My Observations Of Eqx Update 2.0.1 And Iron Bias F2 At Daytona Beach

ColonelDan

16 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

With this machine there is so much information LOST hunting a beach in disc

Yes!

BUT in disc the machine is still processing ALL that information..... its just not being sent to the headphones.   So if that box is out of the water EMI .... silent EMI is affecting those targets as well as minerals.  I like to hear everything thats going on with the machine so i can make adjustments.  You maybe using the threshold too, i dont.   You need to hear iron IMO .... if there is iron chance are its a concentration of targets you have to work more closely.   Everyone has their way of hunting that works for them..... and once learned it works very well for them.

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

BUT in disc the machine is still processing ALL that information..... its just not being sent to the headphones.   So if that box is out of the water EMI .... silent EMI is affecting those targets as well as minerals.  I like to hear everything thats going on with the machine so i can make adjustments.  You maybe using the threshold too, i dont.   You need to hear iron IMO .... if there is iron chance are its a concentration of targets you have to work more closely.   Everyone has their way of hunting that works for them..... and once learned it works very well for them.

Not quite sure I follow. However, there are TWO ways to set sensitivity. Maximum as actual conditions allow with out too many false signals , ALSO setting sensitivity below the EMI interference. I MUCH prefer to set to conditions. 

As for hearing iron targets....who cares??  They are just a waste of time to allow me to cover more ground/sand. If I am stuck at the beach weeding through iron, time is a wasting.  

The nox is a great separator of targets. This is why it is important to check threshold breaks. 

One needs to trust their machine! If I walk a ways with silence I always have the option of throwing a coin on the ground to confirm it is working. 😉

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2019 at 12:04 PM, midalake said:

As for hearing iron targets....who cares?? 

Don't some deep non-ferrous keeper beach targets sometimes start out indicating in the ferrous bin?  I keep reading about such beach recoveries on this forum.  If you disc those out, then those will never be heard.  Though, if you are encountering a lot of true ferrous targets, it may not be worth the effort for such a low likelihood "false ferrous" find, so you might want to take the risk of missing that target for the sake of covering more beach area.  It's all about tradeoffs, I suppose.

• Like 1

ColonelDan 

Or others on EMI

Not familiar with that beach  , I imagine a large open area ?

Where would EMI be coming from ?

One of the closest fresh water beaches near me MN , I get what I think is EMI - a semi steady multi tone , almost like rattling , even when just setting the coil down flat with no movement , a little less with no movement .

This is in Park 1 & 2 after noise canceling .

Another hobby for me is ham radio , also do component level board repair , so wandering what frequencies affect this detector , have had my new Equinox 800 about 2-3 weeks .

On the beach it is typically near field cell phone interference and that is being picked up by the control head circuits, not typically the coil.  If there are beachside structures, then WiFi transmitters come into play.  Otherwise, other than the beach (and this applies to inland water sites), it’s overhead transmission lines, electric fences, WiFi, fluorescent fixtures, and transformer boxes.  Broad spectrum interference when talking Multi IQ multifrequency ops.  That is why when the “quiet”channel selection by the noise cancel routine is ineffective or forces you to go too low on the sensitivity setting, you can sometimes forgo the advantages of Multi and go single frequency.  Typically, the higher frequencies (I.e., 15, 20, or 40 kHz) are less susceptible to EMI but you may also take a depth hit especially at 20 and 40 kHz.  And sometimes you will find the lower frequencies are most quiet depending on the interfering noise source.

BTW, what you are describing sounds suspiciously like cell phone interference.  Turn your phone off, leave it in the car, or at the very least keep it in a pocket opposite of your swing arm so your body can act like an attenuating shield between the phone and control head.  Otherwise, avoid folks who obviously are using or possess a cell phone, if you can while detecting your freshwater beach.  HTH

• Like 1

For the most part a lot of that EMI goes away if you water hunt once the coil is in the water.   You didn’t just say drop a coin....i dig a few but for the most part am more concerned with targets around a penny and under.   Steve posted a very good chart on that MDT thread talking about tiny gold bleeding in and out of the salt range.   Most of us aren’t digging iron... but there is a trade off we are willing to make just because it takes time especially during recent drop periods.  A lot of hunters won’t chase anything that drops thru the scoop or in the very low digits because of the value of the targets.   Me.... I do just because a few smalls beats the price of change.  You just ain’t going to get it all so you key into time versus pay off.   For some that’s a easy disc pattern for others.... AM dig it till they drop

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

On the beach it is typically near field cell phone interference and that is being picked up by the control head circuits, not typically the coil.  If there are beachside structures, then WiFi transmitters come into play.  Otherwise, other than the beach (and this applies to inland water sites), it’s overhead transmission lines, electric fences, WiFi, fluorescent fixtures, and transformer boxes.  Broad spectrum interference when talking Multi IQ multifrequency ops.  That is why when the “quiet”channel selection by the noise cancel routine is ineffective or forces you to go too low on the sensitivity setting, you can sometimes forgo the advantages of Multi and go single frequency.  Typically, the higher frequencies (I.e., 15, 20, or 40 kHz) are less susceptible to EMI but you may also take a depth hit especially at 20 and 40 kHz.  And sometimes you will find the lower frequencies are most quiet depending on the interfering noise source.

BTW, what you are describing sounds suspiciously like cell phone interference.  Turn your phone off, leave it in the car, or at the very least keep it in a pocket opposite of your swing arm so your body can act like an attenuating shield between the phone and control head.  Otherwise, avoid folks who obviously are using or possess a cell phone, if you can while detecting your freshwater beach.  HTH

So...... could you wrap the control box in anti- EMI cloth to cut out the interference?? How about the coil? Would some form of cover on the top of the coil (not the bottom obviously) work as well, or would it cause chaos with the signal sent into the ground. I would love to shield my whole machine in some way.