Lower Rod For TDI To Minelab Coils

rled2005

Has anyone found a lower shaft for White's TDI to adapt to Minelab coils or coils made for Minelab correctly without extra rubber washers? Tecknetic's lower shaft comes close but is too short.

1486361150_andy6.thumb.jpg.0ab852f298c7494d9d8af26b86c58898.jpg1552029746_sl_air_test.thumb.jpg.9ab7c5aa424eb95f9b175a1ff4e77b88.jpg1490437632_winners1.thumb.jpg.22a8bbd5a476c763b72b6fd9614d7a5d.jpg

When using Minelab compatible coils such as Nugget Finder Sadie or Detech 8" mono, I use Minelab lower rods. They are the same diameter as the White's. Just need to fit a new spring clip. Use quality steel spring clips. Fit the coil to the rod, use the cam lock to hold the lower rod in place after you have adjusted it for length, balance etc. Use the White's upper to work out where to drill new holes in the Minelab lower rod. Drill holes and fit new spring clip, works well. The Docs Detecting carbon fibre rods I use are longer than the standard White's rods and are close to the length of the 'tall man' rods.  There will be no flex and your detecting rig will be tight regardless of the size of coil.  All the best Karelian.

1561544776_img_1164_edited.jpg

1561544796_img_1170_edited.jpg

• Like 1

I have an Equinox lower shaft, but it’s outside diameter is larger than the TDI upper shaft. So, Doc’s detector shaft will work, apparently?

Minelab GPX series lower shafts. Doc's detecting lowers are made for GPX machines etc. Yes perfect fit for all TDI uppers. Just need to fix the spring clip set up. Karelian

Just now, karelian said:

Minelab GPX series lower shafts. Doc's detecting lowers are made for GPX machines etc. Yes perfect fit for all TDI uppers. Just need to fix the spring clip set up. Karelian

Thank you for the info!

I always just used the Minelab lower rods. I never even bothered to change the difference in locking tab arrangements as the White’s twist lock was firm enough to hold the lower rod in place without it.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3534-minelab-coil-on-whites-tdi/

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/1062-minelab-pi-coil-on-whites-tdi/

• Like 1

For my NF Sadie coil, I just installed shims. Works fine. Made them sort of longish, so they can't rotate.

Jim

• Like 1

I had a chance to go out and use the NF 12x8 evolution coil. Holy @#*%! That is one powerful coil. Down on the river I was going through some bedrock. I found a nickel that’s probably been there for quite awhile. The detector was snorting, grunting and going into overload at a nickel at 5 inches. Found some bits of small sinkers, but no gold! 😫 I had to keep the mini pick at least 30” away to keep it from picking it up. I was able to run the sensitivity up to max without problems. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There are basically two ways to put a Minelab Coil on a TDI.  Use the White’s lower rod with a lot of “spacers”, modify a Minelab lower rod by drilling holes on the sides and moving the "spring clip" or an Excalibur lower rod where the “button” is on the side like Whites instead of the normal Minelab bottom position.