is very size dependent.  In his 1985 book Modern Metal Detectors, Charles Garrett says the 2-box TR is capable of finding 'large objects' at depths of 15-20 feet (4.5 to 6.0 meters).  How much this is deteriorated by ground mineralization is the big question.

New, the Fisher Gemini III 2-box detector is $650 on Ebay.  Used (but no transferable warranty) I've seen them go for less than $400.

• Like 1

Treasure tales are almost always exaggerated ….7 to 10 feet is pretty deep, if you have ever dug a two foot hole you'd know what I mean...

You can buy an older model Minelab Pi for 400-800  dollars with a big coil...if the cache is in an iron container you might find it....

good luck...the truth is out there

fred

• Like 1

Thanks everyone...I keep researching. I worry the 2 box will not work in the mineralized, unlevel and rock outcrop area I will be looking. Also, will use in other areas for meteorites and gold. This cache was reportedly buried deep in an existing wide "crack" in rock. Almost like a backfilled small "cave". Maybe that's the reason why no one has found it. I do currently own a decent White's but it does not go deep. Leaning toward a PI with large coil. Maybe the used Minelab market is worth exploring? Any other thought appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...