Minelab Vanquish Controls & Display Plus Coils

28 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

I note as the price of the detector goes down a larger block is deleted when you discriminate. Looks to go from about 2 on the 540 then 5 on the 440 and 10 on the 340. That’s if I read each correct.

Chuck 

Yep, that is true for notch.  Remember how you didn’t like that (click here)?  That is why it surprised me when you said you were going to run right out and get one (and a simplex), though your Equinox (if you still have it), ORX, and many of your other detectors do all the Vanquish does and more...and do it better.  Yes it is a great value as an entry level machine, but there are a lot of design compromises as a result.  If you already have a stable of mid to high range detectors for use, backup and borrowing, not sure what these bring to the table even though they are relatively in expensive and simple to use.  If you want simplicity, just run Equinox or ORX at the defaults and you will do great.

Mr. Goldman

The 540 is not bad at 2 and that’s one reason I have a problem with my Sport .

I guess as we pay less we got to expect less because less is what we get .

My favorite saying is spit in one hand and wish in the other to see what gets full the fastest.

Oh don’t get me wrong but I am thinking about buying the 540 to play around with but I too have a grandson waiting in the wing  for it .

Chuck 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Mr. Goldman

The 540 is not bad at 2 and that’s one reason I have a problem with my Sport .

I guess as we pay less we got to expect less because less is what we get .

My favorite saying is spit in one hand and wish in the other to see what gets full the fastest.

Oh don’t get me wrong but I am thinking about buying the 540 to play around with but I too have a grandson waiting in the wing  for it .

Chuck 

If you are considering one for your grandson realize that the Vanquish 540 is a pure 5 tone machine, no apparent option to dial it down to 2 or even 3 tones, if that matters.  Again, lots of design compromises, and to me, some of the “locked in” settings don’t necessarily make sense to me even for novice detectorists.

Mr. Goldman

With 9 grandkids I need all theses cheap detectors I can get my hands on . I still got a daughter and son that just got married last year. So you see it may be more on the way one day. Just think I was the last at one time. I don’t sing joy to the world anymore. I’ve added enough joy .

Chuck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuke em said:

I would go with 1/8 in but Gray ghosts are so good on Minelab....

Are you familiar with the Gray Ghost Gold Series with 3.5 mm (1/8") plug?  Rob has them:

https://www.robsdetectors.com/detectorpro-gray-ghost-gold-series-headphones-for-minelab-equinox-series-or-gold-monster-1000/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

If you are considering one for your grandson realize that the Vanquish 540 is a pure 5 tone machine, no apparent option to dial it down to 2 or even 3 tones, if that matters.  Again, lots of design compromises, and to me, some of the “locked in” settings don’t necessarily make sense to me even for novice detectorists.

That’s because you keep comparing apples to oranges Chase. Compare the Vanquish to the Ace series and it all makes sense.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Are you familiar with the Gray Ghost Gold Series with 3.5 mm (1/8") plug?  Rob has them:

https://www.robsdetectors.com/detectorpro-gray-ghost-gold-series-headphones-for-minelab-equinox-series-or-gold-monster-1000/

Only way to go in my opinion for those who want to stay wired and avoid adapters. And works with Equinox and Gold Monster also. I just wish they had dual volume controls due to my uneven hearing, but for regular folks one volume control is simpler.

• Like 1

Chase

This kid is really not a kid anymore being he’s in college and this makes the third detector I’ve given him .

Then I have a want to be Treasure hunter friend that I’ve given two detectors  too . The last one was a Fisher two box but that’s a investment into him .haha

Chuck 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Chase

This kid is really not a kid anymore being he’s in college and this makes the third detector I’ve given him .

Then I have a want to be Treasure hunter friend that I’ve given two detectors  too . The last one was a Fisher two box but that’s a investment into him .haha

Chuck 

OK - I thought you were trying to introduce someone to detecting, 

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s because you keep comparing apples to oranges Chase. Compare the Vanquish to the Ace series and it all makes sense.

All I was saying was for a novice detectorist, 3 tones (like the Ace series) might be more appropriate in Chuck's grandson's case as you have no way of lowering the tones on the 540 without downgrading to the 440. (turns out that was moot for Chuck's adult grandson).  Nevertheless, just a simple tweak on the 540 UI (selectable 3 or 5) tones and a novice detectorist could learn AND grow with the Vanquish 540 and have wireless, etc.  5 tones might be a lot for a novice to take on from a learning curve standpoint, so for lack of a simple tweak, most newbies might find the 440 a better fit which is the Ace 400's direct competition.  ML perhaps missed an opportunity to sway some newbies to the 540 by simply enabling tones to be simplified as a user setting, that's all like the switchable iron bias setting.  Sorry about getting my fruits all mixed up.  I'm always struggling to eat healthier.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I’d rather they tried to educate newbies by including 50 tones on the 540. Forget notching, just run wide open full tones from day one with any detector you get is my advice. If they had full tones on the 540 I’d even consider it but I just can’t detect effectively running anything less as it removes to much audio intelligence.

• Like 1