Sign in to follow this  
GB_Amateur

Chris Ralph's Video Review Of Fisher Gold Bug Pro

Ran across this while watching YouTube videos on gold prospecting:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oh my, he started the GBP gold rush in Africa.... that backfired with the clones.  Good video, thanks.  I do like the Bug.

• Haha 1

I didn't say that I started the GBP gold rush in West Africa.  I found gold in a spot the Africans had not worked previously and in time it yielded some nice gold for them. However there were all sorts of detectors and fakes already in use in Africa by that time. The GBPro is the cheapest detector that really has the sensitivity needed for gold prospecting. That's the point of the video. 

I've also done a second video since then on how to set up and use the GBPro for prospecting. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Reno Chris said:

I've also done a second video since then on how to set up and use the GBPro for prospecting. 

• Like 3

On 10/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, Reno Chris said:

I didn't say that I started the GBP gold rush in West Africa.  I found gold in a spot the Africans had not worked previously and in time it yielded some nice gold for them. However there were all sorts of detectors and fakes already in use in Africa by that time. The GBPro is the cheapest detector that really has the sensitivity needed for gold prospecting. That's the point of the video. 

Thanks for doing the videos, I especially like the setup for prospecting video, it's a keeper and the best instructional video I've ever seen on the Bug.    I was just having a bit of a joke about the Africa clones thing 🙂

I really like your videos!

I especially liked when you showed the GBP out of ground balance as in our soils I've never had that happen so it was good to see what to look for if it ever happens.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:52 PM, Reno Chris said:

Thanks for that video, too, Chris.  Wish it were available 4 years ago when I acquired my GB-Pro. but better late than never.  I did notice an error in the YouTube text description of the video:  The Fisher Gold Bug 2 used in this video is an excellent detector. If you are interested in finding out more about Fisher Lab’s Gold Bug 2,... (emphasis mine)

Obviously you meant 'Pro', not '2', but some viewers might not pick up on that.

I have only bullet points of topics I want to cover, and errors dont easily get caught.
My latest video is on mining gold and sapphire in Montana, and while recording, I  mis-pronounced the name of Helena, the capitol of the state, even though I know the correct pronunciation. It happens.

• Like 1

Like your work there. We forgive you. Just wondering as a newbie.."lurking"...if you have ever poked around Virginia City Montana gold belt? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 1864hatter
      So I managed to squeeze in another half day outing to my spot up in the mountains. More digging and moving boulders uncovered another 3 pieces of gold for 1.5g. The larger piece is 1g and is quite coarse / rough for this area. The black material is slowly being dissolved by hydrochloric acid. The first photo shows the creek. A little bit of water with a lot of boulders. Historically this creek has produced nuggets up to 12oz, I'm sure under one of the boulders there will be one for me. Will probably be a month before I get time for another look. I'm trying to finish building my house extension in my spare time and my two young daughters keep my busy.... 

• By Steve Herschbach
      Update January 2019 - I started reviewing detectors on the internet over twenty years ago. At the time it seemed I was providing a service since good information was hard to find. I enjoyed reviewing machines in detail for those who were interested. The internet was more friendly back in those days.
      Times have changed, and these days everyone with a video camera is a metal detector expert. In particular there is a trend where industry insiders like me are considered tainted sources of information, not to be trusted. Personally, I don’t need people questioning my integrity. I was doing this for fun and that sucked all the fun out of it. I am therefore no longer accepting invitations to review metal detecting equipment. I may continue to work with engineers on product development but in general will recuse myself from publicly discussing the equipment involved. If anyone wants to use me as part of their marketing efforts they can hire me outright. I'm available and will consider job offers that involve the sales and marketing of metal detectors.
      My thanks to those of you who have expressed your appreciation for my efforts over the years. You can find my collected detector reports here. The focus on this website going forward will be individual user reviews as part of the new Metal Detector Database with User Reviews. Check it out! 

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Another hunt with Tarsacci today.  Found some relics mostly musket balls.  First target of the day located with Tarsacci I did head head to head with XP Deus wearing 9” Hf coil.
      Only head to head done today.
      You will hear in this video where I actually had Deus ground balanced using 14 kHz.  A 72 was in phase window.  I disn’t  do another GB when switching to 28.8khz.  As I had no clean place close to do.  In my ground if I would have done GB at 28.8khz what I usually see is a phase reading 3 points below what pumping GB shows for 14 KHz.  So imo the GB being off a mere 3 points approx didn’t have anything to do with Deus struggling to get targett from the one direction using 28 kHz (especially after seeing depth of target recovered).  Both Tarsacci and Deus Hf coils here are 9” wide but Tarsacci Coil is longer.  Tarsacci is no slouch in iron.
      This object found checked with magnet and is totally nonferrous.
      Will post a pic of closeup.

• By Tnsharpshooter
      Two videos.
      I have used the term iron range when talking of Etrac here loosely.  I recommend folks wanting more info if necessary to refer to Etrac User’s Manual and look closely at factory relic program to get a better idea of where ferrous reports in relation to the conductive line perspective wise.
      Etrac was run in videos at 50 conductive tones,
      Tarsacci sensitivty setting at level 6.
      All detectors balanced to actual ground except Etrac, but swept Etrac a little beforehand to insure ground tracking was good.
      Most of these targets are I think challenged in one fashion or another.
      Enjoy

• By mn90403
      Most of us have had several detectors in our hunting careers.  Some have been good to us and we've paid for the detector many times over.  Other detectors have been so so.  I'm going to make a list of detectors that I own or owned and say which ones paid for themselves.  Some of this depends on just getting better or lucky at detecting and some depends on the detector itself.  I'm trying to give maximum credit to the detector.
      GOLD DETECTORS
      Minelab 5000                Yes
      Minelab 2300                No
      Minelab 7000                No
      Gold Bug Pro                 No

BEACH AND RELIC DETECTORS
      White's 6000 Di Pro      No
      Minelab SE Pro             Yes
      CTX 3030                      Yes
      Minelab Equinox          Yes
    • By 1864hatter
      Here are two photos of gold found over the last two trips. This gold was found by removing the gravel in the steam bed and exposing the bedrock. The bedrock was then detected. On both trips several of my gold hunting friends came along. The bigger nugget was 5g and very tricky to recover. Lodged deeply in a crevice under white water. The other pieces total 1.3g.  I hope to have time for one more outing before I have to go back to work. I'll keep you posted. Merry Christmas!