Potential Leak & Condensation Issues With Beachhunter Boxes & 12” Coils

For a number of years I was a cable splicer and cable repairman with the phone company I was working for.

A splice didn’t have to get wet from direct rain from a hole in the sleeve covering the splice. You also have to deal with atmospheric pressure on the outside and inside of the cable. That small hole can act like a soda straw sucking the moisture in . To avoid from this happening you try to keep the cable pressurized.

When a cable does get wet you have to open the splice up and you start dumping in the desiccant. It came in 8 oz. can and it was nothing to use 6 cans if not more to dry out the splice. As you were drying out the splice you could feel the heat from the drying action from the desiccant. When you knew the splice was dry and as you wrap up the splice you added one more can .

Desiccant can’t adsorb but so much moisture and after that it’s exceeded its usefulness.

In my opinion if you have bags of desiccant inside the case they need to be replaced each time you open the case . The container the desiccant comes in the lid always needs to be on good. If not it’s usefulness can go flat and become worthless.

If you could suck out the air each time and then pressurize with nitrogen gas this would stop your problem.

Chuck 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

For a number of years I was a cable splicer and cable repairman with the phone company I was working for.

A splice didn’t have to get wet from direct rain from a hole in the sleeve covering the splice. You also have to deal with atmospheric pressure on the outside and inside of the cable. That small hole can act like a soda straw sucking the moisture in . To avoid from this happening you try to keep the cable pressurized.

When a cable does get wet you have to open the splice up and you start dumping in the desiccant. It came in 8 oz. can and it was nothing to use 6 cans if not more to dry out the splice. As you were drying out the splice you could feel the heat from the drying action from the desiccant. When you knew the splice was dry and as you wrap up the splice you added one more can .

Desiccant can’t adsorb but so much moisture and after that it’s exceeded its usefulness.

In my opinion if you have bags of desiccant inside the case they need to be replaced each time you open the case . The container the desiccant comes in the lid always needs to be on good. If not it’s usefulness can go flat and become worthless.

If you could suck out the air each time and then pressurize with nitrogen gas this would stop your problem.

Chuck 

Yep....I have about 50 silica gel sachets. Self indicating which means they change colour as they absorb moisture. All kept in an airtight container until needed and baked in the oven as required and then reused.

• Like 1

Just maybe White’s needs to take a hint from other detector companies and have a complete sealed unit . The only trouble with this idea you couldn’t play around jacking up the voltage.

You can send in your BH in everyday until your warranty runs out but unless it’s re-engineered it will be a problem.

Like someone said that the electronics and battery compartment should have been separate.

The sad thing you can send it in until they give you a new one but your problem really  hasn’t gone away . 

I know I repeat myself over and over but the customer got the short end of the stick on this one.

Chuck 

The issue is being played up too much in my opinion. The Beachhunter ID came out in 2001 so 18 years in production. They’ve not been dying right or left or we would have heard more about it by now. Leave the battery door off when not in use, and keep fresh silica gel packs in the detector. A little blow in the door with a hairdryer won’t hurt things. Forewarned is forearmed.

But yes, designs like the Fisher CZ-21 where the circuit box is totally sealed and separate from the battery compartment are superior in my opinion.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

They should have included a vent plug in the design of the box? So after a hunt when stored, just open the plug to let any moisture escape. Would also allow for some equalization of pressure.