Advice For Newbie

Remember if you do buy a detector it won’t find a thing standing in a closet.

When you just starting out dig everything and make a note of what it was . If your detector has a ID be sure to make note of that in relation to the item found.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Marc, 

-A lot of people start off with a VLF detector capable of finding gold.  That is a relatively inexpensive way to start.  However, many of those people get frustrated fast because they aren't finding gold.  Why?  Because those VLF machines are more successfully used by experienced detectorists than newbies.  I suggest you try to find a good used Minelab SDC 2300, or buy a new one if you can afford it.  You will save yourself money in the long run and a lot of frustration.  In my opinion, the 2300 is the ultimate starter detector.  

Detect where gold has been found in the past.  Join a Prospecting Club.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

I suggest you try to find a good used Minelab SDC 2300, or buy a new one if you can afford it.  You will save yourself money in the long run and a lot of frustration.  In my opinion, the 2300 is the ultimate starter detector.

I second that! 👍

• Like 1

Don't spend a lot of money, though good equipment can be pricey but worth it, the basics will go far.  Don't expect to get rich, the experience is rich enough, but one can dream.  Don't chase gold when you finally find gold, the grass is seldom greener on the other side of the fence, stories of where gold was found are just that~ where it was~ but you can hope something was left behind when you get done with your patch.  Lots of don'ts but lots of do's as well.

Do read up on prospecting, knowledge here and from other sources is invaluable, and familiarize yourself with what your endeavoring to do.  Do be prepared for the environment you'll be in, bad things happen even to the most careful of us.  Do try to go with others, friends/clubs or new chums, this just makes the adventure that much better;  but if you do strike out on your own Do tell other's where you'll be and when to expect your next contact with them.  And contrary to Don't chase gold, you dont have a patch yet, Do go where others have gone before to increase the likely hood of finding your own patch.

Most of all Do have a good time with all of it.  The easy bits, the hard bits and the time's in between make prospecting a great hobby.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Marc Andre said:

New to the game. I went along with a buddy the other day and had the time of my life. Any advice for the new guy?

All of what has been said above. For starters, have a look at the size of most of your Buddy gold Have a few similar size nuggets (or lead) at different depths in your gold area and take note up the signal volume and width, so you know what you are after.

• Like 1

patience, persistence. and a whole bunch tenacity helps.  When you get disgusted....keep swinging.  Always keep in mind that you won't find anything sitting at home.....

Where are you located and what are your goals?  I see a lot of advice on gold detecting, but if you aren't in an area where gold lives, the best gold detector ever made (or every one of them, for that matter) won't find you gold.  If you're in a non gold producing area then I assume coins/jewelry/relics/caches are what you're after.  In that case the choice of detector will likely be different.  And maybe you already have a detector.  Speak up and give us some deteails!

• Like 1