Potential Leak & Condensation Issues With Beachhunter Boxes & 12” Coils

I wonder why all these detector companies can't seal these units like we did for Navy equipment when required.I would put the electronics enclosures with them open with components that were tested after repair into a vacuum oven at 100 degs for 4 hours at 1 torr+9.Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 760 torr.Then put a nitrogen charge into it a 10 psi for 1 hour and then seal the case.Putting the case in water for 24 hours to test it.I never had any of them come back for leakage.If there were any problems the bubbles would let us know.On VPI motor and generator windings we would put them in water brought to conductivity of sea water with baking soda and put a meggar on them for 24 hours.

• Like 1

The case may be perfectly sealed, but if opened to change batteries in very humid conditions moisture can enter the case. Then when the case is submerged in cool water condensation can occur. The Beachhunter case has more air inside than most waterproof detector cases, and also unlike most others the battery compartment is not separated from the electronics compartment. That is the root issue here really, not the case itself leaking.

• Like 1

As you state here:Poorly designed to not have a separate power supply.I have the Nox 800 and am a little concerned about the battery being not replaceable even with the tech on recharge batteries being so much better than in the past.My cell battery is still going strong after 3 yrs so I guess I should worry about more important stuff,huh?

OP - that’s how we get $10k toilet seats.  No company can afford to spend that kind of money testing every unit of  a sub $1k detector.  You have to just design it right to start with, then qualify a production process which yields six sigma quality units.

• Haha 1

I've noticed on the last couple of hunts with my TdiBH that i have a slight fogging on the inside top corners. Now I'm undecided whether to get in touch with Whites.
Its never had a problem with this in the past and Ive had it 13 months now. I don't use it underwater, but the weather has been wet of late and of course colder.
I may well sit the unit on a radiator for a few minutes without the battery pack in and with the rubber clamp off.

• 1 month later...

I had my first bit of fogging today........it doesn’t bother me at all and is very unlikely to cause any electrical issues within the unit. The weather was warm and humid when I closed the rubber clamp. Maybe next time I will close it up in front of the AC and see how it goes. 
Another alternative is get a 12v hair dryer and blast some warm, dry air inside the unit before closing it up.......and then style my hair before hitting the beach 😂

Tony

Even my SeaHunter that can go to 200ft has a window to show any condensation. Steve is right about changing batteries. Battery compartments could easily be isolated and be better waterproofed imo.

Wonder if you could use a wireless charging?

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_without_wires