Tesoro Pantera VLF Discriminator Metal Detector

My Pantera.  I scored an absolutely pristine one, complete with a nice Kellyco sticker on the arm rest!

Just beginning to use it on some test targets around the yard. The notch is interesting - I could knock out zinc ones without losing nickels or dimes - much more to learn there.

One very surprising thing is this thing is really deep in AM. 3 times the discrim air test on targets sitting on the ground with a slightly negative (minus) GB setting.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

My Pantera.  I scored an absolutely pristine one, complete with a nice Kellyco sticker on the arm rest!

Just beginning to use it on some test targets around the yard. The notch is interesting - I could knock out zinc ones without losing nickels or dimes - much more to learn there.

One very surprising thing is this thing is really deep in AM. 3 times the discrim air test on targets sitting on the ground with a slightly negative (minus) GB setting.

Congratulations Rick!

Scoring a mint Pantera is rare,  Great find definitely keep this model.  It’s a super neat detector for parks and even school yards if you can still find one open to public.  If after high conductive coins, you’ll be digging copper pennies, dimes and quarters all day.

Mine came from the UK,  Super nice lady used it for relic hunting and school yards. Only had to replace coil,  current coil came off an Outlaw. 

Between the Pantera and Golden uMax,  I’d rather use the Pantera. Check your home mail box tomorrow,  that little piglet is arriving.

Congrats!

Paul

On 10/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Don’t be afraid of the Cleansweep Paul, it’s my second favorite coil after the Bigfoot for jewelry detecting. Hope you are healing up well... time is catching up with us! :smile:

I mainly decided to post about the Pantera to perk the Tesoro Forum up. I figured with other forums abandoning them we would see more action here but I guess there is not that much to say about detectors people have owned for a long time.

Hello Steve,

Sold the CleanSweep coil earlier this year, just couldn’t see myself using it.  Tried testing it but back to the box it went, someone on eBay bought it.

However,  not the Pantera it’s a keeper.  It’s staying in my Tesoro stable, probably one of my two Tesoro favorites. 

Have a strong feeling Vintage models are coming back !

Paul

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have a nice Pantera I'm thinking of selling. Bought it new back in the day. Not a ton of use. I sent it to Tesoro to have it gone through a couple years back before they went out of business.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rick for passing the Pantera "torch" to me!!😁👍

And thanks too the rest who have added to this post, as information on the Pantera is hard to find elsewhere!! I'm doing my best to keep my Tesoro's in play!! 

Really gonna miss Monte Berry's expertise on them!😔 So any of you offering your "two cents" on DP forum is much appreciated, for any models that you loved! 

BTW, I have both Clean Sweep coils (4 and 5 pin) and the Bigfoot for my MXT All Pro!! Not gonna sell anytime soon!🤔

It's a sickness, I know!! 🤪🍀👍👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Joe D. How is the Pantera performing for you?

• Like 1

Haven't broke it out yet, ( and it won't ever see a beach)!  But I did have the Bandito 2 and the cleansweep out at the beach today; it works fine for shallow recent deposits! (in the dry)!! Anybody need a little clad and a bunch of tent stakes?? 😂 Tent stakes are obvious on most detectors, for those unfamiliar, but I like to get rid of them, (and any other detected junk, of course), so no one gets impaled by one in the feet!!😵

Beach conditions here; and my luck, have been lacking since our back to back hurricanes last year! And renurishment projects only made it worse!! Also had the 800 with the 15", and Tdi SL out today, they didn't fare any better! In fact the Tesoro ended up with the most clad, not that there was alot! A couple of friends fared a bit better than me today, thankfully!!🍀Oh well, can only get better!! Back to the parks for some targets!👍👍

• Like 2