Sign in to follow this  
Marc Andre

Advice For Newbie

New to the game. I went along with a buddy the other day and had the time of my life. Any advice for the new guy?

You might be more specific. Advice about what? My advice is get a detector and go find lots of gold :smile:

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember if you do buy a detector it won’t find a thing standing in a closet.

When you just starting out dig everything and make a note of what it was . If your detector has a ID be sure to make note of that in relation to the item found.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Read all the pertinent posts on this forum...probably all the answers are waiting for you to read...

fred

• Like 2

Marc, 

-A lot of people start off with a VLF detector capable of finding gold.  That is a relatively inexpensive way to start.  However, many of those people get frustrated fast because they aren't finding gold.  Why?  Because those VLF machines are more successfully used by experienced detectorists than newbies.  I suggest you try to find a good used Minelab SDC 2300, or buy a new one if you can afford it.  You will save yourself money in the long run and a lot of frustration.  In my opinion, the 2300 is the ultimate starter detector.  

Detect where gold has been found in the past.  Join a Prospecting Club.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

I suggest you try to find a good used Minelab SDC 2300, or buy a new one if you can afford it.  You will save yourself money in the long run and a lot of frustration.  In my opinion, the 2300 is the ultimate starter detector.

I second that! 👍

• Like 1

Don't spend a lot of money, though good equipment can be pricey but worth it, the basics will go far.  Don't expect to get rich, the experience is rich enough, but one can dream.  Don't chase gold when you finally find gold, the grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence, stories of where gold was found are just that~ where it was~ but you can hope something was left behind when you get done with your patch.  Lots of don'ts but lots of do's as well.

Do read up on prospecting, knowledge here and from other sources is invaluable, and familiarize yourself with what your endeavoring to do.  Do be prepared for the environment you'll be in, bad things happen even to the most careful of us.  Do try to go with others, friends/clubs or new chums, this just makes the adventure that much better;  but if you do strike out on your own Do tell other's where you'll be and when to expect your next contact with them.  And contrary to Don't chase gold, you dont have a patch yet, Do go where others have gone before to increase the likely hood of finding your own patch.

Most of all Do have a good time with all of it.  The easy bits, the hard bits and the time's in between make prospecting a great hobby.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Marc Andre said:

New to the game. I went along with a buddy the other day and had the time of my life. Any advice for the new guy?

All of what has been said above. For starters, have a look at the size of most of your Buddy gold Have a few similar size nuggets (or lead) at different depths in your gold area and take note up the signal volume and width, so you know what you are after.

• Like 1

patience, persistence. and a whole bunch tenacity helps.  When you get disgusted....keep swinging.  Always keep in mind that you won't find anything sitting at home.....

Where are you located and what are your goals?  I see a lot of advice on gold detecting, but if you aren't in an area where gold lives, the best gold detector ever made (or every one of them, for that matter) won't find you gold.  If you're in a non gold producing area then I assume coins/jewelry/relics/caches are what you're after.  In that case the choice of detector will likely be different.  And maybe you already have a detector.  Speak up and give us some deteails!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Here is the latest copy of the Garrett Searcher - basically a compilation of recent finds by Garrett users. It is always interesting to see all the amazing stuff from all over the world being found with metal detectors.
      I would encourage everyone to look at it and pay attention to the number of great finds made with the Garrett Ace 250. This is a nice little detector sold for $212 and considered a low end moderate performer. Yet many fabulous finds are made with it, including even a gold nugget now and then.
      There is an extremely important lesson here and one that drives my basic philosophy of detecting. There is of course a focus on high performance detectors, but I very much believe it is all about the operator. It is about putting yourself on good ground and mostly about lots of hours. Even relatively inexpensive detectors with moderate performance can deliver tremendous results in the right hands. To have fun and enjoy success in metal detecting does not require a top end detector or a huge outlay of money. People are making finds every day that prove that. Food for thought.
      Here are a few nugget hunting excerpts:

• By Erik Oostra
      Has anyone else been harassed whilst prospecting?
      Whilst trying my luck at my local beach this morning I was stopped by a tourist and his family wanting to know if I’d found anything.. after I told him ‘no luck yet’ he called me ‘a bloody scab’.. I was a bit surprised at his reaction and asked him why he thought so.. instead of answering he demanded to know what I did with all the gold rings I found.. I told him I’ve never found a gold ring in my life, only coins and a shitload of beer bottle tops.. it was only when he realised I live on the island that he backed off, leaving me a bit perturbed..  
      Has anyone else had a similar experience?
      This has also left me to wonder what I really would do if I found someone’s cherished jewellery.. I guess that I’d first try to find its owner.. maybe through the cops (lost property)?
      Or is ‘Finders Keepers’ the first rule of the game?  
    • By unox
      Gday guys, I have the opportunity of buying a used Deus for a little less than a new ORX. I have been mulling over this for weeks, does anyone have any advice. I really only want an XP to be able to put it into a backpack, trek into the bush and use it for relic hunting, and a little gold here and there.The warranty factor is something that is swaying me towards the new ORX machine...but I know the Deus has many more features and options. I already have a Equinox 800 for beaches, coins and relic's but I am just wanting something easier for a few locations where I want to travel in stealth wise.
      So pretty much the question I am asking what would you do, Buy a S/Hand Xp Deus or Buy a new Xp ORX with the desired coil (round hf coil) and Warranty.
      cheers guys.

• By OFS
      I am getting a GPX5000 and have a new problem to solve, what is the best way to transport it when flying?
      Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers
    • By Bobbo
      Hello all,
      My soon-to-be-fiancée and I are heading to Arizona in a few weeks. She's a Science teacher and loves ALL things space. I want to take her meteorite hunting but have NO clue where to start. For the folks whose ever been to Holbrook, I have a few questions:
      1. Are there metal detector rental places nearby? We're flying in from Florida so I'd like to purchase/rent when we get there.
      2. If we drive into Holbrook, are there maps telling you where to go hunt? I'll continue to look for GPS coordinates before I go. I've read folks talking about railroad tracks...
      3. Are metal detectors the best way to find something? Can you "drag a magnet" or use the naked eye?
      Thanks for any replies. ANY help will be much appreciated.
      -Bobbo

• By ukaradag
      Hi all,
      I need some help. I want to buy a detector. But my budget is limited(say i can buy a garret 400i or a fisher gold bug 2). 
      For me the depth is important after that iron discriminatin comes. I wil use it for gold prospecting(!check the picure, with gold what i mean). The depth is around 3 or 4 feet. Can you give me some advises for getting a detector? What kind of detector can detect this kind of treasure?
      Thank you very much.