Equinox Fe Vs F2 Iron Bias Relic Hunting

Published on Sep 30, 2019 by Relics & Rings - “I'm using the Minelab Equinox 800 relic hunting a few places and comparing signal with the new iron bias feature F2 on deep targets. My ground is moderately mineralized so deep targets can be masked by my ground. So does F2 improve the signal over FE? you be the judge.”

• Like 6

Interesting.  I wish I could get excited about digging old bullets. I like finding old (100+ years) brass cartridges, but lead is lead in my mind. I dig bullets pretty regularly,  so it would be nice if I could convince myself they were something other than lead scrap.  

• Like 2

Besides the historic context (e.g., if you dig a minie in the vicinity of Gettysburg, then you know it had to be dropped or fired beteen 1 and 3 July 1863 since there was no CW military action there other than those 3 dates), part of the fun of digging CW era bullets (minie balls) is looking for the many different varieties.  There are literally hundreds includin carbines and cleaner varieties.  It also means that if you are recovering them, you are likely in the right spot to dig the harder to recover and more interesting brass relics such as buttons and plates.

• Like 4

If I lived back east I'm sure I would feel differently. If I dig a minie here it is just as likely to be from a muzzle loader hunter 30 years ago as it is 130 years ago, and no real way of knowing. I've dug some Henry rifle brass which was cool, cause I knew what they were and that they are 1800's.

• Like 1

Just wondering guys, It just seems that FE-2-0 would be using a very limited filtering system, but by moving it up to FE-2-4 would have been a more accurate result and comparison between FE2 and FE modes.

I have been doing some backyard testing here and I really like the FE-2-4 an a Swing/Speed of 6, it seems to run very nicely in my test garden.

edit: Thanks for posting the Video Steve.

• Like 2

The Equinox certainly does have a tell on lead!! Like he said he doesn't mind so long as he knows what it's saying. Thanks for posting that video Steve! 

• Like 3