Hello - Tasmania, Australia

swaterhouse

Hello 🙂

I'm Sam from Tasmania, Australia.

I'm new to all of this and I had a children's metal detector when I was bout 9 years of age and loved the thrill of it. Now being 26 after all these years the passion to metal detect is still strong yet I haven't since being a young child.

I've done literally about 30+ hours of research into metal detectors, highbanker, dredge set ups etc.

I'm going to focus at the moment on my first purchase being a metal detector.

After much research. I've decided to proceed with the NOKTA MAKRO SIMPLEX + (with wireless headphones) - $629 AUD ( I can afterpay this - how exciting ). I plan to use this for everything except gold hunting.

Soon as well after as mentioned much research, I'm falling towards to the QED PL2 ($1950 AUD). This detector just had a new update and reading reviews from different forums are mind blowing the price for this pi machine. It's best for my budget I've decided with the Detech 11" Ultra Sensing Coil then I will when I learn the device have an addition large search coil being a 18".. undecided but I don't need to worry about this yet! DD coils are now able to be used on QED PL2 so will have to do research on coils.

Anyways, Just wanted to say hello and you'll be hearing plenty from me as my future kicks off with this as I've chosen to not work at the present moment for an employer I will be spending much time prospecting and soon will have a GO PRO HERO 8. I have a friend here near me with a GPX 5000 so I will run some comparisons with SIMPLEX + and also eventually the QED set up if I proceed with that unless I decide to get the GPX 4500 used for about $3500 AUD. DECISIONS!!!

Much love 😉

Sam

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! My favorite uncle lives in Hobart. I've always wanted to visit.

1 hour ago, Lacky said:

Welcome aboard! My favorite uncle lives in Hobart. I've always wanted to visit.

That's awesome! It's such a beautiful place Tasmania. Hobart is a like a mini (Melbourne, Australia). Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world "apparently" and also it NEVER gets sticky in heat here! No heavy humidity like on the mainland (being all around Australia). 

I hope you get to experience this place one day.

50 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Welcome to the forum! Simplex is a great place to start, and no reason to not hunt gold with it either. Some places have so much trash that a PI will wear you out digging it.

Thanks Steve! Good to know!

Welcome to the forum from another Tassie Detectorist . I am up in the Devenport area of the island.  I use the Whites V3i. whites Dual Field P.i. Vallon VMH3CS  which is the deepest for beach work. It will be interesting to see the capabilities of the Simplex as Nokta Macro  have some very interesting  beepers. Best of luck with what ever you choose.

Regards Pinpointa

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 4:06 AM, phrunt said:

Welcome Sam

Definitely give the Simplex a run on gold.  The 12khz frequency of it is quite capable of finding some nuggets and being waterproof you'll be able to hit some of those Tasmanian creeks, I am sure you'll pop up some nuggets doing that.

The QED is an great PI for an amazing price, I'm sure you'd be happy with it and it's a very easy to use PI for someone relatively new to detecting.   What's the soil mineralizaton like in Tasmania?   I would imagine rather low? If that's the case the Simplex may surprise you.  If you do get a QED I don't think DD coils are worth investing in, it has no discrimination and handles EMI well with Mono coils so the benefits to a DD are very limited.  I think the DD feature was mainly added so the QED can support the concentric coils and a bonus to adding that support was now DD coils can be used.  The GPX as you know is a workhorse, it goes without saying it's a great detector.

Your path reminds me a lot of my own. Good luck and I look forward to following your journey.

Thanks bro 🙂

On 10/4/2019 at 8:47 AM, pinpointa said:

Welcome to the forum from another Tassie Detectorist . I am up in the Devenport area of the island.  I use the Whites V3i. whites Dual Field P.i. Vallon VMH3CS  which is the deepest for beach work. It will be interesting to see the capabilities of the Simplex as Nokta Macro  have some very interesting  beepers. Best of luck with what ever you choose.

Regards Pinpointa

Cool to see local 🙂 Thank you!

Gday Sam , i am a fellow Taswegian based in the NE of the state . If you are interested in field days chasing gold/relics or gemstones then i suggest you join PMAT [ prospectors and miners association of Tasmania ] . All the best with your future hunting , gold is a tough game in Tassie .