Nox Updates Using Chromebook??

walkerrj

Does anybody know if a Chromebook can be used for Nox Software Updates?  The Minelab website has only instructions for a Mac or Windows.  Just wondering as my only computer is a Chromebook.  

If your Chromebook has enough memory you can install Windows inside Virtualbox and update through the virtual machine. I only run Linux at home and keep a virtual Windows machine just for this sort of thing.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 67GTA said:

If your Chromebook has enough memory you can install Windows inside Virtualbox and update through the virtual machine. I only run Linux at home and keep a virtual Windows machine just for this sort of thing.

Interesting, so the ML update executable was able to recognize the Equinox and upgrade your machine using a virtual windows machine running on a chromebook?

Update:  I looked into this and running VB within the virtual linux machine now standard with Chrome OS on a Chromebook does not appear to be all that straight forward regardless of whether or not the Chromebook has the storage space.  Plus, for total compatibility with the ML update app which requires Win 10 (which requires a separate license) or specific compatibilty mode settings if using a "free" Win 7 VM.  Also, there appears to be potential issues with with getting the VM to see the Chromebook USB ports.  Finally, if you want to run Windows in VB, the Chrombook needs to not be running an ARM processor.  See the Chrome OS Q&A thread on this page for more info.  Seems a Chromebook user would be better off just borrowing a friend's Mac or PC or going to the library to get this done, unless 67GTA was successful at actually running the ML update on a Chromebook and not from a dedicated Linux machine running Win 10 in Vbox.  There may be limited use Chrome OS or Android apps that could be used to run Win programs natively in the OS but that seems hit or miss and I personally really wouldn't want to be running a science experiment when trying to flash firmware, quite frankly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, looks like I'm headed to the local library!!

• Like 1

I have it working on an x86 proc, but you have to use virtualbox source code and compile your own kernel modules to get usb support. I haven't tried getting it to work on any arm based machines. If you aren't familiar with using the command line, it can make you pull your hair out. Did you get it updated?

There may be limited use Chrome OS or Android apps that could be used to run Win programs natively in the OS but that seems hit or miss and I personally really wouldn't want to be running a science experiment when trying to flash firmware, quite frankly.

I have bricked a motherboard trying to install a bios update from linux using Wine windows emulator