Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Nokta/Makro Simplex+ Vs XP Deus Vs Minelab Equinox

Published on Oct 2, 2019 by EnglandsHistory.

Extreme depth test on multiple buried targets, hammered coins, and a mini hoard of 1.1kg who wins the test???? you decide....metal detecting uk.

• Like 1

Interesting.  If the simplex does as well in a variety of conditions it should be a heck of a deal. Even if it doesn't it will be a heck of a deal for some people in mild grounds.

Those were some tough targets in nasty conditions. I appreciated the redo. The first video was really sketchy with the person using the Nox having bad coil control, sounded like it was in 50 tones and the microphone was 10 feet away at least.

I am glad they took the time in the second video to bury the targets on camera, show settings on each detector, used the same operator and did some turning 90 degrees testing too.

The Simplex did great. I would say 3.5 out of 5 targets. I expected it to since it has Anfibio/Kruzer DNA and those two are as deep as the Nox in most moderate to mild conditions. Anyone looking for a good deal on a capable detector can't go wrong with the Simplex unless some major bugs show up. Hopefully not.

The Deus did about as I expected 3 out of 5. As much as I like the Deus/Orx for many things, you really have to tweak it a lot to be successful on deep targets, iffy audio with iron buzz (would you dig?) and no target ID except for the coin jar.

The Nox did well also 4.5 out of 5 with okay tones and good ID.

I wouldn't mind owning all of them.

Jeff

I don't want to watch that as there as a Deus for sale locally at a VERY good price that I know I'd buy if I watched it 🙂  I don't need another detector right now.

• Haha 2

Deus came in a solid 3rd, your safe from that video. It might have you buying a simplex though. It was kinda funny. They did the simplex first and clearly thought the equinox and deus would do much better so kept playing with the settings on them to dial them in better.

Short summary would be "simplex did just as well at 1/3 price in mild ground on coin type targets buried deep. Surprised testers"

• Like 1

It’s a interesting video but I wish someone would tell them we too have coinage in America. I see depth test on coins that I can’t relate .

If a detector like the Equinox 800 can detect any American coins at 12” I’ll be happy. My reasoning behind that is some of the oldest coins I found had a little more than dust over them . Yes I know we find coins deeper but we don’t date back two thousand years making them.

So detector companies if you want to sell your product to me do your testing over here too . If I don’t like how the end result at least I can understand what they saying..

I’ll thank you ahead.

Chuck 

• Like 2

I'm sure videos from the US are coming. It just looks like people in the UK got them a bit quicker. 

Lacky

I’m sure we will in due tell but at my age I need to know what I like best. My reasoning is I need to tell my wife what detector I want in the coffin with me when I go.

Lacky you may not know this but they stop prospectors from coming in the main part of Heaven. It’s just not  because they were digging up the streets but they didn’t cover their holes either. I’m still going to try to sneak in the back door . 

The Best To All!

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was surprised to see that they didn't (apparently) ground balance the Simplex+, or try different settings or modes.

For the other two detectors, they ground balanced and tweaked.  

What's the point in comparing detectors when you don't give them all an equal shot?

I thought the Simplex came off looking pretty well myself. I appreciate people even taking the time they took to do this, shoot the video, and post it. All for free.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Redneck
      My Simplex arrived today, and of course its snowing and 25 degrees out.  Yesterday it was 75.  So I'm stuck inside for a few days and  figured I might as well make the most of the situation.  
      Very well made unit.      Here are some Target ID numbers, air testing,  Silver half... 94  .Silver  25c …...90,   silver dime  ...83,   nickle...25, one cent copper...73, 1c zinc  66,  $1 gold coin...22,  $2.50 gold....38, $5 gold, ….56.   I like the wide spacing between the coins at the upper end of the scale. 
      TRASH...……. rusty bottle cap....30's to 50's, plated cap....55,  round pulltab with tail extended....30,  round pulltab with tail bent over the ring....36,  tail.....21, square tab....30, 3/4 " long lead fishing weight.....38.  Alum twist cap...68.             
      The relic mode tested out the deepest , followed by all metal , then park mode.  I 
      In relic mode, I manually set up the GB at 90, full sensitivity , volume at 4, no headphones. Inside my 12 x 24' shop with 3 fluorescent lite fixtures and a pellet stove cranking out heat. 
      Repeatable audio signal,  50c silver …...17"...…. VID readout 11"...……...25c silver ,  14"  &10"...……...10c silver, 13" & 9",  5c......14" &11",  1c copper, 14" &10" ,  Ultra thin womans 14k gold ring......13"  &10"
      $1 gold coin, 11" & 8",  2.50 gold coin..13" &10",  4% gold coin...15" & 10".   
      In park mode with is 3 tone, and a faster speed, for better separation,  same settings,  as the relic mode,   solid audio & solid VID readout is as follows.  50C....13" & 11", 25c....12" & 10", 10c....10" & 9",
      5c....12" & 10",  1c..10" & 9",  ultra thin gold 14k gold ring.....10"  & 9" ,  $1 gold...9" & 6",  2.50 gold..11"  & 9", $5 gold..12" & 10".  
      Air depths in all metal mode  were about an inch greater than the audio in park mode. 
      These are all air tests, it will be interesting how this unit does in real soil testing conditions.  
      I had an EQ800 and loved it, but had to let it go in summer when my wife ran up some hefty medical bills.  This unit is waterproof like the EQ,  but an affordable price tag( for me).  I think I will really like the expanded target readout range.  That was one thing I disliked about the EQ, was the compressed  VID numbers.  The EQ was one heck of a performer , but I think I will have just as much fun with this unit!  When it warms up I will get out and share my results , thoughts and opinions!  HH.  Red

• By phrunt
      My new T2 arrived this week so I decided I'd take it out for a test run today, I haven't bothered detecting football fields before, it never really crossed my mind to do so especially small town football fields that barely ever get used.  I think the last time I even saw people on this thing was about a year ago and they were riding a horse 🙂
      I guess back in time it was probably a popular place and my results today show this.  This is going to be more of a picture story as the pictures tell 1000 words! 
      I started using the T2 with Mars Tiger coil and within two minutes of arriving I had my first coin, then another, then another..... it was nuts, coins everywhere and very little junk, I was finding nice old coins, possibly one of my oldest in a while too

Silver 🙂

1938 British Penny

The T2 was getting good depth, easily hitting on coins with good ID's, another silver!

1948 Penny -  Now NZ currency, not British like the older Pennies, we used some British currency until 1967. 
      Prior to 1933 United Kingdom currency was the official legal tender of New Zealand, although Australian coins and notes were also generally accepted.
      The first New Zealand penny was minted in 1940. The penny ran until 1965, when New Zealand stopped minting pre-decimal coins in preparation for decimilisation in 1967.

I have no idea what this thing is

This is the football field I was detecting, under the goal posts and along the end of the field had a good collection of coins,  I guess from all the diving with the ball and coins in the players pockets, I don't know much about football, probably the only NZ male who has no clue about the game 🙂

My oldest find of the day, a British 1912 One Penny

It was quite deep down but the T2 banged on it real hard with a solid ID.  At this point I decided I'd go home and gear up better as this place obviously has a lot of good old coins.  I was only using my T2 with Carrot and Lesche digging tool which was hard work with all the coins being so deep.    I wanted a bigger coil to cover more ground but there was no way I was going to strap on the 15" Teknetics coil to continue using the T2 as it weighs a tonne.  I opted for the Equinox with it's 15" coil  and almost straight away after turning it on, another coin

1950 NZ One Penny.  I left the bit of dirt on the coil up the top it came out of, I love when you get the impression of the coin in the soil.

Another silver, 1934 Shilling

This is the hole it came from, I always recheck my holes and I'm glad I did, another target in the hole, then another... this was crazy

3 Silvers in the hole so far, 1934 Shilling, 1934 Shilling and a 1946 Sixpence, I was sure this was it but I did another check and off to the side of the hole, ANOTHER SILVER

Another 1934 Shilling, 4 silvers in one hole, incredible!   Someone had a bad day.

1964 Sixpence... the coins just kept coming, all old ones.  No longer are they made of silver in 1964...

Nice and deep though
      +++++
      My first modern coin, a $2

But look how deep it was, it was deeper than a lot of far older coins.... weird!

Another two in one hole, just one cent coins from back when NZ had one cent coins.

Another coin leaving a cool impression of itself in the soil, just a one cent I think

It sure a lot of ground to cover, I'll be at this place for weeks... plenty more coins to find I'm sure.  Time to head back to the car, with my coil to the soil.

Another for the road 🙂 Double sided impression on the soil with this one.  I couldn't possibly put up a photo of every coin find as there were just too many, all in about 3 hours detecting.

The good stuff

The bad stuff... not a bad ratio, good stuff far outweighed bad stuff, unusual for me.... I'll be back there tomorrow.... and the next day.... and the next day 🙂

• By Flowdog
      At last, I am meeting an old friend for our first detecting session together. We bought our Equinoxs last March and I have used mine a lot. He hasn't used his very much. It just dawned on me that I don't know how to adjust our machines to reduce/eliminate interference with each other. The manual says to keep about 45 feet apart. That is my recollection, but I will check that simple factoid against my simple memory. But I am hoping to stay closer if it is possible to adjust settings.
      My instinct would be to go through my normal routine first- before turning on his detector. Recently, I have my pinpointer on before I turn my detector on (thanks Steve). This has nearly eliminated pinpointer jitters in my headphones. I plan to turn both pinpointers on before I set up my unit as usual. Once all is set, then I will have him turn on #2 and.set it up and noise cancel it against the competition. Any and all suggestions to revise my plan are welcome. 
      Last consideration, which is highly improbable, is using WM08 to share audio on a single machine. The one time we shared audio was in the cockpit of his Cessna, and we reverted back to 5th grade behavior at 5000 feet. We barely made it back. I have high confidence that it would be extremely unproductive to be linked to him for any amount of time. He would be in full agreement.
      -curtis
    • By Chase Goldman
      Did some CW relic hunting in Virginia this week using a variety of detectors including a GPX, Equinox 800, and a Deus and came away with some great relic finds. In a single hole I found a lead disc which is a possible backing to breast plate, part of a sword belt hanger, a dropped Sharps minie ball, and a purposely flattened Eagle I Coat button (possible poker chip) along with some glass and plate shards including a piece that had the word "Baltimore" on it. the Equinox got me into that hole, probably due to the lead disc, despite terribly hot soil. At another site, I hit my bucket lister, my first US Cavalry bit boss along about a foot down using a GPX 4800 with some other dropped and fired bullets and balls, some cannon friction primers, and other pieces of brass including a flat button found elsewhere in the fields. All in all, it was a great week with that bit boss being the highlight. Thanks for stopping by.

• By BeachHunter
      I just received the shipping notice from bigboyshobbies that the Simplex has shipped. Awesome!🍺

• By 2Valen
      I finally broke down and got serious about updating my 800, and like most people that has had problems when using Windows 7 I looked for a fix.
      After a short time of confusion about what was going on and not really finding any answers, I turned to YouTube and found the solution.
      Simply put the problem is not the program but the compatibility to Win 7.
      So all one has to do is the following:
      Before running the program,
      Highlight and right click on the program and scroll down to troubleshoot compatibility.
      Click on troubleshoot compatibility and click on Try recommended settings, click next, and then start program.
      That is all you need to do to get it to work.

I hope that this helps someone else out there.