Steve Herschbach

Potential Leak & Condensation Issues With Beachhunter Boxes & 12” Coils

I wonder why all these detector companies can't seal these units like we did for Navy equipment when required.I would put the electronics enclosures with them open with components that were tested after repair into a vacuum oven at 100 degs for 4 hours at 1 torr+9.Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 760 torr.Then put a nitrogen charge into it a 10 psi for 1 hour and then seal the case.Putting the case in water for 24 hours to test it.I never had any of them come back for leakage.If there were any problems the bubbles would let us know.On VPI motor and generator windings we would put them in water brought to conductivity of sea water with baking soda and put a meggar on them for 24 hours.

The case may be perfectly sealed, but if opened to change batteries in very humid conditions moisture can enter the case. Then when the case is submerged in cool water condensation can occur. The Beachhunter case has more air inside than most waterproof detector cases, and also unlike most others the battery compartment is not separated from the electronics compartment. That is the root issue here really, not the case itself leaking.

• Like 1

As you state here:Poorly designed to not have a separate power supply.I have the Nox 800 and am a little concerned about the battery being not replaceable even with the tech on recharge batteries being so much better than in the past.My cell battery is still going strong after 3 yrs so I guess I should worry about more important stuff,huh?

OP - that’s how we get $10k toilet seats.  No company can afford to spend that kind of money testing every unit of  a sub $1k detector.  You have to just design it right to start with, then qualify a production process which yields six sigma quality units.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ospreypaul said:

I have the Nox 800 and am a little concerned about the battery being not replaceable

The Equinox battery is replaceable.

I've noticed on the last couple of hunts with my TdiBH that i have a slight fogging on the inside top corners. Now I'm undecided whether to get in touch with Whites.
Its never had a problem with this in the past and Ive had it 13 months now. I don't use it underwater, but the weather has been wet of late and of course colder.
I may well sit the unit on a radiator for a few minutes without the battery pack in and with the rubber clamp off.

I had my first bit of fogging today........it doesn’t bother me at all and is very unlikely to cause any electrical issues within the unit. The weather was warm and humid when I closed the rubber clamp. Maybe next time I will close it up in front of the AC and see how it goes. 
Another alternative is get a 12v hair dryer and blast some warm, dry air inside the unit before closing it up.......and then style my hair before hitting the beach 😂

Tony

......... I just realised that I left the silica gel pack out. 🧐

Even my SeaHunter that can go to 200ft has a window to show any condensation. Steve is right about changing batteries. Battery compartments could easily be isolated and be better waterproofed imo.

Wonder if you could use a wireless charging?

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_without_wires

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By auminesweeper
      Steve has this article been removed because I have tried to read it a few times and I keep getting the Error 404 page??
      Thanks, john
    • By auminesweeper
      Steve, I just read your TDI Moore Creek Review and In it you said the you managed to run the TDI At Full Gain, Yet I have heard tales stating that the TDI is Noisy, So what I am asking is it the Location that made the TDI Quiet so you could run it that Hi or Is The TDI pro more Noisy than the TDI you Have/Had,
      Because I have read many times that most people can not run them about 6 on the Gain,??
      Thanks Steve.
      John
    • By Mark Gillespie
      Whites TDI SL
      Went to an old school where the coal cinder waste has been dumped for years and hunted for 1 ½ hours. This area has been grid hunted for years and I was sure there were no goodies left to be found. Well wrong again.
      GB to a little over 8, pulse 10, gain 10 and off I went; very first signal was a wheat penny at 4-5 inches and perfectly vertical. You can see the scratch I made with my shovel. Wow, was I off on my pin pointing skills. Couldn’t believe how I could have missed that one because it gave a very good, consistent audio response from every direction. One thing I noticed, it didn’t give a double beep like a VLF machine would on a vertical coin.

Thought I had the sound nailed down, but was I wrong. Started digging nails, three to be exact, all sounded fairly good but I could tell there was something wrong, but I’m learning, so I dug anything that sounded remotely good.
      A few minutes later, not more than 10’ from the penny, another signal that sounded different, not sure what sounded different, still learning. Wow, a silver dime and not quite 5” deep. Now I am wondering how I could have missed that one, not a clue yet.
      Well anyway, the next two targets were nails, then another perfectly vertical copper penny. Had a very good hunt, for an area that basically dried up over a year ago. Wonder what I'll find once I have a little time on this machine?

• By auminesweeper
      Comparing the TDI SL and The MXT Pro (12")
      I was wondering if anyone as Compared these Two Machines, Because the SL is an in between machine, Between it and the ML 5K,
      I have been wondering about these two machine Because I have Read Stories about people Pulling One Ounce Nuggets at 18" At Gains Creek with the MXT fitted with the 12 inch Coil, And I have seen Coins come up at over 13" with the same setup with the Gain set between 6.5 to 7, Yet I have never heard about Deep Nuggets found with the TDI SL, and I have heard about people digging Bobby Pins on the beach with the TDI's at 16" to 18", In Air Tests My GMT with the standard 5X9 coil versus the TDI SL, On a Round Flat 1 1/4ozt Lead Nugget TDI SL = 18" and the GMT = 21" set at 7'5 (pre set mark) So I could do up to 10 if conditions Allow, But considering the SL has a 12 DF mono I would never of expected that to happen, Like The MXT when you Turn The GMT up you Can hear it Changing Gears so to Speak as it Multiplies the Gain,
      Has anyone here found any Deep Nuggets with the SL, I know that someone in OZ found a 5.6ozt nugget AT 32" using a 20 NF Coil,
      I have picked up Large Iron at have 4 foot deep and the subway Tunnel at over 6 feet deep, But as winter is all but over I am hoping to get out and do some testing ect,
      Thanks Guys,, John
    • By Reg
      I was curious just how a dual D coil would work on a TDI and this is what I found but first, I need to say my Dual D differs a little from ML's or Minelab's design a little. The reason is simple, I wanted to use what I already had made and just modify the mounting.
      My main TX coil looks basically the same is those in the posts of the dual D coil, but my RX coil is a little different. Instead, my two D coils are part of one large winding shaped into two D's, with a half twist in the leads passing through the center of the TX winding A simple half twist puts one winding out of phase with the other RX winding, so cancellation is the same.
      Ok, here are the results. First, the coil is quite sensitive, very quiet, and requires no ground balance signal at all. At least, it doesn't at my house. The detector is so quiet with or without the GB on, it is clear that I could increase the gain and, thus, the depth when using this coil.
      The coil housing I used is a 12" by 9" so it is smaller than the factory 12". However, the sensitivity is close to the same I am also betting I can increase the windings in the receive with little to no major noise effect,and possibly a little gain. I also have an idea to increase the gain another way.
      Right now, I see a depth increase on the TDI since I can run with the GB off just fine even over really bad ground, but I feel I can do much better with a few other tricks.
      So, it is possible even the old detectors have life left.
      Reg
    • By Tony
      I’ve recently had a few emails regarding my TDIBH so I thought I’d hammer out a response. I’m going to try and summarise with some dot points;
      I have close to 500 hours on this machine and run the 14.8v (nominal voltage) Lithium battery pack. Details in my earlier posts. The detector has found me quite a lot of big and deep gold. I don’t use it much in the water as conditions down here are generally quite rough. The 12” coil is physically too big in waves and white water. Also, digging 18” targets when you are being swept around by waves and swell is almost impossible even with 30 pounds of lead. The detector is now mainly used on the lower beach and low tide areas. I have had no issues running the 14.8v pack. I charge overnight and let the voltage settle down before using the next day as this avoids the off the charger voltage of 16.8v. My run time is about 6 hours before I swap out for a fresh pack. I have had no condensation issues within the detector. I do have a large silica gel pack in the battery compartment. The detector is quieter than other PI’s with the low delays when used in the shallow water and saturated hard pan. The SAT is very good in keeping things quiet even at low delay settings. Maybe it is the new Flux Capacitor that White’s now use 😉 I have several layers of yellow Plasti Dip on my coil to keep it well protected on the coarse shells and exposed reef areas.  My ultimate power setting is minimum Delay and maximum Gain, threshold a fraction below audible with volume up high. Frequency is usually at the 12 o’clock position. I have only ever needed to change this once. My deepest ever finds have come from this machine. GB is always OFF unless I hit a rare patch of black sands. You need a BIG and STURDY scoop..............Tony