Ok, Steve, you've branded yourself as a full-fledged, dyed-in-the-wool relic hunter.  No turning back.  Of course you can still hunt for the common, easy stuff in your spare time.  😁

Did your two ancient finds go to the government for evaluation & deterimination of ownership, etc.?  And I don't recall reading if your gold find from last year has been settled.

• Like 2

I still can’t really get my head around “3500 years old”!

I got one gold find back from last year while on this trip, my large “gold flake” which is probably the remains of a thoroughly wiped out Roman gold coin. So I sort of found a gold coin.:smile: My other find, the “votive offering” or whatever it is, has been disclaimed by the museums and is going through the process of getting back to me still. Hopefully not much longer now.

steve-herschbach-gold-sheet.jpg

herschbach-celtic-votive-offering-details-2018.jpg

Treasure is any non-coin precious metal or items found in groups of several or more. So single finds of bronze, like my ax head and bust, will be coming back to me for sure.

Relics get old for me quick. People would be horrified by the number of buttons and musket balls I tossed in the hedge or ditch. I am more into quality than quantity except for gold or silver, where simple weight matters. My first trip I kept every single button etc. but last trip and this one the weeding was pretty severe. I only kept buttons with writing or patterns, watch winders, lead seals and tokens... the rarer more interesting stuff.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My other find, the “votive offering” or whatever it is, has been disclaimed by the museums and is going through the process of getting back to me still.

It amazes me that they don't consider this worth keeping, technicality or not.  I guess that's good for you in some ways, but it's their loss, IMO.  Anyway, the UK system beats the heck out of ours.

• Like 1

The magnitude of finds there makes this nothing special, and they do have budget constraints. If they buy every little thing that comes along, they have no money for something really serious when it comes along. Take a look at the Colchester Club home page for examples. Mine is shown there but is far from the best find in my opinion, closer to last place than first.

Example of a Colchester Museum type find

• Like 1

Steve-

Great hunt. Congratulations on the Axe head and the Roman bust. By the way, what numbers did the Axe head come in at on the Nox? The four hammered aren't to shabby either.

I'll be heading to England on the 14th of this month for a 10 day hunt. Like you, looking for the gold, preferably Roman gold.

I'm a bit confused on what you did to the Nox to go to the 'Cherry Pick Mode' by hitting the horseshoe button. Doesn't hitting the horseshoe button put the Nox into all metal?

I know what you mean about the upper back getting sore using the 15" coil. I purchased Steveg's shaft with the counterbalance. What a difference the counterbalance makes. I made a counterbalance unit for my Minelab shaft. It works really well. I'll be using it in England as Steve's shaft, as you say, is to long for most suitcases. 

Again, great hunt with outstanding finds. Hope we can hunt England together again sometime.

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

12 hours ago, unearth said:

Doesn't hitting the horseshoe button put the Nox into all metal?

If in disc mode the horseshoe button puts it in all metal, and if in all metal it puts it in discriminate. It’s a toggle.... otherwise it would take you to all metal and you could never get back to discriminate.

12 hours ago, unearth said:

Steve-

Forgot to ask...why use Park 1 instead of Field 1?

No, why use Field 1 instead of Park 1? :smile:

I do a factory reset, and my machine is by default in Park 1, which I modify as described. If you wish, you could toggle to Field 1 and modify it to end up in the same settings. Park 1 and Field 1 are the same mode except for the presets.

Reminder. These are just my settings. That’s no reason to use them. People ask, I tell, but I make no claims they are “the best” settings. They are simply what I prefer. Others may prefer something different. 

• Like 3